Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Liverpool (h)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Great game. Encouraging positive performance, especially after going two down within ten minutes.

Ryan 6.5
Lamptey 7
Webster 8 -- one mistake but, beyond that, played really well
Dunk 7
Burn 6 -- second game in a row where he has a chance in the six yard box, and doesn't connect properly
Stephens 6
Propper 5 -- two rotten touches that hardly set us off well, technically gifted experienced international should be doing better
Mac Allister 6
Trossard 8 MotM -- 9 for first half performance which contained some memorable passages of play, faded in the second
Maupay 7 -- great work rate, caused danger

Subs:
Bissouma 7.5 -- looked quality
Mooy 6
Connolly 7

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Great game. Encouraging positive performance, especially after going two down within ten minutes.

Ryan 6.5
Lamptey 7
Webster 8 -- one mistake but, beyond that, played really well
Dunk 7
Burn 6 -- second game in a row where he has a chance in the six yard box, and doesn't connect properly
Stephens 6
Propper 5 -- two rotten touches that hardly set us off well, technically gifted experienced international should be doing better
Mac Allister 6
Trossard 8 MotM -- 9 for first half performance which contained some memorable passages of play, faded in the second
Maupay 7 -- great work rate, caused danger

Subs:
Bissouma 7.5 -- looked quality
Mooy 6
Connolly 7

Agreeing with all of that, except i'm upping Burn to 7, (yes it's frustrating he missed another sitter but he was otherwise really good) Biss gets an 8 for that cameo. Alexis, I don't think has settled into this team yet and I can't give him more than a 5.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ryan 6
Lamptey 7
Burn 6.5
Dunk 7
Webster 7 as mentioned above outstanding game all bar the error a microcosm of his Albion career so far
Stephens 6
Propper 4
Gross 6.5
MacAllister 5.5
Trossard 7.5 MOTM
Maupay 7

Mooy 7
Bissouma 7
Connolly 7

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We made a good game of it eventually, but for the first 7m and last 10m we Matched the best club in the world .. . . . And despite losing by 2 goals, scored the best goal of the game

Easy to criticise many players, but 8's all round for being in the match and playing at somewhere close to the same level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ryan 6

Lamptey 9
Webster 6 - marked down due a critical mistake at a critical time
Dunk 7
Burn 7

Stephens 7
Propper 6
Gross 6 - his lack of pace is increasingly a big handicap.
MacAllister 6
Trossard 9 - understandably, he tired.

Maupay 7 - worked his socks off, nuisance factor throughout, but not too much of a goal threat.

Subs:
Connolly 7 - had the beating of Gomez.
Bissouma 6 - back to the old crazy horse, not long enough to impose himself.
Mooy 5 - didn’t really notice him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ryan 5: He didn’t get near the Liverpool shots and the ball to a marked Pröpper wasn’t great.
Lamptey 7: Beautiful assist but marked down for letting Salah embarrass us.
Webster 5: Good but marked down 2 for the mistake that probably cost us the game.
Dunk 7: Good without being outstanding. Happy about no O.G.
Burn 7: Back to his early season form. A contender for MoM if he’d buried a chance that any Liverpool player would have sunk blindfolded.
Stephens 6: An inch away from blocking Salah’s header. Not much wrong but no special moments.
Pröpper 4: Generally average and marked down 2 for that awful touch.
Groß 7: Very impressed with him tonight. More shooting please Pascal.
Mac Allister 6: Didn’t set the world alight. Just as much bad as good.
Trossard 8: MoM. Started the season brilliantly and it ending is superbly. Prefer him central.
Maupay 7: Ball did not fall his way but lovely link up play and some very very hard work.

Subs:
Bissouma 7: An awful error or two matches to a fair amount of brilliance.
Mooy 6: Average
Connolly 6: More shooting and staying on side needed. Classic ‘needs a goal’ stage of his career.

