[Albion] Premier League 07-09/07/20

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was it, really though?

Maybe as a keeper, I'm overly defensive of them sometimes, but I hate the narrative that ANY goal at the near post is a keeper error. De Gea has left only the TINIEST of gaps there, and Stanislas has found that spot and hit it well, from about 4 yards away. De Gea is left hopelessly exposed by Maguire getting humiliated by the forward in the first place, and has litle option but to hedge his bets to try to protect the goal, AND cover the pass to Solanke waiting for a tap-in. :shrug:

There's people on here who blamed Matt Ryan for Enda Stevens thunderbolt at Bramall Lane, on the grounds of 'near post'. Its a nonsense.

TBF as a keeper you probably also know how easy it is (or not) to cover the near post and not get beaten at the far post at the same time. The narrative comes from almost all pundits almost all the time, but I guess not many pundits are ex keepers.

De Gea had a shocker of a game though. His passing was all over the place and he seems not to inspire any confidence in his defence, having made genunie howlers throughout the season.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Time for Cantwell and Pukki to step up.
We thought that with bottom clubs playing each other the points couldn't go to both. Now it's a case of the points will go to one or the other, unless of course it's a draw.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agree with both of those, I don't think it was aa mistake but he wasn't great generally.
On a similar note,I didn't think Che Adams' goal was that good but I seem in a minority. He hit it well, but it did fall very nicely and he had a lot to aim at.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Time for Cantwell and Pukki to step up.
We thought that with bottom clubs playing each other the points couldn't go to both. Now it's a case of the points will go to one or the other, unless of course it's a draw.

Cantwell has a hamstring injury, from his 15 mins against us, so isn't playing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
TBF as a keeper you probably also know how easy it is (or not) to cover the near post and not get beaten at the far post at the same time. The narrative comes from almost all pundits almost all the time, but I guess not many pundits are ex keepers.

De Gea had a shocker of a game though. His passing was all over the place and he seems not to inspire any confidence in his defence, having made genunie howlers throughout the season.

It is very, very, easy to glue yourself to your near post, and let the opposition pass the ball into the unguarded 8 yards of open goal, safe in the knowledge that 'at least its not your fault'.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Villa? Agree 100%. They really put in a shift against Liverpool (who were missing three influencial players) but just came up short. We'll have to see if it inspires or demoralises them.

Bournemouth? Looked shot to bits. Yes, they scored twice, but the first was another terrible keeping error from De Gea and Man U really could have scored 10.

fair enough , I didnt see the game to be fair , just hearing the updates it sounded like Utd were in a game for a while. Hope they go down. Crappy club

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
fair enough , I didnt see the game to be fair , just hearing the updates it sounded like Utd were in a game for a while. Hope they go down. Crappy club

Watched it with my son after we'd watched our win. Smug Eddie looked DISTRAUGHT :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite a bit of the relegation battle could hinge on tonight's game between Watford and Norwich.

Watford win - gap opened up, and it's looking likely the existing 3 will drop.

Norwich win and it is absolutely game on, even giving Norwich the slightest sniff of a great escape, which only looks even vaguely possible due to how shit the teams directly above them have been.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Er, we are playing Liverpool in this round of fixtures.

Yeah, it's almost as if I'd just had a bottle of wine when I posted that...

Substitute the stat about our opposition not able to score away from home instead.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Haha [MENTION=26594]watford[/MENTION]

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Going to plan so far
3b43e96915278189f2a07ca0051e4078.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills