Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the tactics naive or were two individual errors to blame?

Were our tactics wrong or did individual errors cost us?

• Tactics were naive

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Individual errors

Votes: 169 82.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Potter has his say on this and I like his subtle little dig at Souness in the article. Looks like we are going ti play exactly the same way against City, hopefully without the early mistakes. Good, I am looking forward to it.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18573399.graham-potters-reply-graeme-souness-naive-comment/
Despite what GP says, I have the feeling he just might mix it up a bit more against City. Guardiola will have them salivating at the early press after all.

Against Leicester, he DID mix it up, kicking to Dan Burn on the wing quite often, especially after Duffy came on. Vardy didn't get a sniff.

What was especially frustrating about the first goal was that Propper made TWO mistakes, the mis-control and then failing to toe-poke the ball properly to keep possession when he could have cleared to touch.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
So Bissouma breaks Henderson....with his head.

Hard as nails!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Liverpool are the best team in Europe at the forward press and have been for a couple of seasons, so to lose the ball twice in the opening 7 minutes dangerous areas is poor. I totally agree with Souness - don't take the risk of fannying around with the ball like that against Liverpool.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Naivety you say Graham, what like signing George Weah’s cousin on the strength of an unverified telephone call? Woooooosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Liverpool are the best team in Europe at the forward press and have been for a couple of seasons, so to lose the ball twice in the opening 7 minutes dangerous areas is poor. I totally agree with Souness - don't take the risk of fannying around with the ball like that against Liverpool.

This.

We were asking for trouble, play a different style (pass to wingbacks if available or go long) for the first 20 mins when they are full of running then revert back to type when the match has settled down. If we play the same way against Citeh then expect the same outcome.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Souness wasn't against the playing through the press tactically. He was suggesting to mix it up a bit early on and once the pace of the game is more settled then look to play through the press a bit more. I think that's just smart game management and as Potter candidly said in the interview, we made some poor decisions and will learn our lessons.

And as many others such as G.Neville and Danny Mills have said in the last year or two when (not an anti Albion thing ... when talking about PL and international matches). Their point, mix it up. When penned in, don’t be predictable by refusing to clear, it will only encourage opponents who’ll 100% know what you’re going to do next.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Seems I'm in the minority, but I think in these games you have to show the opposition a bit of respect. Not too much, but not so little that you refuse to do anything other than try and play out of tight spaces at the back, especially at the beginning of a game. They were silly mistakes, yes, but would they have been made against lesser opposition? I'm not sure. You don't panic as much against lesser oppo, which imo both goals were down to. You panic more and make nervy mistakes when you know the standard of the opposition is so good, especially in those situations.

For the record, I loved our response, and really enjoyed the game from 10 mins onwards - bodes very well for next season - but if we're honest, the game was lost after 10 mins because of the above. Close, but never going to be cigar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here