Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds lining up their Ben White replacement

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He has played every game, and played bloody well, and is obviously highly regarded by a world renowned coach. We could speculate that he has become attached to the club - being first choice and happy are powerful points; don't we all think strongly about our first love?

So you're suggesting he's going to sign for NEWPORT!?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Evening Chaps. Here is the Ben white story from our side.

The facts as Ben White no doubt sees it: whilst on loan at Leeds, he has become a high profile Championship player (we are on TV enough), talked of as a Liverpool target. He has played every game, and played bloody well, and is obviously highly regarded by a world renowned coach. We could speculate that he has become attached to the club - being first choice and happy are powerful points; don't we all think strongly about our first love? He may well be in awe of Bielsa. Crumbs, our whole fan base are, and rightly so. He is no doubt pretty happy and enjoying his football and I'd expect not as many professionals get to experience that as often as we'd imagine.

My club: hard to understand Leeds unless you follow them really. It's a big city and every surrounding town in North, West and East Yorkshire is part of the catchment.You could speculate the population in that catchment isn't far off 2 million. There is the ongoing overseas connection still present from the past, the huge website hits and that big following. We toured in Australia last summer and had a 5K following from down under. Why is that relevant? The club has the feel of a top ten club and the pressure is that of a top ten club. Forget our 16 year absence, the club remains big news. If you can handle playing at Leeds, it's a great pointer to your mental ability to handle that sort of step up. It's quite an addictive all embracing environment and every club hates us; they really do. Most have forum threads about us and the phrase 'cup final' springs to mind when we come to town. Most raise their game against us. It all adds to the sense that this is a a special place and a siege mentality and close knit squad is a result.

What do we know? The club are surprisingly close knit, extremely well run and very few leaks get out now. Ben White is very close to a couple of the players: Roberts and Phillips. We are given the impression by those who write about the club that he would be open to a deal. Leeds have been looking at alternatives but have not written off signing White. Nowadays you know from agents if a player is interested prior to bidding and you discourage links if they aren't going to happen. As we know, player power is dominant now. If Ben White wants to leave, he will leave Brighton. Most of our mob thinks you won't be able to keep hold of him - I think you are safe from relegation so that is not an issue - but that we don't have a chance if Liverpool come sniffing. I'd ponder on whether he would play regularly for them? No of course he wouldn't. He can become an outstanding ball playing defender but . . . has no PL experience and isn't a strong defender or aerially dominant. The way Leeds play hasn't allowed him to be exposed to those weaknesses. It could be there is a rule that says new PL signings cannot be loaned, which means White would go from a regular to a squad player. He has no doubt jumped up a level and would be a 50K a week footballer on a new contract. There is a final small factor that very few outside of Leeds see to know. QSI - the owners of PSG - are going to invest in us following promotion. To what extent and how that works is open to debate. We've heard that they are not happy with how things went in France and want to do things differently BUT with KSA close to buying Newcastle and the UAE already at City, you can imagine how driven their motivations will be.

So Ben White. Lovely player. Been a joy to behold. Hardly put a foot wrong. Would love to have him here. Price? Hmm, could be corona affected but 20-25million (see Mings).

Regards

The bolded part is where Leeds fans get a bit deluded.

What happened to Dale Stephens, and Lewis Dunk ? Who do they play for now ?

(And there is indeed a newish rule that says PL signings cannot be loaned to another PL club in the same transfer window.)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My club: hard to understand Leeds unless you follow them really. It's a big city and every surrounding town in North, West and East Yorkshire is part of the catchment.You could speculate the population in that catchment isn't far off 2 million. There is the ongoing overseas connection still present from the past, the huge website hits and that big following. We toured in Australia last summer and had a 5K following from down under. Why is that relevant? The club has the feel of a top ten club and the pressure is that of a top ten club. Forget our 16 year absence, the club remains big news. If you can handle playing at Leeds, it's a great pointer to your mental ability to handle that sort of step up. It's quite an addictive all embracing environment and every club hates us; they really do. Most have forum threads about us and the phrase 'cup final' springs to mind when we come to town. Most raise their game against us. It all adds to the sense that this is a a special place and a siege mentality and close knit squad is a result.

