Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The masterstroke of dropping Potterball

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I noted [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] coined the term "Potterology" the other day. Could we offer you in that instead?

If it's an 'ology' wouldn't that mean the study of Potter?

For example [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] is the leading Potterologist on the board.

Or

Oh no! I'm late for my introduction to potterology class.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree it was tactically very competent - but I don't think it's 'dropping Potterball'. It's absolutely part of 'Potterball' - he's shown a remarkable willingness and ability to vary tactics and formations - both at the start and then during games - depending on the opposition, game state etc. Clearly a deep thinker too. It's brilliant.

There's a reason why you got 21 thumbs ups for this. He is a very intelligent man, and tactically incredibly astute. The break has helped, because it's given him and his team the opportunity to relay a barrow load of information to the players.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's a reason why you got 21 thumbs ups for this. He is a very intelligent man, and tactically incredibly astute. The break has helped, because it's given him and his team the opportunity to relay a barrow load of information to the players.

It's been absolutely great for him - an opportunity to reset, think about how things had gone so far, further develop and educate the squad etc - essentially like an additional pre-season, but with the benefit of 30 games experience to use (plus whatever he's learned about the opposition). I strongly suspect he's been working harder in the break than even normal (as have the players - we're seem to be visibly fitter, better prepared and 'together' than most other teams) - he certainly seems to have used it incredibly wisely and looks a very fast learner. Really excited to see how things develop next season with the younger squad and more time/experience under his belt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's been absolutely great for him - an opportunity to reset, think about how things had gone so far, further develop and educate the squad etc - essentially like an additional pre-season, but with the benefit of 30 games experience to use (plus whatever he's learned about the opposition). I strongly suspect he's been working harder in the break than even normal (as have the players - we're seem to be visibly fitter, better prepared and 'together' than most other teams) - he certainly seems to have used it incredibly wisely and looks a very fast learner. Really excited to see how things develop next season with the younger squad and more time/experience under his belt.

It certainly looks like the players were 'working' during lock down and it's paid dividends now.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Agree it was tactically very competent - but I don't think it's 'dropping Potterball'. It's absolutely part of 'Potterball' - he's shown a remarkable willingness and ability to vary tactics and formations - both at the start and then during games - depending on the opposition, game state etc. Clearly a deep thinker too. It's brilliant.

Agreed. Potter’s style is very much horses for courses. Maty Ryan’s distribution in some ways sets up the way we play and it’s varied a lot even post lockdown.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Only Brighton supporters would lavish praise on a manager for adopting defensive tactics to end horror run of form as if it were some sort of visionary, having wanted a manager out 12 months previously for being too negative.

Ultimately it's a results business and we've got the ones that have mattered, that's what needs to be applauded.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

el punal

Need better players dont we

Maybe, or maybe better utilisation of the players that we’ve got. There is no doubt that we are an evolving team, an improving one at that, but still not the finished article. As time goes by we will get better and I believe the results will reflect that. Exciting times ahead eh? :albion2:

el punal

Only Brighton supporters would lavish praise on a manager for adopting defensive tactics to end horror run of form as if it were some sort of visionary, having wanted a manager out 12 months previously for being too negative.

Ultimately it's a results business and we've got the ones that have mattered, that's what needs to be applauded.

That’s a bit harsh. Any fans of a team (not only Brighton) that had been struggling with no wins for months, had been predicted by many to be certs for relegation, who then resume fixtures with two wins and a draw out of four played would also lavish praise on the manager. More so when you consider that out of the five teams below us there has only been one win among all of them - that speaks volumes in the attitude, team spirit and overall improvement on the pitch. In this case, yes, let’s lavish praise on Graham Potter, had it been the reverse he would justifiably have had brickbats coming in his direction instead.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Apart from the fact the manager hasn't adopted particularly "defensive tactics", and people aren't praising him for doing so, that's a really top post. Maybe it's just me but I thought he was getting praise on here for tinkering to good effect, and largely getting the team motivated and playing well since restart. Whilst we're at it though, 2 clean sheets in 2 away games is very decent.

It’s not just Journalists & Commentators. This is Klopp at today’s press conference:

“They changed their approach since lockdown, so we don’t know exactly what we will face.”

Advantage Potter.

Well up to you, but I don't place much store on the polite PR of pre-match press conferences even if it heart on sleeve man Klopp. It's platitude city to feed Grub Street

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Apart from the fact the manager hasn't adopted particularly "defensive tactics", and people aren't praising him for doing so, that's a really top post. Maybe it's just me but I thought he was getting praise on here for tinkering to good effect, and largely getting the team motivated and playing well since restart. Whilst we're at it though, 2 clean sheets in 2 away games is very decent.
We took up defence first tactics in the Sheff United game which carried through into Wolves after the Palace debacle. We ground out 2 points without doing much attacking at all.

We played well against Arsenal with less possession and took our chances. We had a promising first half against Leicester and then shut up shop. Bar a clumsy pen we created absolutely nothing in the Leicester game.

