Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The masterstroke of dropping Potterball

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As we laboured to a 0-1 over the Canaries, a commentator mentioned how easy it was to set-up against them.

‘Their full backs bomb forward so you just need to be ready counter attack when they lose possession’.

That’s exactly what we did, the inevitable mistake occurred and we took our chance. For most of the rest of the match, we soaked up pressure in an almost Hughtonesque way although we were rarely forced back into our penalty area. Our possession stat of 42% confirmed that the ‘keeping the ball’ philosophy of the manager had vanished.

Looking at the restart, I predicted that Potter will be one step ahead of the opposition when the Premier League resumed. As various opposition teams planned to play a possession obsessed outfit, they instead came up against a team and tactics our previous manager would have been proud of. The defensive wall Potter erected at the end of the Norwich game when we were just 0-1 up spoke volumes about where his tactics and mindset was:

Webster Duffy Dunk Burn Bernardo

“Thou shalt not pass”

Our possession stats have dropped dramatically in all post lockdown games indicating a dramatic move in tactics.

I remember Watford away where his substitutions were Maupay & Andone as we led 0-1, what a contrast. How do you plan against such a changed outlook?

The big question now is will we ever see the return of Potterball? If so, when?

Southampton found the key to stopping Man City and it pretty much involved having as little possession as possible. Tomorrow and Saturday will be interesting, will we be served more Hughtonesque backs-against-the-wall drama?

For my part, I’m very much hoping for a return to Potterball against Southampton, Newcastle and Burnley but whatever happens, you can rest assured that Potter will keep his opposition Managers guessing and guessing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The day we have everyone behind the ball in and around our penalty area and keep hitting long balls to a lone striker on the halfway line is the day I’ll start to have doubts about GP.

I will not be averse to everyone behind the ball and relying on breaks for the next two games though. I am sure GP will have something more intricate than that planned though

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As we laboured to a 0-1 over the Canaries, a commentator mentioned how easy it was to set-up against them.

‘Their full backs bomb forward so you just need to be ready counter attack when they lose possession’.

That’s exactly what we did, the inevitable mistake occurred and we took our chance. For most of the rest of the match, we soaked up pressure in an almost Hughtonesque way although we were rarely forced back into our penalty area. Our possession stat of 42% confirmed that the ‘keeping the ball’ philosophy of the manager had vanished.

Looking at the restart, I predicted that Potter will be one step ahead of the opposition when the Premier League resumed. As various opposition teams planned to play a possession obsessed outfit, they instead came up against a team and tactics our previous manager would have been proud of. The defensive wall Potter erected at the end of the Norwich game when we were just 0-1 up spoke volumes about where his tactics and mindset was:

“Thou shalt not pass”

Our possession stats have dropped dramatically in all post lockdown games indicating a dramatic move in tactics.

I remember Watford away where his substitutions were Maupay & Andone as we led 0-1, what a contrast. How do you plan against such a changed outlook?

Southampton found the key to stopping Man City and it pretty much involved having as little possession as possible. Tomorrow and Saturday will be interesting, will we be served more Hughtonesque backs-against-the-wall drama?

For my part, I’m very much hoping for a return to Potterball against Southampton, Newcastle and Burnley but whatever happens, you can rest assured that Potter will keep his opposition Managers guessing and guessing.

Agree it was tactically very competent - but I don't think it's 'dropping Potterball'. It's absolutely part of 'Potterball' - he's shown a remarkable willingness and ability to vary tactics and formations - both at the start and then during games - depending on the opposition, game state etc. Clearly a deep thinker too. It's brilliant.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

“Thou shalt not pass”

As has been pointed out. You have described Potterball. Tactics chosen specifically for each game. Right tool for the right job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I love the way he often waits for the opposition to make their substitutions first, then sends on our subs with a masterplan to neutralise it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree with others that I always took Potterball to mean a high level of tactical and formational (not quite the right use of the word but you know what I mean) flexibility.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
must admit , results are all that matters to me , even if they come ugly.

Saturday was brilliant for the 3 points and ultimately that is all that matters.

But .... it was a horrible horrible watch.

If that header goes in at the end then questions would be asked

It didnt and we move on.