Last edited:

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Ryan 5: He didn’t get near the Liverpool shots and the ball to a marked Pröpper wasn’t great.
Webster 5: Good but marked down 2 for the mistake that probably cost us the game.
Burn 7: Back to his early season form. A contender for MoM if he’d buried a chance that any Liverpool player would have buried blindfolded.
Stephens 6: An inch away from blocking Salah’s header. Not much wrong but no special moments.
Trossard 8: MoM. Started the season brilliantly and is ending is superbly. Prefer him central.
Maupay 7: Ball did not fall his way but lovely link up play and some very very hard work.

Subs:
Connolly 6: More shooting and staying on side needed. Classic ‘needs a goal’ stage of his career.

Agree with this except Ryan gets a 6.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think I’m gonna be higher than most having seen the first few...

Ryan 7 - Didn’t have a lot to do saves wise. Cool on the ball but put Propper in a little danger for the first goal but not to blame. Threw up in his goal before the game incidentally - loves the team and the game.

Lamptey 8 - just oozes class and you forget how young and inexperienced he is. List Salah for the 3rd but he’ll learn from it.
Webster 6 - He’s not bad and does some great things but also has mistakes in him and isn’t the best defender. Duffy is a better defender and although Webster is better on the ball, £20m looks too much for him from what I’ve seen so far.
Dunk 8 - Does so much to make us tick and is the model of consistency these days.
Burn 6.5 - Does well and has played well all season, but can’t help but still think he’s not a left back. Not one we need - we need a Lamptey style one - would Burn have crossed for a goal and made that run like Lamptey did - don’t think so. Good squad player and feel harsh writing this as he’s personally been great this season.

Stephens 6.5 - poor mistake giving the ball away but also some lovely touches and passing. Ball for Trossards great chance he hit over bar was class. But feel we need to upgrade the CM next season
Propper 6.5 - Exactly same comments as Stephens.
Gross 6.5 - Best game for a while but pace more of an issue under Potter style than it was under Hughton.
MacAllister 6.5 - Learning all the time. Little sloppy but some very good stuff too. A young talent for sure.
Trossard 8.5 - Showing his worth last few games and is settling in. Wish he’d drive and defenders more as the ability is there.

Maupay 8 - Best signing of the Summer. Great touch, passing, movement and very consistent. Class and underrated player by many for me.

Subs:
Connolly 7 - Very close to being a top, top striker. Loan to the championship for 6 months may help. Movement first class.
Bissouma 6.5 - lost it a couple of times but made some fantastic runs too. The future.
Mooy - Too little time to mark - the fact he was on the bench and we played so well says a lot for squad depth.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Burn 7: Back to his early season form. A contender for MoM if he’d buried a chance that any Liverpool player would have sunk blindfolded.
Trossard 8: MoM. Started the season brilliantly and it ending is superbly. Prefer him central.

Subs:

Talking on bias on another thread, what about the bias towards Stephens? He clearly had two special moments. One beautiful dinked ball (it went forward too!) to Trossard to volley over and another in the second half where incredibly he turned inside and outside of 2 Liverpool players in a tight space. Now I've thought that Stephens looked sluggish against Leicester and United but people never seem to see anything good that he does. For the record, I'd probably give him a 6 too!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Talking on bias on another thread, what about the bias towards Stephens? He clearly had two special moments. One beautiful dinked ball (it went forward too!) to Trossard to volley over and another in the second half where incredibly he turned inside and outside of 2 Liverpool players in a tight space. Now I've thought that Stephens looked sluggish against Leicester and United but people never seem to see anything good that he does. For the record, I'd probably give him a 6 too!

Didn’t realise that was Stephens with the dink so I got it wrong there. Missed the inside outside stuff, probably grabbing drink or food at the time!

