Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the tactics naive or were two individual errors to blame?

Were our tactics wrong or did individual errors cost us?

• Tactics were naive

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Individual errors

Votes: 169 82.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We nearly scored inside the first minute.

Sorry if that upsets the doom-mongers narrative.

Pointing out individual mistakes is hardly doom mongering.

We’re all fans and want the best for our team. It doesn’t mean we have to be cheerleaders 24/7. I don’t know if you’ve gone to games, but I hear far far worse criticisms of players during a match.

We played some brilliant stuff last night, and
Potter is doing a superb job.. it doesn’t detract from that to observe Davy made a mistake for the goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pointing out individual mistakes is hardly doom mongering.

We’re all fans and want the best for our team. It doesn’t mean we have to be cheerleaders 24/7. I don’t know if you’ve gone to games, but I hear far far worse criticisms of players during a match.

We played some brilliant stuff last night, and
Potter is doing a superb job.. it doesn’t detract from that to observe Davy made a mistake for the goal.

So that makes it alright!

Where was your joy from that game?

Within 10 minutes you're asking who needs to go.

You're turning on me for being a 'cheerleader' - f**k off.

If you're not a cheerleader after that game, while the players are still on the pitch why, just why, are you bothering?

We've all sat there watching shite football.
Listening to morons attacking Bong, probably preparing the same for Lamptey.

As usual for a few, the desperate need to criticize seems to far outweigh the desire to celebrate.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So that makes it alright!

Where was your joy from that game?

Within 10 minutes you're asking who needs to go.

You're turning on me for being a 'cheerleader' - f**k off.

If you're not a cheerleader after that game, while the players are still on the pitch why, just why, are you bothering?

We've all sat there watching shite football.
Listening to morons attacking Bong, probably preparing the same for Lamptey.

As usual for a few, the desperate need to criticize seems to far outweigh the desire to celebrate.

Calm down.

Again. We played brilliantly last night. I’m loving what Potter is doing, I have complete faith in him as a manager and where our club is going.

People pointing out that Davy cocked up for a goal hardly makes them “doom mongers”.

If you can’t handle people with different opinions this may not be the place for you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Calm down.

Again. We played brilliantly last night. I’m loving what Potter is doing, I have complete faith in him as a manager and where our club is going.

People pointing out that Davy cocked up for a goal hardly makes them “doom mongers”.

If you can’t handle people with different opinions this may not be the place for you.
You were sat watching that game crafting a mean spirited post.

I was sat watching thinking, 'bloody hell we're good and going to get better'.
While replying to text saying 'what a great game'.

There's different opinions and then there's different agendas.
I can't be doing with posters spewing out their agendas irrespective of what they've just seen.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I agree there needs to be a both option. Also I quarrel with the "individual" bit especially for 1st goal because while Davy obviously made an error Matty should not have played the ball to him with such a high press against him. If we are playing out against such a skilled press it should go wide to FBs.

Having said that it was a great game and I enjoyed at least 80 mins of it with 2 teams playing attractive football. If you go to Liverpool fans forum you will see how complimentary they are about us and especially Lampety.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Individual errors. But it’s the way we now play and I’m fine with it. I walked away from that game having been thoroughly entertained (and had 3 pints of helles, two bags of salt and vinegar crisps and pub fish and chips)...all good.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Not over impressed with Souness's pundetry. It was quite obvious to everyone except him that the only reason their young left back was subbed was the yellow card, but he was going on about 'not understanding it at all'. The commentator put him right. Also its very easy for him to scream 'naive tactics' when we've made two howlers, but had they not happened, it wouldn't have even been mentioned.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Yesterday was an ideal chance to pit our wits against one of the very best teams in the world, and we did so to the max. No-one would have learnt a thing if we’d been timid and defensive. We were never likely to win but I bet the manager and players will have gained a huge amount from the experience. I really think some, actually most, of our play last night was fantastic. We’ve got another opportunity to do the same on Saturday, and I really hope the boys give it their all again. Who dares wins. Maybe. Eventually.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Individual errors

We have a way of playing that Potter has the players subscribed to and he is trying to build belief in the team to stick by and develop that. The players will take a huge positive that they went toe to toe with the champions rather than shrinking into two blocks of five behind the ball for 90min.

If we had started in any other way it would set the tone for the game and we would then struggle to get going. Personally I like the fact we aimed to start the game on the front foot even if a couple of individual mistakes ultimately cost us.

Fortune favours the brave and all that

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It was a combination of both. Souness's point was that no team, not even Man City, try to play out from the back against Liverpool's high press in the first ten minutes when Firmino, Salah and company are fresh and out for blood. And we are not Man City.

If you're going to play out from your own 6-yard box at that stage against top opposition who press high, you'd better have a perfect first touch, and while Propper's is good, he's prone to carelessness. Webster always has that sort of mistake in him. And your best bet is to go wide, not through a congested middle.

I'd go the other way tbh. Webster is much improved generally. Propper is the issue. I don't rate him. Not a bad player, but not very good either. I hope we buy another quality CM to partner Biss. Stephens is past his prime and lightweight Propper just isn't good enough.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Both! It's the way we play now, but teams like Liverpool are always going to find us out if the quality of our play isn't good enough. No excuse for Propper. Webster and Stephens not doing basic things correctly. Any sloppy passes will be punished.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yesterday was an ideal chance to pit our wits against one of the very best teams in the world, and we did so to the max. No-one would have learnt a thing if we’d been timid and defensive. We were never likely to win but I bet the manager and players will have gained a huge amount from the experience. I really think some, actually most, of our play last night was fantastic. We’ve got another opportunity to do the same on Saturday, and I really hope the boys give it their all again. Who dares wins. Maybe. Eventually.

This! This! THIS!!!!

The players know that they can play positive football against the current English/European/World Champions and compete.

Souness was angry about our naivety, mainly because it took away from the "fantastic football" we were playing.

Potter will focus on the fact that if we can improve on basic errors, we are able to play fantastic football against the best teams in the land.
Not too shabby.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought our style of play was superb, but predictable, and Klopp knew that, that is why they came at us like a train from the word go.
We need to add a variation, and that starts with Matty Ryan, he is the eyes of the defence. If Liverpool are closing you down really fast so that your
pass to Propper, for example, is not spot on or over hit, he has to warn Propper cos he is facing Ryan and cant see how close they are to robbing him.
I feel sorry for Davy cos he is always put in that position, centre of the goal and always receives the ball facing his own goal.
Passing to him is puuting him in trouble. Ryan needs to improve his dead ball kicking, and decide, we are in cr*p if I pass to Davy, i'll play it over the top
of their press where our quicker players have a chance of keeping possession.
We do not have to start from the back every goal kick, that is as predictable as Chris Hughtons team selection every match last season. Mix it up, that will also give
the opposition something to think about.
That said, we were superb going forward last night, i'm on the Potterball train 100%, jusy vary the defensive element occasionally please.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I haven’t read the thread so my point may have already been made. I don’t think you can separate the two options in the poll. Playing out from the back worked for most of the game bar the first ten minutes. The quality of the opposition also cannot be ignored. Potter is known for tactical flexibility so perhaps there will be a slight tweak for the early part of games against top 6 sides all the while we are at a level where there is a mistake or two in us when pressed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nothing wrong with the tactics. Just poor decisions/execution from Maty and Webster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here