Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the tactics naive or were two individual errors to blame?

Were our tactics wrong or did individual errors cost us?

• Tactics were naive

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Individual errors

Votes: 169 82.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
After last night, Souness went on a big old rant about how naive our tactics were in those first 10 minutes. Although to be fair he was fairly complimentary about our football in general he felt we should have "gone long" early on.

So did Potter get the tactics wrong or can you not legislate for Propper failing to control the ball or Webster madly deciding to dribble through the entire Liverpool midfield?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We were tactically great and can only get better.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No I don’t think it’s naive, it’s the way Potter wants to play and I’m fully behind him on that.

The problem as I see it, is some of our players aren’t good enough to play this way. I’m sure GP is aware and will be making incremental improvements to the team as we go.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Both.

Another example of us impressing against a good side when the game is lost. Just like last week.

Get the setup right early, cut out the crap and we could be very good.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I said it in the main thread but we support Brighton, our players make more mistakes and bad decisions than the top teams, that’s why they play for us and not Liverpool. Any goal we concede you can blame on individual mistakes and any mistakes made are magnified by top teams who are clinical.

Going ‘long’ with Trossard, Maupay and Mac as the front 3 would have been daft, Souness is a dinosaur.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Webster gave propper a dirty 'what were you doing you idiot' look after the first goal, only to go marauding into midfield and delivering a shit pass straight to the opposition minutes later. Trying to prove some kind of point? Individual errors for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not in that first 10 minutes we weren't !
We nearly scored inside the first minute.

Sorry if that upsets the doom-mongers narrative.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Pleasantly surprised by the results of this poll so far. No doubt the "GET IT FORWARD" merchants will arrive soon.

el punal

Two individual and unnecessary errors against one of the top two teams (the other being Man City) who will punish you mercilessly. That might not have happened against “lesser” sides. Having said that the team are improving all the time and put in a fine performance last night.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I would say three individual errors.

Propper and Webster being totally unaware of the opposition players around them. You know Liverpool are going to press you high and hard if you start faffing about playing tappy on the edge of the box. Propper has form for this kind of thing but he has never really been a natural defender so possibly tactics creep into his error a bit. Webster seems to have lapses of concentration but worked very hard for the remainder of the game.

I share responsibility for the third between Lamptey and Ryan. Sallah ran away from Lamptey far too easily but if Ryan isn't going to have anybody on the near post - or marking the near post space - then the near post has to be Ryan's responsibility.

We were maybe a bit unlucky to concede three goals from three errors but then we got away with one when Stephens sloppily gave the ball away.

At least we showed some balls after going 2-0 down and we matched if not bettered the champions of the world for much of the game.

Highlight for me was seeing their much vaunted and over-hyped left back, that the commentators & pundits couldn't shut up about, being schooled by our young right back to the extent that Klopp had to take him off at half time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We nearly scored inside the first minute.

Sorry if that upsets the doom-mongers narrative.

This.

Loved watching us yesterday. Two dimbot errors against the best team in the world denied us a well deserved point. :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Webster gave propper a dirty 'what were you doing you idiot' look after the first goal, only to go marauding into midfield and delivering a shit pass straight to the opposition minutes later. Trying to prove some kind of point? Individual errors for me.

Definitely saw Dunk mouthing "...****s sake Davy.."

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Overall we were tactically superb yesterday.

Yes, I just said that.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Thoroughly enjoyed lasts nights performance & definitely down to 2 individual errors.

We played some great stuff against a team of multi million internationals & on another day could of got a result.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would say three individual errors.

Propper and Webster being totally unaware of the opposition players around them. You know Liverpool are going to press you high and hard if you start faffing about playing tappy on the edge of the box. Propper has form for this kind of thing but he has never really been a natural defender so possibly tactics creep into his error a bit. Webster seems to have lapses of concentration but worked very hard for the remainder of the game.

I share responsibility for the third between Lamptey and Ryan. Sallah ran away from Lamptey far too easily but if Ryan isn't going to have anybody on the near post - or marking the near post space - then the near post has to be Ryan's responsibility.

We were maybe a bit unlucky to concede three goals from three errors but then we got away with one when Stephens sloppily gave the ball away.

At least we showed some balls after going 2-0 down and we matched if not bettered the champions of the world for much of the game.

Highlight for me was seeing their much vaunted and over-hyped left back, that the commentators & pundits couldn't shut up about, being schooled by our young right back to the extent that Klopp had to take him off at half time.

Indeed.

For a full back, Lampty doesn't get particuarly close to the opposition before they launch themselves down the left. He has the speed to chase, but....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thoroughly enjoyed lasts nights performance & definitely down to 2 individual errors.

We played some great stuff against a team of multi million internationals & on another day could of got a result.

Have. It's have.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Souness wasn't against the playing through the press tactically. He was suggesting to mix it up a bit early on and once the pace of the game is more settled then look to play through the press a bit more. I think that's just smart game management and as Potter candidly said in the interview, we made some poor decisions and will learn our lessons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here