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ryan -6- not his best performance , heart in mouth time when he fumbled the ball but recovered to make a good save.
Lamptey -9- MOTM - really impressive again , seems to always manage to keep hold of the ball and forced Liverpool to make a change at left back as he was battering them in the first half.
Webster -7- mistake for the first goal but other than that a good performance
Dunk -6- quiet by his standards, no diagonal balls of note
Burn -6- for someone of his height he should be winning more headers at set pieces.
Stephens -6- got caught in possession and was lucky not to be punished
Propper -4- gifted them the goal and he doesn’t seem comfortable playing so deep
Gross -7- I worried about his lack of pace but had a really good game today
Macallister- 5- anonymous ! Actually thought he had been subbed off when he got the cut to the head
Trossard -8- great performance, great pace running down the wing and got a deserved goal
Maupay -7- chased down the ball a lot and made a nuisance of himself

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ryan - 6
Did ok, nothing real special and distribution was a bit wonky. The pass to Pröpper is fine, the mistake is 100% Pröpper's first touch in the situation.

Lamptey - 9
What is there to say really. I got the same "I'm watching something really special here" feeling as I got from watching Dan James in Swansea last year. And this time its in the Premier League. Already a top class player, thank God all the top teams got very good right backs.

Webster - 8
Great performance aside for the small mistake that the Pool players turned into a big one. Other than that a MoM contender, been really good after the break (as well as in the game before it, against Wolves). Some really nice passes as well.

Dunk - 7
Good as usual, bit less to do than his comrade in central defense and ****ed up the offside trap a few times, could have been costly.

Burn - 7
Did very well especially defensively. Zero confidence in the opposing penalty area unfortunately. I think if he just scored a goal he would bag one every now and then.

Stephens - 6
A few good passes and a few bad ones. Did a decent job as always and you pretty much know what you get. Good squad player.

Pröpper - 5
The mistake is unacceptable, its a whole different level than the Webster ****up. Gets the ball and got plenty of time and five free, available teammates but cant decide whether to play it directly to Lamptey or back to Ryan, resulting in an undecisive first touch that you simply cant do at this level. And similar things happen every game which is unfortunate as he got all the basics to be a great player. Some really good actions and passes, but also turns into a tragedy anywhere near the opposition penalty area.

Gross - 6
Fairly anonymous but worked hard and his corners were fine. Close to a 7.

Macallister - 6
Pretty meh today, did well in applying pressure when they had the ball though. Not a lot of space to work with.

Trossard - 9
Ok sorry I get it, you're good.

Maupay - 7
Not as sharp around the box as he usually is, but worked his ass off, won possession and his passing game is underrated.

Subs:
Connolly - 7
Looks on fire. The goal is just around the corner.

Bissouma - 6
Close to a 7. A bit hit and miss.

Mooy - 6
Didnt really get into the game.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Subs:
Connolly 7 - Very close to being a top, top striker. Loan to the championship for 6 months may help. Movement first class.
Bissouma 6.5 - lost it a couple of times but made some fantastic runs too. The future.
Mooy - Too little time to mark - the fact he was on the bench and we played so well says a lot for squad depth.

All three of the subs entered the game at exactly the same time!

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Ryan - 6
Did OK, no errors, but conceded 3 goals and maybe could have got closer to Henderson's goal so can't give a higher mark.

Lamptey - 8
Another excellent game, easily the best right back in the squad. Would have scored him higher if he hadn't let Salah get away from him for the third.

Webster - 7
Played very well ... apart from THAT costly mistake.

Dunk - 6.5
One of his quieter games, but solid and dependable as usual.

Burn - 7
Had a good solid game. Shame about the miss, but he's not employed as a striker and the job he is in the team for he performed well.

Stephens - 6.5
Played for 96 minutes, did loads of good things in that time, including a superb ball to Tross in the closing stages that should have resulted in an 'assist', yet the Stephens haters on here will just focus on the one time he made a mistake that could have (but didn't) cost us a goal. I'm not suggesting that Dale is the greatest midfielder ever to wear the stripes, but he deserves his place in the squad, and the abuse he gets from some quarters is ludicrous. It says more about their lack of football knowledge than it does about Stephens' perceived lack of ability. He did OK tonight.

Pröpper - 5.5
Davey boy flatters to deceive. He has enormous talent ..... sometimes. He doesn't produce it often enough for me, and tonight was not his best performance. Although he later produced some decent stuff, his early mistake for the 1st goal set the tone for the game. From that point we were always trying to play catch up, and I blame him for the loss more than any other player.