We were completely shit against United (well until they eased up in the 2nd half) and got the job done against Norwich with a disciplined display.

Let's not go overboard here, we've gone back to basics to get results after a bonkers run of 2 wins since our last victory over Norwich at the beginning of November. But we've virtually got over the line.

We don't have to go extreme and overboard here by making this out to be some incredible achievement, frankly it's the least that should have happened with the money spent and the early season promise, but the results have been better and kept us up, that's the main thing. Where we went wrong last year was getting stuck in the rut with nowhere else to go, thankfully this time we've got out of it. Well done for that, G Pot.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We took up defence first tactics in the Sheff United game which carried through into Wolves after the Palace debacle. We ground out 2 points without doing much attacking at all.

We played well against Arsenal with less possession and took our chances. We had a promising first half against Leicester and then shut up shop. Bar a clumsy pen we created absolutely nothing in the Leicester game.

We were completely shit against United (well until they eased up in the 2nd half) and got the job done against Norwich with a disciplined display.

Let's not go overboard here, we've gone back to basics to get results after a bonkers run of 2 wins since our last victory over Norwich at the beginning of November. But we've virtually got over the line.

We don't have to go extreme and overboard here by making this out to be some incredible achievement, frankly it's the least that should have happened with the money spent and the early season promise, but the results have been better and kept us up, that's the main thing. Where we went wrong last year was getting stuck in the rut with nowhere else to go, thankfully this time we've got out of it. Well done for that, G Pot.
Nobody is going overboard here. Away points at Wolves, Sheff Utd and Leicester - all of whom were chasing champions league spots when we played them - are very creditable. A home win (and double) at home to Arsenal isn't too bad either, and Norwich was a banana skin yet the job got done and we didn't look like conceding until the 93rd minute. The 2 wins in 4 months was indeed bonkers, simply because the performances didn't deserve it. We were poor at times in that run, but also drew games we deserved to win.

If you want people to dial it down a bit, you're probably best off waiting and coming back on here after the next two games have past.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The day we have everyone behind the ball in and around our penalty area and keep hitting long balls to a lone striker on the halfway line is the day I’ll start to have doubts about GP.

I will not be averse to everyone behind the ball and relying on breaks for the next two games though. I am sure GP will have something more intricate than that planned though

We kind of did that a bit to Connolly vs Utd, that’s why the first half was so poor.

I have no problem with the “come on then, break us down” approach, either under Potter or Hughton.

I do think for the next two games we do need mobility at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The cringeworthy football of playing a 9-0-1, February to May 2019. Painful for those who went to games.

It’s been a rollercoaster under PL rookie Potter, but so much more enjoyable in overall terms.

Only it was nothing like that - come on be fair [emoji2]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

To be honest I think he needed to, because until Wolves away we had looked very predictable since the turn of the year.

GP’s great strength though is his ability to reflect and change and as you say he has used the break productively.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only it was nothing like that - come on be fair [emoji2]

An isolated centre forward, always crowded out by two giant CB’s, receiving hoofballs from his 10 deep-lying colleagues 50 yards away.

Yes, it was very much like that.

Awful football. Stains, Burnley, Bmuff and Cardiff teaching us on our own patch how to play winning football on the deck with pace, power and a midfield. Not to mention being outplayed on the road at an assortment of opponents.

Feb to May 2019 was dire, it’s no wonder that TB made his mind up with several games to go.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
An isolated centre forward, always crowded out by two giant CB’s, receiving hoofballs from his 10 deep-lying colleagues 50 yards away.

Awful football. Stains, Burnley, Bmuff and Cardiff teaching us on our own patch how to play winning football on the deck with pace, power and a midfield. Not to mention being outplayed on the road at an assortment of opponents.

Feb to May 2019 was dire, it’s no wonder that TB made his mind up with several games to go.

Burnley we had exactly the same shots (16) as this season and more possession (67%) so actually it was nothing like that. The referee changed the game with the ridiculous handball that he missed.

The other games were terrible admittedly, but Bournemouth hit us on the break early on and we were chasing the game, but some of that was also down to a distinct lack of quality. Potter quickly realised this and moved the poor players on or didn’t play them. Stains both sides were awful, it certainly wasn’t a lesson, it was Bissouma being careless - arguably we were as bad this season albeit with 10 men.

Cardiff was pure garbage.

But Hughton kept us up, Potter has taken us forward, but the achievement was keeping us up in that first season.

Pleased we’re going in the right direction and thankful for the foundation Hughton laid.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Spurs away, despite a lot of ‘oooh we almost nicked a draw, we were unlucky’ comments, was for me embarrassing. Attack after attack after attack, and whilst we defended resolutely, all we did was hoof the ball upfield to usually literally no-one (Spurs often had none of their own players in their own half because they didn’t need any either) time after time. It was like watching a rugby defensive kick ‘into space’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here