Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Serious-ish thread - Mental Health

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
NSC can absolutely be the best of places or sometimes the worst of places but I know this is what this place does really well...

A former colleague of mine is posting some fairly 'troubled' stuff on LinkedIn - not like dangerous but big rambly posts, accusing government of all sorts, tagging in Mi5 / all kinds of news agencies to random things. I'm beginning to think he is unwell. I've known him for 10 years but not really had contact for 4-5 years ago, although he did call me up a few months ago out of the blue as he had lost his job and wanted some advice. I'm beginning to think that these things might be related. This is totally out of character for him and normally you'd think it was boring work type stuff he'd engage in.

All of this is completely out of form and he is still only mid-30s or so but it's bothering me a bit because it has been going on for a bit now and and it is out of character and if I'm honest does not look great for him. I can't seem to see that he has any family on there and while I am friends with him on facebook he has restricted a lot of stuff recently so again can't see any families or friends. Phoning 111 or a mental health service or something seems a bit drastic given I don't really know what is going on. I used to him know him fairly well, drink a few times a month etc so not how to suddenly message him and see if he's OK.

Mods move this if not the right place

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Give him a call, he rang you to speak about losing his job a couple of months back you said, so you could use that as a base for your phone call and ask if he’s had any luck in getting a new job. From the way they talk on the phone and you knowing their character you might be able to tell how he is in himself and help the guy out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if any of these might be of use:

The Sussex Mental Healthline (0300 5000 101) is available Monday to Friday 5pm to 9am, and 24 hours at weekends and Bank Holiday and they can provide mental health support and information.
The Samaritans (116123) are available 24/7 and offer a safe space for anyone who is having a difficult time. They also offer daily drop ins available between 10.30am – 10.30pm every day at The Haven, 13 Bolton Road, Eastbourne, BN21 3JT if you would prefer to talk to someone face to face.
No Panic (0844 967 4848) run a helpline everyday between 10am and 10pm every day of the year for support with managing anxiety.
The Mix (text THEMIX to 85258) offer a crisis messenger text service which is available 24/7 for all under 25s. They offer support with urgent issues such as suicidal thoughts, abuse or assault, self-harm, bullying or a relationship breakdown. They also have a helpline available daily to under 25’s between 4pm – 11pm which can be accessed on 0808 808 4994.
SANEline (0300 304 7000) are available from 4.30pm – 10.30pm. SANEline is a national mental health helpline to anyone affected by mental illness, including friends and carers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Give him a call, he rang you to speak about losing his job a couple of months back you said, so you could use that as a base for your phone call and ask if he’s had any luck in getting a new job. From the way they talk on the phone and you knowing their character you might be able to tell how he is in himself and help the guy out.

This first. Then this, if required...

I don't know if any of these might be of use:

The Sussex Mental Healthline (0300 5000 101) is available Monday to Friday 5pm to 9am, and 24 hours at weekends and Bank Holiday and they can provide mental health support and information.
The Samaritans (116123) are available 24/7 and offer a safe space for anyone who is having a difficult time. They also offer daily drop ins available between 10.30am – 10.30pm every day at The Haven, 13 Bolton Road, Eastbourne, BN21 3JT if you would prefer to talk to someone face to face.
No Panic (0844 967 4848) run a helpline everyday between 10am and 10pm every day of the year for support with managing anxiety.
The Mix (text THEMIX to 85258) offer a crisis messenger text service which is available 24/7 for all under 25s. They offer support with urgent issues such as suicidal thoughts, abuse or assault, self-harm, bullying or a relationship breakdown. They also have a helpline available daily to under 25’s between 4pm – 11pm which can be accessed on 0808 808 4994.
SANEline (0300 304 7000) are available from 4.30pm – 10.30pm. SANEline is a national mental health helpline to anyone affected by mental illness, including friends and carers.

Good luck [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION]

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Sounds as though it’s either shades of paranoid schizophrenia, or equally could just be someone a bit enmeshed in the online conspiracy world and otherwise a rational thinking person. I know people who fall into both categories.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Give him a bell [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] if you’re worried, doesn’t matter what the excuse is. If he does go and do something stupid the guilt is terrible, trust me.

Hopefully it’ll be nothing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unfortunately I did not save his number - he also is not local. But I'll drop him a message and suggest a catch up and play it that way. I'm just a bit concerned how out of the blue it looks to ask him how he is as a bit of a loaded question

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The best piece of advice you can probably give him is to ditch social media.It’s poisonous. I’ve got friends who are on it 24/7 ranting, and always find a way to turn any story into conspiracy, anti establishment, the tories the tories the tories and oh, the tories fault etc. They must be exhausted. I’ve just switched them off now. People change too, through out their lives for natural and perfectly understandable reasons. So don’t be too hasty to label the reason as mental health. He might just not be a very pleasant person these days. World is full of ‘em and friendships fade all the time because of. Those people frankly are worth cutting out of your life. Toxic relationships add stress, instead surround yourself with people who give as well as take. Best of British regardless because you sound extremely caring and if your mate is just going through a difficult time then ain’t he lucky to have someone like you looking out for him.:kiss:

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
The best piece of advice you can probably give him is to ditch social media.It’s poisonous. I’ve got friends who are on it 24/7 ranting, and always find a way to turn any story into conspiracy, anti establishment, the tories the tories the tories and oh, the tories fault etc. They must be exhausted. I’ve just switched them off now. People change too, through out their lives for natural and perfectly understandable reasons. So don’t be too hasty to label the reason as mental health. He might just not be a very pleasant person these days. World is full of ‘em and friendships fade all the time because of. Those people frankly are worth cutting out of your life. Toxic relationships add stress, instead surround yourself with people who give as well as take. Best of British regardless because you sound extremely caring and if your mate is just going through a difficult time then ain’t he lucky to have someone like you looking out for him.:kiss:

Partisan funnel. I removed myself from FB and IG a couple of years ago as a mini stand against Zuckerberg (yes I still have WhatsApp) and have loved it. You’re either spending your energy working out glib responses to political posts or finding your life is less than adequate. I’m still on Twitter following that monster over the pond but don’t really post.

Everyone’s energy is much better focussed upon themselves, their families, what makes them happy. I will ditch Twitter shortly and start using proper press who deserve to make a living to present stories. I’ll start painting something other than rooms in my house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here