Gross - 7.5
This was the Gross of season number one in the EPL! He was excellent tonight, easily his best performance for an age. Welcome back Pascal.

MAC allister - 5
I'm not going to write him off, he's young, millions of miles from his comfort zones, probably being played out of position in the toughest league in the world ........... but tonight was not a game that will live for long in his memory. Like every other Albion fan, I'm desperately hoping he will prove to be the missing link who will lead us to the promised land, but i've seen precious little to justify the hype so far, and tonight was a struggle for him.

Trossard - 8.5 MOM
At last, Tross is living up to his early season billing. Another excellent performance tonight, particularly 1st half, and seems to be forging an understanding with Maupay which should see him as a regular starter going forwards.

Maupay - 7.5
Getting better and better every game. Didn't get on the scoresheet tonight, but his running, his hold up play, his link play, his off the ball work all first class. He is developing into a really good Premier League player and behind Dunky I would now have him as the 2nd name on my team sheet every time.

Subs:
Connolly - 6.5
Another decent cameo from Aarron tonight. I really like Connolly. The only thing he seems to be lacking at the moment is belief in himself, but I have a hunch that once he scores again he will go on to get goals galore. I'm not in the 'loan him out' camp. Keep him here, let him learn off Muzza, Maupay and the new 20 goal striker we'll get next year.

Bissouma - 6.5
Wasn't perfect, but did enough tonight to show that he should probably have started, although maybe the rest will have done him good.

Mooy - 5.5
I'm a big Mooy fan, but he struggled to get into the game tonight. However, as with Biss, the rest will hopefully have done him good and he can be a contender for a starting spot on Saturday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ryan 6

Lampty 6.5
- some brilliance going forward but he made some really naive decisions defensively.
Webster 6.5
- at fault for the 2nd, otherwise very good, but that mistake cost us so dear.
Dunk 7
- kept in simple, no mistakes, so so reliable.
Burn 6
- against real quality it does show he’s not a natural left back, puts everything into it though.

Stephens 6
- while Propper / Webster’s mistakes led to goals, Stephens was just lucky his didn’t. Great ball for Leo toward the end.
Propper 6
- he’s looked more dynamic recently but you can’t go making errors in the first 5 mins like he did.
Gross 7.5
- excellent, at the heart of everything well, his speed of thought and first time passing really speed up our play.
Trossard 8
- more of this please, could have had a hat trick with a bit more luck / composure.
MacAllister 6
- some nice things, but looks a bit out of sorts with the physical demands of the PL.

Maupay 6.5
- needs to be more clinical. Looked better when playing as a support striker once Connollly came on.

Subs:
Connolly 6
- playing for his PL career next season I feel, could have scored, seems to be lacking confidence / belief.
Bissouma 7
- he’s just box office, swash bucking thrusting from CM. Just needs to cut our errors to be top drawer.
Mooy 5.5
- couldn’t match Gross’s probing first time clever balls, struggled to make any impression.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No idea what game the Gross sub 7 scores were watching? :shrug: We only score because he has the ability to play a first time round the corner blind pass straight into Lampty’s path because what he lacks in pace he has in speed of thought. He sped up our play throughout, some really clever, creative passing that we’ve lacked of late.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
After ten minutes it looked for all the world like it would be an absolute hammering.
We played very well after that - Gross’s most influential game for a while, not Lamptey’s best game but his pace gets him out of trouble and lovely contribution to the goal. Sweet finish from Trossard. They all get 8s. So does Lewis.
6s for the rest apart from Davy. On a team level, it was naive to try and ping it around at the back against Liverpool, but if you are going to do it you have to be right on it.
Davy wasn’t. One-nil. mountain to climb. 5 for Davy.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it's a bit simplistic to mark Propper, Stephens and Webster down for their individual mistakes but not the others who helped create the issue. Ryan and Webster's balls to Propper and Stephens are really bad choices

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here