Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We out XG-ed Liverpool

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know there is some cynicism regarding xG, but I quite like it as a guide to what a side created.

Anyway, I was eager to see the numbers from tonight as I felt we may have created more than Liverpool. Seems we did...

[tweet]1280973659033800704[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yup. Lots of great opportunities. Most of the players arent exactly calm and collected in the opposing penalty area though, and Liverpool being the opponent probably didnt help.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Whenever I see "expected goals" without my brain engaged, I have to rapidly remind myself that it doesn't refer to how optimistic a club's fans are.

Then I remember that it just trolls various teams for not having goalscorers. No good will come of it

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
This just confirms for me that we were right to get rid of Chris Hughton. I can't thank him enough for what he did for our club but there is no way we would have had those stats with him in charge.

I'm now fully expecting someone to prove me wrong on the stat front, but you won't change my mind about replacing him

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I know there is some cynicism regarding xG, but I quite like it as a guide to what a side created.

Anyway, I was eager to see the numbers from tonight as I felt we may have created more than Liverpool. Seems we did...

[tweet]1280973659033800704[/tweet]

Thanks for posting that. It is the valid quantification of what we all knew watching the game i.e. “Albion are playing really well”. And, unlike some other of our plucky, possession based, toe-holds when losing, this was fast and incisive with end product of big chances. And all this against the World, European and English Champions who don’t let you play - and with a young Albion side.

I hope we can back this performance up in our remaining games this season. We’ll be gagging to be at The Amex and get behind them / slag them off when they don’t win...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You need a bit of luck in games like that, for their 2nd it’s not even an intentional lay off for Henderson, it’s a toe poke tackle from Burn straight into his path. We had so many moments we just needed a slightly favourable rebound, deflection etc. Encouraging tonight though, could have easily wilted after 2 quick goals, however as well as a bit of luck, we need some belief in front of goal.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If giving the ball to league champions on the edge of your area with no one marking Mo Salah doesn't equal 1xg I value it even less

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You need a bit of luck in games like that, for their 2nd it’s not even an intentional lay off for Henderson, it’s a toe poke tackle from Burn straight into his path. We had so many moments we just needed a slightly favourable rebound, deflection etc. Encouraging tonight though, could have easily wilted after 2 quick goals, however as well as a bit of luck, we need some belief in front of goal.

Spot on. Could have created even more great chances if a few rebounds/deflections had gone our way. Overall very encouraging and very enjoyable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It saddens me to ask but:-

Just how many goals and not goals has BDB been responsible for?

There are 2 VAR decisions (I think that might even be 3) against himself and team mates.
At least 1 VAR in favour of the opposition.
While a few clear cut chances have gone begging too.

I thought he looked good last night, considerably better than much of this calendar year.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It saddens me to ask but:-

Just how many goals and not goals has BDB been responsible for?

There are 2 VAR decisions (I think that might even be 3) against himself and team mates.
At least 1 VAR in favour of the opposition.
While a few clear cut chances have gone begging too.

I thought he looked good last night, considerably better than much of this calendar year.

Isn't it about time that the Burn experiment at LB was quietly put to bed. He is a CB not a LB. He is regularly left for dead, down the flanks, like a giraffe on a frozen lake. Bringing in Bernardo to join Lamptey would create pace and dynamism down both flanks. Convinced he could do a better job at CB than Webster ( so could Duffy ) but GP clearly thinks we have the new Franz Beckenbauer in our squad, as demonstrated by the consummate way he carried the ball out of defence, in the 8th minute last night.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The first season we came up Liverpool gave us a thumping. We didn't play that badly, but were hopelessly overmatched. Coutinho put in one of the best performances by an away player at the Amex and the gulf seemed enormous. Okay Liverpool have the title and were taking it a little easy, but we created enough to suggest at some point those half chances will hit the back of the net and little old Brighton WILL surprise Liverpool.

Expert summarisers in the stadium and the studio, were 75% talking about Liverpool, 15% Chelsea (did you know Tariq Lamptey used to play for them? apparently he did) and 10% Brighton. My favourite point was when the Rookie full back got subbed at half time and I think it was Souness who said something like, I don't think he has put a foot wrong out there. Aside from getting skinned four times by Lamptey and booked, no it was an excellent debute by the promising teenage full back, I only wish we had one of those of our own.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Isn't it about time that the Burn experiment at LB was quietly put to bed. He is a CB not a LB. He is regularly left for dead, down the flanks, like a giraffe on a frozen lake. Bringing in Bernardo to join Lamptey would create pace and dynamism down both flanks. Convinced he could do a better job at CB than Webster ( so could Duffy ) but GP clearly thinks we have the new Franz Beckenbauer in our squad, as demonstrated by the consummate way he carried the ball out of defence, in the 8th minute last night.

Unsure why but GP clearly doesn't rate Bernardo. Taking that into account and your points on Burn, i'd hope a left back is near the top of our shopping list.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This just confirms for me that we were right to get rid of Chris Hughton. I can't thank him enough for what he did for our club but there is no way we would have had those stats with him in charge.

I'm now fully expecting someone to prove me wrong on the stat front, but you won't change my mind about replacing him

100% agree

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My favourite point was when the Rookie full back got subbed at half time and I think it was Souness who said something like, I don't think he has put a foot wrong out there. Aside from getting skinned four times by Lamptey and booked, no it was an excellent debute by the promising teenage full back, I only wish we had one of those of our own.
Yes. [emoji23][emoji23]

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My favourite point was when the Rookie full back got subbed at half time and I think it was Souness who said something like, I don't think he has put a foot wrong out there. Aside from getting skinned four times by Lamptey and booked, no it was an excellent debute by the promising teenage full back, I only wish we had one of those of our own.

I was glad to see Williams pick up a yellow, after his third bookable offence on Lamptey.
Very disappointed he was subbed at half time.
Couldn't believe the "must have taken a knock" comment. No, he's just been massively outclassed and will get sent off, if he carries on, you numpty!.

Shame Souness isn't the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here