Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Donald Campbell/Coniston Water.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just back after a few days in the Lake District and Mrs LBG had fixed it all up all i had to do was drive,however Coniston Water was on the agenda so we stopped for a coffee in the Yewdale pub and parked by a small church yard where a small cardboard sign had been placed with directions to the Donald Campbell grave and maybe like a few here we can remember 'that day' but it was so simple a tribute but his name lives on 53 years after his death,just like Jim Clark. We went to The Water and the history is still there,very alive. Maybe i am being a silly old romantic. Cambell.jpg

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
My father met him on many an occasion as my grandfather worked on the development of the K7 with him.

If you visit Coniston again the Ruskin museum is worth a visit. They have some recocovered debris and also his helmet from that fateful day.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Another who suffered the same fate but on Loch Ness in 1952 was John Cobb who had held the Land Speed Record three times. As a 10 year old I remember seeing the Pathe News? item at the cinema. No TV for many people in those days.

el punal

Just back after a few days in the Lake District and Mrs LBG had fixed it all up all i had to do was drive,however Coniston Water was on the agenda so we stopped for a coffee in the Yewdale pub and parked by a small church yard where a small cardboard sign had been placed with directions to the Donald Campbell grave and maybe like a few here we can remember 'that day' but it was so simple a tribute but his name lives on 53 years after his death,just like Jim Clark. We went to The Water and the history is still there,very alive. Maybe i am being a silly old romantic. View attachment 125919

If I remember correctly the public interest in land/water speed records was waning at the time. Financial support for Campbell’s project was also in short supply. I believe that those dramatic shots of Campbell’s demise were taken by the Daily Express photographer, he and the reporter were ready to pack their bags as there had been numerous delays in attempting to beat the record.

Again, I stress my recollection of the event is a bit hazy so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It,s just there. History and the serious sense that people and many of them go there just for that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've only been to the Lake District once and absolutely had to take a trip to Coniston because of Donald and felt that atmosphere. It has a real air of darkness and history.

I went in the day and it was sunny and yes it's old.

Been many times lovely area the lakes

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
My father met him on many an occasion as my grandfather worked on the development of the K7 with him.

If you visit Coniston again the Ruskin museum is worth a visit. They have some recocovered debris and also his helmet from that fateful day.

This sounds amazing, was he a technician or a designer? What did your grandfather do?

Britain was at the very pinnacle of this arena.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This sounds amazing, was he a technician or a designer? What did your grandfather do?

Britain was at the very pinnacle of this arena.

It,s just to see the church yard and the a few miles down the road The Water,for me its history apart from a life jacket that was it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here