Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Building work

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I still find it hard to believe, after an extensive search, there isn't a house in a perfect location for all the happy pigs.

A £60 to £80k undertaking with all the associated ballaches, as said, makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Still crack on, good luck to you and I hope it runs smoothly.

Brighton and Hove prices - a typical example, acquire a bungalow with 2 bedrooms for £450k or less in a popular area, then spend £120k converting it into a 4 bedroom house. More attainable than having to spend £675k on the finished product.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Budget seems about right but the devil is in the detail. You need to make sure you specify what you want as far as possible. Comment above about 3 months so allow for 6 is spot on. Consider using this or at least referring to it to see what things need to be considered......

JCT Building contract for a home owner/occupier with no consultant (JCT1)
Who can use this homeowner contract?
A home owner or a builder.

What is this homeowner contract for?
It is suitable for a homeowner who wants to employ a builder for an extension or for improvement work to a house without having a consultant to oversee the work. This contract from the Joint Contracts Tribunal has the Plain English Crystal Mark for clarity. It is designed to protect the homeowner from problems during building works, renovations, and property improvement projects. It is a consumer contract for residential occupiers.

Having a contract in place with your builder is an essential part of planning your home improvement project and provides the peace of mind of legal protection. Read &/or download our free contract guidance for a homeowner here

If you have a consultant to oversee the work, you should use document JCT2 .

We are looking to move and we have our eye on a bungalow which would need a fair bit of work.

We're looking at putting a room in the roof (with en-suite) and reconfiguring the downstairs, including moving the bathroom/bog and a rear extension.

I reckon on a budget of £60-80k.

Is my budget right ? Also, how long would such works be likely to take as we will probably move into a rented place for the duration and that's gonna cost too ?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I bought a bungalow in horrific condition three years ago. I’ve done a rear kitchen extension for £35k (the builder’s bill was £27k, the rest was on the actual kitchen) and a loft conversion (two bedrooms and a bathroom) for about £50k. So I’d say your budget looks right.

How did u get a kitchen extension done for £35 k ! What size is it ? I’ve been quoted between 90 - 125 k from 4 different building firms . 15 ft x 20 ft build with lantern ceiling & by folds .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
How did u get a kitchen extension done for £35 k ! What size is it ? I’ve been quoted between 90 - 125 k from 4 different building firms . 15 ft x 20 ft build with lantern ceiling & by folds .

This is because you live in Hove, you live in an expensive area, I am sure you have mentioned it once or twice :wink: builders see some parts of Hove and immediately see pound signs I suppose, and it's a drama to park.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are looking to move and we have our eye on a bungalow which would need a fair bit of work.

We're looking at putting a room in the roof (with en-suite) and reconfiguring the downstairs, including moving the bathroom/bog and a rear extension.

I reckon on a budget of £60-80k.

Is my budget right ? Also, how long would such works be likely to take as we will probably move into a rented place for the duration and that's gonna cost too ?

Give these a call, they might be able to get it cheaper. 020 8768 6000.
London company in SE25 6PU area. Experts in cladding.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
do away with lantern ceiling and by folds ???can be done

The lantern allows the existing rear room to have some light, without the lantern the original lounge/dining room would require the lights
on all day. A decent lantern can be purchased for £1500

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Depends on the size . Assuming the bungalow is around 1700 sq feet & your extension is around 12ft by 15 ft plus dormer window for the loft conversion so that you have decent headroom otherwise the loft room looks like a tunnel with limited headroom . I think you are looking at around £120K - 150k for both if you want it done well by a reputable firm with a decent finish .

No way is it £60k, costs that for a decent loft conversion .

I have had a pal, who is a chartered architect, look at it and he reckons £80k is about right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here