Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Five substitute rule looks set to apply for 2020/21

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sounds like IFAB will propose that the five substitute rule also applies next season, for player welfare reasons, with the season starting late.

I wasn’t aware that Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Sheffield United and West Ham voted against the proposal coming to the Premier League for Protect Restart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn’t aware that Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Sheffield United and West Ham voted against the proposal coming to the Premier League for Protect Restart.

Whereas the Albion were praying to everyone from Ganesh to Aunt Bessie that it would.

As an aside Smug Eddie, perhaps unsurprisingly, was called out on Football Weekly for being somewhat of a tyrant.

It's either Smugs way
Or
F**k off, with no open door policy in between.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As an aside Smug Eddie, perhaps unsurprisingly, was called out on Football Weekly for being somewhat of a tyrant.

It's either Smugs way
Or

:lolol:

Nothing wrong with a bit of clarity.

I once worked for an organsiation who's 'designed by committee' maxim was "Valuing our Differences and Making Our Communities a Safer Place to Live, Work and Travel."

On my first day in a new team my new boss handed me a cup of coffee and said: "My motto is rather more straightforward: Fit in or F**k off."

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whereas the Albion were praying to everyone from Ganesh to Aunt Bessie that it would.

It's either Smugs way
Or

I believe Glenn Murray can expand on this, somewhat.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sounds like IFAB will propose that the five substitute rule also applies next season, for player welfare reasons, with the season starting late.

I wasn't aware either, but am unsurprised. The rule blatantly favours the bigger clubs, with deeper squads.

West Ham are a slight outlier, as you'd think Moyes would welcome the chance to play all of the dozen or so attacking midfielders he inherited.

Bournemouth entirely understandable as their squad is paper thin. Sheffield United the least surprising of all, as Chris Wilder has barely felt the need to use 16 different players all season, let alone in a single match!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't have the heart to point out to this fella, if palace stopped paying £120k a week to non internationals, they might be able to afford full internationals.

[tweet]1280766725370327047[/tweet]

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I hope they bin the drinks break, January might not be so hot and strength sapping.

Me too. I hate the game now being played in 4 quarters.

If this was to continue for the next season I can see the possibility of commercial breaks being chucked into live broadcasts. What next? Six 15 minute segments?

We know that this is being looked at for VAR decisions with commercials being considered for future seasons, but if this happens in drinks breaks too watching a live game on TV will be ruined IMO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't have the heart to point out to this fella, if palace stopped paying £120k a week to non internationals, they might be able to afford full internationals.

[tweet]1280766725370327047[/tweet]

I've (just about) got better things to do with my life than to disappear down the rabbit-hole of correcting idiot Palace fans on twitter, but if you were that way inclined, I'm not sure where you'd start with this?

Possibly to point out that Chelsea actually only made three substitutions in the entire match, thus making it literally irrelevant to the debate in hand?

Or maybe to point out that Palace themselves made FOUR substitutions, replacing FOUR full internationals, with FOUR more full internationals, in Sakho (FRA), Meyer (GER), Townsend (ENG) and McCarthy (IRE)...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've (just about) got better things to do with my life than to disappear down the rabbit-hole of correcting idiot Palace fans on twitter, but if you were that way inclined, I'm not sure where you'd start with this?

Possibly to point out that Chelsea actually only made three substitutions in the entire match, thus making it literally irrelevant to the debate in hand?

Or maybe to point out that Palace themselves made FOUR substitutions, replacing FOUR full internationals, with FOUR more full internationals, in Sakho (FRA), Meyer (GER), Townsend (ENG) and McCarthy (IRE)...

They really are a breed apart.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really good news for us.....with GP's tactical nouse and willingness to change things around, coupled with our 'no superstars' squad depth and developing youngsters, more flexibility is a very good thing as post-lockdown matches have already shown.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not a fan of this at all. Blatantly favours the big clubs that have the depth smaller clubs can't afford.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes but it might be chilly and a quick cup of Bovril does wonders, as us in ESU will testify :whistle:

NOT from a flask I hope!

Bovril-football-ad-rattle-60s.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Worried they will keep this as it is a perfect opportunity for some commercials.

The beauty of the beautiful game is the comparative lack of stoppages when compared to AFL, Rugby (both codes) and Aussie Rules. This is just the dumbing down to gain income, very sad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I note you couldn't resist.

A valid further point from a Chelsea fan too, who highlighted that two of their three subs (Abraham and Loftus-Cheek) came through the Chelsea youth system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here