:bla::bla::bla::bla::bla::bla:

:yawn:

HeadLiner

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
With having a professional gambler at the top of the club, Bloom probably won't sell to a relegation rival. Also, with regards to corona, it is more likely that Bloom will ask for more, not less. Mings will go for less because of relegation, not corona.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
The Mings reference was more a pointer to his price last summer but a player who will most certainly move if Villa drop.

Pretty sure if Bloom accepts White will be sold, he'll be getting the best deal he can for the club no matter who offers.

Interesting that you would view us a relegation rival, especially given how well Wolves and Sheff Utd have done on promotion. It's something of course we have debated on our forums. We have been far and away the best footballing team at this level two years running but are very much aware of how big that gulf is. Half of our squad were, for want of a better word, journeymen Championship players, but by god Bielsa gets them to play like top end PL players. Then you have the QSI factor.

One thing is however known, Bielsa will not change his philosophy. We will press and attack every opponent, so I guess it's going to be a ride and a half.

HeadLiner

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
The bolded part is where Leeds fans get a bit deluded.

What happened to Dale Stephens, and Lewis Dunk ? Who do they play for now ?

(And there is indeed a newish rule that says PL signings cannot be loaned to another PL club in the same transfer window.)

Actually, if you read the preceding sentence, that point was more about the power players have over their futures rather than about any delusion Leeds fans have.

As an aside, I'm not sure we have any delusions. Our recent history trawling the gutter rather does that too you and most of our message boards are rather harsh environments where a sense of doom is more the prevailing mood.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting that you would view us a relegation rival, especially given how well Wolves and Sheff Utd have done on promotion. It's something of course we have debated on our forums. We have been far and away the best footballing team at this level two years running but are very much aware of how big that gulf is. Half of our squad were, for want of a better word, journeymen Championship players, but by god Bielsa gets them to play like top end PL players. Then you have the QSI factor.

One thing is however known, Bielsa will not change his philosophy. We will press and attack every opponent, so I guess it's going to be a ride and a half.

This is utter delusion.

You'll be relegation rivals, because with very few exceptions, that's the lot, of newly promoted sides. Sheffield United included, next season, I'd suspect. Quite why you'd immediately compare to Wolves, rather than Norwich or Villa, I'm not quite sure.

And Bielsa has your journeymen playing 'like top end PL players' because they are playing against Barnsley and Luton, FFS :rolleyes:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Actually, if you read the preceding sentence, that point was more about the power players have over their futures rather than about any delusion Leeds fans have.

As an aside, I'm not sure we have any delusions. Our recent history trawling the gutter rather does that too you and most of our message boards are rather harsh environments where a sense of doom is more the prevailing mood.
The player power mentioned in the previous sentence got Dale Stephens and Lewis Dunk nowhere when dealing with Bloom.

The key to the door is meeting the club valuation, it is as simple as that and player power will not reduce the price tag ( See also W.Zahahahaha ).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With having a professional gambler at the top of the club, Bloom probably won't sell to a relegation rival. Also, with regards to corona, it is more likely that Bloom will ask for more, not less. Mings will go for less because he isn't very good, not corona.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Corrected for you :smile::smile:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha, no that was just a quick grope behind the bike sheds.

Really?

Even though he played more games for Newport (42) than he has for Leeds, won their player of the year award, and put in great performances in high profile televised cup matches, including knocking out Leeds...?

Right-o

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

To think we have Maupay, Connelly and Murray and we are desperate for more attacking force.

They have Patrick Bamford and...errr... nope, that's it.

They'll need three new forwards to compete.

On the subject of Bielsa he just missed out on promotion the first year and then looks to have done it this year playing attacking, expansive football... so almost exactly the same as Hughton did for us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Evening Chaps. Here is the Ben white story from our side.

The facts as Ben White no doubt sees it: whilst on loan at Leeds, he has become a high profile Championship player (we are on TV enough), talked of as a Liverpool target. He has played every game, and played bloody well, and is obviously highly regarded by a world renowned coach. We could speculate that he has become attached to the club - being first choice and happy are powerful points; don't we all think strongly about our first love? He may well be in awe of Bielsa. Crumbs, our whole fan base are, and rightly so. He is no doubt pretty happy and enjoying his football and I'd expect not as many professionals get to experience that as often as we'd imagine.

