Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Othellos - Hove Closed down for good .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I loved the place. I used to go there every weekend for years. I had my first breakfast as a married man there. It was always the Pile-up for me though; there was something about his fried breakfasts which no one has ever been able to replicate.

When I heard it was closing I bizarrely immediately picked up the phone and called them to see if it was true, I got straight through to “Harry”. It was true.

Where is best place for breakfast now ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’ve heard that Harry is Doug. Owned the excellent Coffee Station in Boundary Road until last year. A mod on the Buzz on Boundary forum.

That was a brilliant little unpretentious café in Portslade. Great coffee and beautiful homemade cakes from his wife. Sadly, I believe it had to shut because his wife was ill :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Where is best place for breakfast now ?

If it's a fry up you want - none of this posh salmon and scrambled eggs - then Wheelies in Victoria Road, Portslade

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Smoked salmon and acrambled eggs was a stunning Harry’s start to the day :)

My friend was so pissed in HARRY's that he went to sleep - a sudden crash out - face down in his spotted dick and custard pudding - where it stayed . We walked him out covered in custard - classic moment

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
They are ( or were as it is now ). They even shared chefs. I suspect Orsino's will go the same way as well. They lost a lot of custom when they were awarded 1 star by the council for hygiene ( although I admit they spent some money improving to get a 5 star ). Also their customer service is shocking. Mrs WS and I tend to stockpile Groupons from restaurants to use on those evenings we can't be bothered to cook - just cheapo meals. We got one for Orsino's and the food was actually OK - service was average. Liked it enough to buy my parents a Groupon as they like to pop out to Italian restaurants every now and then. We went back and paid full price shortly after and the service was diabolical. My parents then tried to book their Groupon ( which was still in date ) and the manager refused it saying they had decided Groupon wasn't for them so they wouldn't honour it. I phoned a few days later to complain and was told, yes, we had a disagreement with Groupon so won't honour any vouchers already purchased. He went on to say that if I waited three months they would be back on Groupon so I could buy a replacement. Needless to say I didn't and have never been back since ( Groupon refunded the money though ). So I wouldn't be upset to see Orsino's follow Otello's. Well past their sell by date when you have decent Italians such as La Tana in Patcham and Cin Cin.

Yes but who wants to drive to patcham when you live in Hove , it’s not like it’s scenic or anything .

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yes but who wants to drive to patcham when you live in Hove , it’s not like it’s scenic or anything .

La Tana might be a mile extra than Otello but it's still quicker to drive to, free to park and actually has decent food.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
According to a route planner that restaurant in patcham is actually over 3 miles away from Ortellos and would take on average another 15 mins to drive there . Patcham is quite a long way out for anyone who lives in central Hove

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved the place. I used to go there every weekend for years. I had my first breakfast as a married man there. It was always the Pile-up for me though; there was something about his fried breakfasts which no one has ever been able to replicate.

When I heard it was closing I bizarrely immediately picked up the phone and called them to see if it was true, I got straight through to “Harry”. It was true.

Their waiter/bar man (youngish guy with stubble back then) has for years owned and ran a successful deli a quarter a mile away from me now in Westdene. A family man now with kids.

Muzza sometimes visits it .... pics on Instagram.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
According to a route planner that restaurant in patcham is actually over 3 miles away from Ortellos and would take on average another 15 mins to drive there . Patcham is quite a long way out for anyone who lives in central Hove

Err ..... I don't live at Ortellos ! :facepalm:

matey

Mar 16, 2014
I walk pass there most days and seen builders and the usual staff sitting outside. Must admit I enjoyed the place when it had the shop and the cafe was separate to the restaurant. Went downhill when they stopped the breakfast and since the latest alteration.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
They do a lovely breakfast at the restaurant next to Richards in church road , can’t remember it’s name , used to be a trendy Indian , changed about a year ago . The Ivy also do nice breakfasts .

matey

Mar 16, 2014
Ground & Lower Ground Floor Restaurant To Let: £40,000 pa
LEASE
A new lease for a term to be negotiated at a commencing rental of £40,000 per annum, exclusive.

RENT REVIEW
By negotiation.

REPAIRING LIABILITY
Full Repairing & Insuring.

PREMIUM
Offers invited in the region of £30,000 (thirty thousand pounds) for the benefit of the current restaurant (A3) licence, lease and all fixtures and fittings on the premises - full inventory to be supplied.

KEY FEATURES
Prominent Restaurant/Cafe
Superbly Fitted Throughout
Large Corner Window Frontage
New Lease Available
Due to downsizing, part of the former Otello restaurant is now available to be leased with a high quality content of fixtures and fittings, ideal for another restaurant cafe operator benefitting from an A3 (restaurant) licence.

PROPERTY DETAILS
Ground & Lower Ground Floor Restaurant 1171 sq ft (108.79 m2)
ACCOMMODATION
Well presented accommodation arranged as follows;

Gross Window Frontage to Church Road 18' 6"

Return Frontage to Medina Villas 41'

Internal Width 18' 4"

Total Depth 40' 8"

Total Ground Floor Area 678 sq ft (63m2)

Modern aluminium shopfront which opens out to the side frontage with the possibility of outside seating. Internally fitted to a high standard including solid wood flooring, spotlighting and free standing tables and chairs offering approximately 50 covers.

Rear Disabled WC.

Marble staircase leading down to;

Lower Ground Floor Restaurant 27' 2" x 16' 7" - 450 sq ft (42m2)

Recently refurbished to an extremely high standard with some fixed and other free standing tables and chairs offering 30-35 covers. Air conditioning system, porcelain tiled flooring, good floor to ceiling height, spotlighting and fitted bar servery counter with glass fronted display fridges.

Small Store - 43 sq ft.

Separate wc.

N.B
There is currently no specified kitchen area or extraction system which would need to be installed by the new tenant should they want to operate a full restaurant kitchen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here