Need better players dont we

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The reason we joke about predicting the line up is Potter has a different approach for every game. Sometimes that works sometimes it does not but he always makes positive in game changes when it is not going our way which in the main have worked.

With more experience he will get this right more often than not and we will increase our points tally. He is a very smart guy and tactically very sound give him the right tools and I have no doubts at all he will further improve our results and finishing position.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ironic innit.

For all the CT and Pizza Box nonsense [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has some really good insights into Potter and football in general. I totally agree with the assertion he made that it is very much the lockdown conditions that have mostly been in play here. At times it has simply been too hot to play a high tempo passing/pressing game. Though the drinks break helps, in theory, I'd add as my own observation that the drinks break often acts to break up momentum and change tactics.

Against Norwich it wasn't hot, conditions were more like they are in October or March, so this WAS a tactical exception because that's how you beat Norwich. Pragmatically we needed the three points. However, we were able to do so because against Leicester we had some practice as conditions were so hot we had to play in fits and starts (additionally giving them nothing to break against themselves). But the drinks break point stands for Norwich - it was no conincidence we scored just after it, after they had had a period of dominace.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The day we have everyone behind the ball in and around our penalty area and keep hitting long balls to a lone striker on the halfway line is the day I’ll start to have doubts about GP.

I will not be averse to everyone behind the ball and relying on breaks for the next two games though. I am sure GP will have something more intricate than that planned though

having men behind the ball, solid defending is fine as long as you can break and support forward play quickly. relieves pressure and presents opportunities to score. that needs faster players and i think we have them presently.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We did to Norwich what other teams were doing to us earlier in the season - let them have the ball and wait for a mistake. We deliberately forced them into the channels knowing that Dunk and Duffy are waiting in the middle to mop up. It wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We did to Norwich what other teams were doing to us earlier in the season - let them have the ball and wait for a mistake. We deliberately forced them into the channels knowing that Dunk and Duffy are waiting in the middle to mop up. It wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

Duffy came on in the 94th minute :D

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Potter has had great media coverage for style of play but this went a long time ago. All very well at looking good but whatever his views it wasnt bringing in the points. I think about Wolverhampton away he must have said sod it we need to stop giving away goals and went to with great success a Hughton type game of keeping it tight and trying to nick a goal. Only difference is passing ball about in first third. Something he is forced to do with no Murray/Hemed/Androne up front.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Agree it was tactically very competent - but I don't think it's 'dropping Potterball'. It's absolutely part of 'Potterball' - he's shown a remarkable willingness and ability to vary tactics and formations - both at the start and then during games - depending on the opposition, game state etc. Clearly a deep thinker too. It's brilliant.

This. 'Potterball' hasn't been dropped or abandoned, we just haven't seen that aspect of it until it was required.

The deeper you look into the philosophy, you realise how bloody good it is...and yet, so simple.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It was a match in which we hauled ourselves nervously over the relegation line. Not that our players looked nervous but as a team we seemed inhibited.
It's really not a game to read much into. Played conservatively, got lead, defended lead.
In some ways it's disappointing we weren't a goal behind with time running out because I'd love to see how we'd be set up in that scenario with 5 subs and GP prepared to play almost anyone anywhere.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Norwich game was a masterclass in using the opposition's weakness to good effect. In this instance, Norwich simply don't score because their strikers are shot of confidence, a bit crap and won't gamble and attack space in the 6 yard box. Consequently, Potter set up to give them as much width as they wanted, fully expecting their fullbacks and wingbacks to deliver balls into the box for absolutely nobody to run onto. On the other hand, he crowded out the middle of defence and midfield so there was no way they were going to pass through the middle to score.

The fact that we pinched a goal was excellent, but I reckon he'd have taken a point.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

He has been criticised amongst our support for tinkering and "not knowing his best XI" but this goes to show that if you tinker to good effect it can be a positive (and I don't think he even has a best XI anyway, it's very much a squad effort here).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Sums up how I would have replied. There is no single style that epitomises GPotts ethos, because the ethos is all about flexibility and adaptability.

Both styles are Potterball, and next season we will undoubtedly see other variants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here