Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Set pieces

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Anyone else find it really frustrating when we try and do something clever from set pieces and it comes to nothing. There were a few occasions tonight, one corner when we played it short and the players weren’t on the same wave length and it went out for a goal kick.

Then just before half time, an opportunity to load the box and get it in there and a short free kick was taken which ended in nothing again.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
What worries me more is how unconvincing Ryan looks when corners or indirect free kicks are lofted into his box.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone else find it really frustrating when we try and do something clever from set pieces and it comes to nothing. There were a few occasions tonight, one corner when we played it short and the players weren’t on the same wave length and it went out for a goal kick.

Then just before half time, an opportunity to load the box and get it in there and a short free kick was taken which ended in nothing again.

Wasn't that they weren't on the same wavelength, just that as soon as we played the ball in a planned practiced move, Liverpool shot out quicker to the edge of their box than you could imagine or practice for, leaving our man to receive the ball having to come back to stay onside. It looked ridiculous because I doubt you'd practice for such a quick collective press as Liverpool made.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
My frustration is with how few headers on target are created from corners, we have four 6ft+ players and have had what seems to me to have been a huge number of corners since restarting but so few actual headers won

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its one of the main things you lose when Duffy is not in the side.

I don't think we are any worse than most sides though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No, I quite like seeing us try different corners, all part of the team's development, IMO.

Last season we had a lot of joy with Duffy at the far post, but midway through the season most teams had cottoned on, but we carried on with it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
No, I quite like seeing us try different corners, all part of the team's development, IMO.

Last season we had a lot of joy with Duffy at the far post, but midway through the season most teams had cottoned on, but we carried on with it.

I’m not sure why we are persisting with the current all line up together corners as it hasn’t come close to working.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I find attempts to do something different that fail no better or worse than attempts to do the same old thing (put it in the box, shoot, go for the far post, go for the near post, play it short to change the angle, etc) and fail.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I can't remember whether it was the UK or the US commentators (I was switching due to dodgy streams) but they actually complimented us once or twice for being inventive at set pieces.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We were rubbish at corners the old way, we're rubbish at corners the new way... I'd rather try something new with the hope of improvement than repeat the same failing routines.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think football fans and realistic expectations about how often you can score/create chances from corners are one of the most notoriously poor combinations in football.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think Brentford employ a coach purely to create new approaches to dead ball situations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here