What do we know? The club are surprisingly close knit, extremely well run and very few leaks get out now. Ben White is very close to a couple of the players: Roberts and Phillips. We are given the impression by those who write about the club that he would be open to a deal. Leeds have been looking at alternatives but have not written off signing White. Nowadays you know from agents if a player is interested prior to bidding and you discourage links if they aren't going to happen. As we know, player power is dominant now. If Ben White wants to leave, he will leave Brighton. Most of our mob thinks you won't be able to keep hold of him - I think you are safe from relegation so that is not an issue - but that we don't have a chance if Liverpool come sniffing. I'd ponder on whether he would play regularly for them? No of course he wouldn't. He can become an outstanding ball playing defender but . . . has no PL experience and isn't a strong defender or aerially dominant. The way Leeds play hasn't allowed him to be exposed to those weaknesses. It could be there is a rule that says new PL signings cannot be loaned, which means White would go from a regular to a squad player. He has no doubt jumped up a level and would be a 50K a week footballer on a new contract. There is a final small factor that very few outside of Leeds see to know. QSI - the owners of PSG - are going to invest in us following promotion. To what extent and how that works is open to debate. We've heard that they are not happy with how things went in France and want to do things differently BUT with KSA close to buying Newcastle and the UAE already at City, you can imagine how driven their motivations will be.

So Ben White. Lovely player. Been a joy to behold. Hardly put a foot wrong. Would love to have him here. Price? Hmm, could be corona affected but 20-25million (see Mings).

Regards

Thanks for taking the time to post........but....

-we don't need to sell, don't want to sell and White is EXACTLY the type of CB Potter wants
-agree re player power to an extent, but as others have indicated, it doesn't work that well for any contracted to us that we want to keep
-if he's as good as everyone seems to think, 20-25m wouldn't be anywhere near enough for us to even think about selling. Incidentally we paid that for Webster and he's taken almost a full season to adjust to the PL
-good luck with the incoming investment. Chucking tons of cash around isn't necessarily the answer though (Fulham, Villa etc)

See you next season - I don't think even Leeds can 'fook it up' (still remember the signing from Elland Road :D) this time.

HeadLiner

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
This is utter delusion.

You'll be relegation rivals, because with very few exceptions, that's the lot, of newly promoted sides. Sheffield United included, next season, I'd suspect. Quite why you'd immediately compare to Wolves, rather than Norwich or Villa, I'm not quite sure.

And Bielsa has your journeymen playing 'like top end PL players' because they are playing against Barnsley and Luton, FFS :rolleyes:
Once again, all things to debate. Arsenal were off form when we outplayed them in the Cup but it was an interesting pointer.

I think Norwich just clicked last season. Sheff Utd have an exceptional manager who really should be given an opportunity elsewhere but, like Dyche, won't be. Not that'd he'd take it necessarily as he is SUFC all over. They were a good team last season, have a very competitive style, and have done well to step up, sensationally well. Knew they would do well but not quite as good as they have but . . . maybe that says more about the PL standard i the bottom half. Wolves have been the outstanding team from the last few seasons to leave the Championship. They signed PL players and pissed the league. They were simply that good.

Villa were one of the worse promoted teams seen for a good while. They were a poor team and rarely played well. They got on a promotion winning run at the right time and momentum carried them. Their manager is inexperienced and their signings were dreadful. Couldn't see anything other than relegation for them tbh.

Leeds will do similarly to Sheff.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but by god Bielsa gets them to play like top end PL players. Then you have the QSI factor.

Hah, we have this year’s Jake Humphrey “bigging up my promoted team” award winner :smile:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004

that goes both ways, everyone seems to think white is the second coming of maldini (i don't) but he is playing against some proper shite forwards, i mean the championship is never great but this season i think is especially poor. vardy, aguero, ings etc., will run rings around white.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Villa! Villa!

That went well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here