Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We're 3 players from being a top 10 side

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If we have ambition of becoming a top 10 side then what we need to consider is how are these teams we are likely to be competing against better equipped regarding their squads. Who would improve our team from Wolves, Sheffield United, Burnley, Everton, Southampton, Newcastle & Palace.
None have a better goal keeper
I wouldn't swap centre backs with any of them
Digne is the only fullback I think would improve us
Neves, Sigurdson & Ward-Prowse are useful central midfielders
Traore, McNeil, Redmond & Zaha would bring some ability to wide midfield positions
Jimenez, Richarlison, & Ings could score a few.

Based on this I would suggest we need a new CM, RM & ST. Ultimately we are not very far away from being able to compete and a few additions and we won't be far off

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I look at the Sheffield Utd line-up (currently 7th) and perhaps with the exception of Berge, can't see any obvious upgrades on what we already have

I cant believe they are where they are with that strike force of 3. Sharp / McGoldrick and the big ginger lad - none of them would get near our team.

More than 3 for me, double that at least. Goalkeeper is in play, so is left-back. CB partner for Dunk not nailed down but maybe current resources will do that. Another strong centre mid needed. At least one more pacey winger given Knocky is gone and Izzy such a gamble. Two more strikers to make up for the 2 we offloaded.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If we have ambition of becoming a top 10 side then what we need to consider is how are these teams we are likely to be competing against better equipped regarding their squads. Who would improve our team from Wolves, Sheffield United, Burnley, Everton, Southampton, Newcastle & Palace.
I wouldn't swap centre backs with any of them
Digne is the only fullback I think would improve us
Neves, Sigurdson & Ward-Prowse are useful central midfielders
Traore, McNeil, Redmond & Zaha would bring some ability to wide midfield positions
Jimenez, Richarlison, & Ings could score a few.

Based on this I would suggest we need a new CM, RM & ST. Ultimately we are not very far away from being able to compete and a few additions and we won't be far off

Jonny from Wolves is a decent LB and I'd have Moutinho from Wolves too. I'd probably take one of the Longstaffs from Newcastle as well and definitely Saint-Maximin.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Whilst Burn has been ok at RB we 100% need better if we are going to become "Top 10". Also to be top 10 you need more quality across the squad. RB, 2 Strikers, another CM, and another winger. Hopefully some of the kids can give us the CM (Molumby or Baluta). Maybe Gykores can be one of the strikers. If Trossard gets injured we are knackered for width and dont see anyone in the squad who can cover.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I thought Biss made a lot of mistakes last night and looked a liability in my eyes.

Hopefully it was just not a good night for him. Stephens however barely even hit my radar, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bissouma is a £30m+ player in the making.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I cant believe they are where they are with that strike force of 3. Sharp / McGoldrick and the big ginger lad - none of them would get near our team.

Squeaking narrow (1-0 mostly) victories - for every game we've felt 'unlucky', they are 'lucky'. Small margins. We've actually scored more goals than them but their defence is exceptionally good for a newly promoted club (only Liverpool and Leicester have conceded less)

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Any player Potter does want to sign will know they will play regularly

He has signed Webster, Mooy, Trossard, Maupay and played them all regularly - as now also looks the case with Lamptey and Macallister

Plus young players know if they are good enough in training they will get a chance

All of Ali J, Locadia, Andone, Montoya, Benardo and Izzy to some extent will I suspect have expected to play more regularly more quickly being as all signed for decent fees with exception of Montayo who I think may have been with no fee, can't remember

Anyways any player that gets a call saying "Brighton are interested, thoughts?" will now be saying "yes please" very quickly

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
A goalkeeper must command his area and is able to get out and catch the ball. A goalkeeper who stays on his line is ALWAYS a liability. It's true that Maty makes up for it in being a great shotstopper, ball player and he's excellent at positioning but it's a bit like having a one eyed player. He's great for where we are but if we want to improve....

LB is a must.... another Lamptey. Burn has done good job but if we want to improve.. Burn is a CB.

Midfield... yes.... maybe even two.

Strikers absolutely!

So 4 is a minimum.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It's not just the 'A' team, it's the squad that needs to be top 10 quality for it to be sustained. A few more seasons of lower half table nervousness ahead until we tip the balance.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just read that Southampton have scored 25 goals from outside the box in the last 2 seasons. How many have we got in that time? 5?

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
I'd argue that we're only one player from being a top 10 side, and that player is a goalscorer. And those strikers do come along - Vardy, Ings, Callum Wilson, Arnautovic, Josh King, Llorente, Ighalo, Deeney, Bony have all been bought for a modest fee yet gone on to be prolific in recent times.

No they haven't. To me 'prolific' would be a goal every other game and 'recent times' the last 4 seasons I can't imagine any of that lot (with the exception of Vardy) has achieved that in the PL.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

Erm Wolves, Shef Utd, Burnley and Everton are all have better keepers than Ryan.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Current goal scorers in the 15+ per season club.

1 Jamie Vardy Leicester City 22
2 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Arsenal 20
3 Mohamed Salah Liverpool 19
4 Danny Ings Southampton 18
=5 Sergio Aguero Manchester City 16
=5 Sadio Mane Liverpool 16
=7 Raul Jimenez Wolves 15
=7 Marcus Rashford Manchester United 15
=7 Anthony Martial Manchester United 15
=10 Tammy Abraham Chelsea 14
=10 Raheem Sterling Manchester City 14
=12 Dominic Calvert-Lewin Everton 13
=12 Harry Kane Tottenham 13

Shows how it’s not an unrealistic expectation for a side like us then right? (Wolves / Southampton / Leicester showing it’s possible.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just read that Southampton have scored 25 goals from outside the box in the last 2 seasons. How many have we got in that time? 5?

Hmmm, Maupay got one v Wolves, Knocky v Palace ... then there's errrr.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We all know the need to balance the books, we need to sell to buy quality. Knocky has already gone releasing £10 million, I can see March, Duffy, Jahanbakhsh, Schelotto and sadly Ben White leaving. I can also see Murray going out on loan.
That releases funds for purchases and salary, if White and Duffy go we would need another centre half, plus we obviously need a goal scorer. Bissouma needs to start and we have cover with Alzate and Stephens plus the returning Molumby.
Second guessing is difficult but the summer window could see lots of change for us.
Top ten, I'm not sure myself.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I think Connolly needs a full season out on loan at a championship club to get more experience . I’d like to see us bring in Ivan Toney from Peterborough, as we could do with some height up front.

Burn has been brilliant at left back and is our out ball from goal kicks when we do go long. I do prefer us playing 3 at the back though allowing him to run through the midfield .

Cm wise , we need to replace Stephens and probably Pröpper too (or play him further forward) . Molumby and Alzate look good prospects but don’t think either us ready to play week in week out at this level .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Need an upgrade on the goalie and replacements for Stephens snd Propper.
I would get Walton back to keep pressure on who has the no. 1 shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here