Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Suspected case of bubonic plague in China's Inner Mongolia

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The WHO (not Roger Daltrey and co.) report that there are between 1,000 and 3,000 cases of bubonic plague a year. China had two cases last year, but that didn't make the news. Now we are in full on China is evil and full of disease mode, a stubbed toe-nail in Beijing is probably a sign the 4 horsemen of apocalypse are on their way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The WHO (not Roger Daltrey and co.) report that there are between 1,000 and 3,000 cases of bubonic plague a year. China had two cases last year, but that didn't make the news. Now we are in full on China is evil and full of disease mode, a stubbed toe-nail in Beijing is probably a sign the 4 horsemen of apocalypse are on their way.

I did wonder if that was the case but I was being incredibly lazy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Would get zero attention a normal year as its not that uncommon.

Totally true. Even been screened for it when visiting Mauritius few years ago because there was an outbreak on ‘neighbouring’ Seychelles. As you say, not uncommon. Approx 10 die from it in the US each year I think. Prairie dogs (gophers to most of us, like the one in caddyshack!) are carriers (see what I did there? :lolol:)

One thing CV19 has done is increase people’s knowledge of diseases, where’s before you needed a passing interest at least to understand these virus manifestations and plagues have never really gone away. And more are coming. Read some great books on in the past and more recently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I wonder why the emphasis on the plague being in China when it was first detected in the neighbouring country of (Outer) Mongolia and spread to the Chinese province of Inner Mongolia ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder why the emphasis on the plague being in China when it was first detected in the neighbouring country of (Outer) Mongolia and spread to the Chinese province of Inner Mongolia ?

Could be political, could also be because most Americans likely are unaware of the existence of Mongolia.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

The selectiveness put me in mind of the way the possible Kansas origins of the 1918 have been completely overlooked in recent months.

Maybe that's a good thing. The underlying nationalism of trying to name where a worldwide outbreak began seems as irrelevant as it is arbitrary, especially given the lack of worthwhile evidence. Assuming the next most dangerous threat will be blamed on South America, which seems a reasonable bet given the incursions into natural habitats going on there, it'll be interesting to see if similar jingoistic stuff goes on in response.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Mongolia is a different country to China, unless they have annexed that too !
Is there such a thing as China's Mongolia ?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
On average 7 bubonic plague cases in the US each year....
Source CDC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Mongolia is a different country to China, unless they have annexed that too !
Is there such a thing as China's Mongolia ?

"Inner Mongolia" is part of China, the part that borders the country of Mongolia

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Well, I never knew that.

The media might be ridiculous (and this story is ridiculous; as has been said, bubonic plague crops up all the time, so making it headline news now is a bit sinister) but at least we're not at the "Fox news" stage here where they're getting whole countries mixed up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here