Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Plenty of positives

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That starting team tonight with good replacements for Burn and Stephens will look pretty decent

Providing the youngsters carry on improving.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He was shockingly bad when he came on, so many loose touches and giving it away. Not seen that from him for a good few games now,

Massive, massive exaggeration. He made a couple of mistakes early on. He wasn’t remotely close to ‘shockingly bad’. We were playing Liverpool, not Rotherham.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Lamptey gets better and better
Trossard getting back to his early season form
We battled on through early blunders and didn’t look overawed
Maupay impresses every game with his work rate
Mac allister’s passing is so crisp he’s only getting better

Add away your thoughts good folk

Agreed. I thought we played really well after the first 10 minutes. Could easily have fallen apart and got beaten comfortably but we really had a go. On another night, Burn takes his chance and who knows what happens at 2-2

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Burn is very good, he seems everywhere. I don’t hold it against him that he’s a panicky finisher.

In Connolly’s cameo, he looked very sharp, a nightmare for Gomez.

Finally, for Potter and the team - a huge thumpsup for sticking to principles after the early blunders, psychologically, they brushed that aside.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Any decent striker is going to want to be signed by us, this window.

I think that's a bloody good point. In previous years going back to Poyet we have relied on one upfront and a lot of pressure on that one to bring others into play. The way Potter wants to play is attack as a unit. That is very appealing to forwards and can see many being interested. Just imagine Ings type upfront for us.

Yoda

English & European
Apart from only one mistake (as far as I can recall) that nearly lead to a goal, Stephens had a really good game. Some of his longer forward passes were a joy, got stuck in when needed and a couple of decent blocks.

theboybilly

Obviously not great to go 2-0 down in 7 or 8 mins. But after that, we were excellent. Liverpool are so dangerous when they get the ball early.

The pundits focus on our change in style of football but we’ve done that whilst bringing into the team Lamptey, Webster, Burn, Bissouma, Mac Allister, Mooy, Trossard, Maupay and Connolly. That’s 9 (nine)* players who are now regulars who weren’t before.

That’s an exceptional amount of change within a very short period whilst staying up (hopefully comfortably).

Klopp calls us “a really, really good football team” and, let’s face it, he knows his stuff.

Next season is exciting.

*Nod to any score round-up.

I like this post. I hadn't thought of the changes like that yet here we are having let two strikers go and we're playing such good stuff at times

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Thought Connolly looked very lively and made himself a couple of very good chances. He's lacking confidence, but once he gets that back, and he will, he looks capable of scoring plenty.

Agree, he needs a goal and then he could be in his way.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Klopp will view us as a good place to send younger players on loan to

Though the trade off maybe that we end up accepting a large bid from LFC re any improving player in year or two

Jimmy Grimble

I never normally come on here after a defeat as all the doom-mongers and managers-in-waiting chirp up with negative shite but tonight I thought I’d make an exception.

Reason being as I thought we played some of the best football we’ve played all season. There is some seriously good coaching going on and some seriously good young players in this squad. I hope it continues as that was the first time in ages where we’ve lost a game and I didn’t care because the football we played was just enjoyable to watch.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm so excited for next season already. With White and Molumby coming back and another transfer window for us to bring in some more Potterball-capable players, I think we are going to have one hell of a side. I think a lot of young players on the fringes at the big teams will be looking at how Lamptey has progressed into our first team and may well be tempted to come to us as well.

Hoping for a young CB to come in to replace Duffy and challenge for the first team (maybe the younger Dendoncker we were linked with?), a long-term replacement for Stephens (unless Molumby can fill that role perhaps?) and another striker and I think we are more or less set, bar another LB perhaps.

On today, it was good to see Groß and Stephens have their best games for ages. Lamptey fantastic again, Trossard looking like the player he did when he first signed for the third game on the trot and, I may be in a minority here, but I felt Mac Allister did pretty well. I love his physicality and work rate, I think he is going to be fantastic next season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Burn is very good, he seems everywhere. I don’t hold it against him that he’s a panicky finisher.

In Connolly’s cameo, he looked very sharp, a nightmare for Gomez.

Finally, for Potter and the team - a huge thumpsup for sticking to principles after the early blunders, psychologically, they brushed that aside.

Agreed.

Burn is such a good, clever player. There is a reason Potter keeps picking him ahead of Bernardo. He is excellent with the ball, very rarely gives it away and uses it intelligently.

And considering most weeks he is up against a quality, quick and mobile winger, he does so well defensively. Again, intelligent, he uses his body so well and his positioning is excellent.

I disagree with the posters who think he will be replaced straight away next season as he really suits the way we play and Potter clearly rates him.

That was enjoyable tonight despite the loss, a world away from the United game. Next season is looking really exciting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed.

Burn is such a good, clever player. There is a reason Potter keeps picking him ahead of Bernardo. He is excellent with the ball, very rarely gives it away and uses it intelligently.

And considering most weeks he is up against a quality, quick and mobile winger, he does so well defensively. Again, intelligent, he uses his body so well and his positioning is excellent.

I disagree with the posters who think he will be replaced straight away next season as he really suits the way we play and Potter clearly rates him.

That was enjoyable tonight despite the loss, a world away from the United game. Next season is looking really exciting.

It’s the Peter Crouch factor, faced in his early career. A very tall player, unless a CB, “he’s no footballer”!

I enjoyed it, the 90 minutes raced by.

I turned the Manure match off. They came with their incredibly expensively assembled first 11, with a determination to crush and suck the life out of us. Citeh do the same, I get zero enjoyment of seeing Citeh PL games with us. Bad loser I admit.

The rock’n’roll football of Klopp is far more unstructured, they always appears vulnerable to the likes of Brighton and CP. They attack, they never set out with an immovable and faultless back 5 or 6 in front of their goal, instead FB’s bomb forward leaving gaps, which eg Lamptey exploited. Klopp’s Liverpool could quite easily win a game 5-1 or lose it 2-1.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Klopp will view us as a good place to send younger players on loan to

Though the trade off maybe that we end up accepting a large bid from LFC re any improving player in year or two

We aren't really in need of loans of decent young players though.
We have plenty of our own.

Their 19 year old FB got destroyed by our one last night.
We already have our best prospects in the first team or out on loan and our under 23s are sitting well above Liverpool in the PL2.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Obviously not great to go 2-0 down in 7 or 8 mins. But after that, we were excellent. Liverpool are so dangerous when they get the ball early.

The pundits focus on our change in style of football but we’ve done that whilst bringing into the team Lamptey, Webster, Burn, Bissouma, Mac Allister, Mooy, Trossard, Maupay and Connolly. That’s 9 (nine)* players who are now regulars who weren’t before.

That’s an exceptional amount of change within a very short period whilst staying up (hopefully comfortably).

Klopp calls us “a really, really good football team” and, let’s face it, he knows his stuff.

Next season is exciting.

*Nod to any score round-up.

Very excited for next season. Potter is taking us upwards, I'm sure of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here