Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Liverpool

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I won't be too miffed at the lineup due to the calibre of opponents. However, I'd like to see us give them a real go and not sit back, why not?

Quite, we’ve done okay against Liverpool over 3 seasons with nothing to show for it. Need a bit of Southampton’s belief against City the other night.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ryan

Lamptey Dunk Webster Burn Bernardo

Bissouma Mooy Propper

Trossard Maupay

Subs: - Button. Montoya Duffy March Gross Mac Allister Stevens Connolly Murray

This.

I think we have to go five at the back so the wingbacks can push high thereby (hopefully) blunting Liverpool's most attacking threat from their fullbacks. We need to keep TTA & Robertson defending by pushing Lamptey & Bernardo on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldn’t mind having a look at Mooy in the centre over this period, maybe not tonight but in assessing our CM options him going in there against top opposition could be a good opportunity.

Please God, no.

Too slow, and simply doesn't work hard enough. We will never win a PL game against any opposition, with Mooy in a CM two. (If we are playing him there as WELL as two others, that's a different argument).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Starting XI:

Ryan
Stephens
Bissouma
Cochrane
Spong
Roberts
Kayal
Mac Allister
Murray
Maupay
Dunk

I hacked into GP's supercomputer and decoded his alogrythm. It uses a random number generator to choose from our playing squad as registered with the Premier League. If there was no player with the squad number generated, the player he choses is the one with the nearest squad number. Keepers are not in the algo, so I assume Ryan is a shoo-in.

As good a chance as any of this lot being chosen. No idea about formation, but then neither do they.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Please God, no.

Too slow, and simply doesn't work hard enough. We will never win a PL game against any opposition, with Mooy in a CM two. (If we are playing him there as WELL as two others, that's a different argument).

Definitely disagree about his work rate, but agree that he is too slow/weak to play as one of two central midfielders.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I would like to see Bernardo start, always looks good when he (rarely) comes on and is surprisingly good in the air.
Also, he kicked Andone up the arse.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Wonder if we’ll see any surprises tonight?

I think we’ve all given up hope of AJ playing again, but I wonder if there’s a chance of a young player, a Jenks or someone being involved?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool

Ryan
Webster Duffy Dunk Burn
Mooy Pröpper Bernardo
Groß Trossard
Maupay​

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ryan
Webster Duffy Dunk Burn

This is Potter’s Burnley centre back four special. Designed to counter long balls played down the flanks as well as centrally to nullify the likes of Wood & Barnes. That is not how Liverpool play.

Surely we need pace to deal with Salah & Mane? Lamptey can keep up with the Premier League’s fastest players so has to be first on the team sheet for me.

You seem to want this back four for every fixture?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ryan
Webster-Dunk -Burn
Lamptey-Bissouma-Propper-Bernardo
MacAllister-Maupay-Trossard​

3-4-3 or 5-2-3/5-4-1/5-5 when they’ve got the ball.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Please God, no.

I always thought he was superb in that role when H'Field got promoted, his passing crisp and prompt, he gets a get picture of the game in his head early which I do feel counteracts his physical speed. This mental picture enables him to play as a wide player, or inside forward without much pace. With Bissouma in there, I'd like to see him in there, but am a big Propper fan so no great shakes if this experiment never happens! :p

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
GP will want Gross in there for his defensive duties, probably in place of Mooy.

You say that, yet this season Mooy has carried out more tackles, won more tackles, more blocks, much more interceptions, more clearances and more headed clearances than Gross and we’ve conceded less as a team with Mooy on the pitch than when Gross is on. 26 apprarances for Mooy, 25 for Gross.

As I’ve said before, his set pieces are superb and he works hard and presses well but apart from that, he really doesn’t justify a place in the side.

Ryan;
Lamptey - Webster - Dunk - Burn;
Mooy - Bissouma - Propper;
Mac Allister - Maupay - Trossard.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This is Potter’s Burnley centre back four special. Designed to counter long balls played down the flanks as well as centrally to nullify the likes of Wood & Barnes. That is not how Liverpool play.

Surely we need pace to deal with Salah & Mane? Lamptey can keep up with the Premier League’s fastest players so has to be first on the team sheet for me.

You seem to want this back four for every fixture?

I'm not really impressed by any of our full backs at defending in the conventional full back role.

As the opposition can only play on one wing at a time, the supply is cut out or a midfielder drops back. We really need a speed merchant up front to discourage advancing full backs.

Lamptey is a winger in my book.

I see lesser teams than Liverpool be restricted to long shots like United, Arsenal and Leicester. The job is to force Liverpool out of their rhythm or preferred style.

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?
I like the look of that team tbf.

I think we’ll line up in a variation of 4-4-2 though. In which case I’d go with;

Ryan

Lamptey - Webster - Dunk - Burn

Mooy - Propper - Bissouma - March

Connolly - Maupay​

I think March offers more defensive cover down the left, an area I can see Liverpool targeting. I just hope Potter doesn’t stick Bis on the wing again...

I’d go with this but I’d start with Murray and Connolly, and bring Maupay on after an hour. Murray Can hustle Fabinho and Van Dijk, and maybe nick a few free kicks

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As long as he doesn't play Connolly and Maupay together I really don't care

Ryan

Lamptey Webster Dunk Bernardo

Bissouma - Propper

AJ. Mooy

MacAllister

Maupay

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’d go with this but I’d start with Murray and Connolly, and bring Maupay on after an hour. Murray Can hustle Fabinho and Van Dijk, and maybe nick a few free kicks

Fingers crossed Kayal and AJ will start as well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here