Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tell Me Where To Move To?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Time to pick the collective brains of NSC. We currently live in Hassocks - lots we like about it, short walk to shops, station, easy access to Brighton and The Amex but.....we are early retired, late 50's who had a plan to travel a lot over the next few years. Covid has put a bit of a stop on that for a while and possibly longer. During the lockdown period we've been rethinking what we want to do with the next few years and where we want to be. Our consensus is we'd ideally like to stay in Sussex but in a house with more land so that we can get stuck into it as a project (ours is a relative new build with a corresponding tiny garden) and away from estates that attract young families (we are gradually getting more intolerant of kids noise!). Ideally close to the coast but happy to move further inland for the right place, content to be further away from the railway than now. Budget is going to be around £600k so it rules out some of the more "exclusive" villages. Also would consider crossing the border to a neighbouring county - most likely Hampshire as we have kids in Southampton.

So where would NSC suggest we look at moving to?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poling?

Bloody lovely and well within your price range, good walks and farmland/sense of space, close links to A27 and closer to your kids in Southampton whilst still close enough to Worthing/Brighton etc.

poling 2.jpg

poling.jpg

albionite

May 20, 2009
Selsey, pagham area will give you most house/land for your money if you are looking to stay in Sussex and be near Hampshire.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there are over ~2500 3 bed+ properties in 20 miles of Hassocks between 400-600k on Rightmove. i'd start search there. as nice for tips on places NSC oracle is, there needs to be properties for sale.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Time to pick the collective brains of NSC. We currently live in Hassocks - lots we like about it, short walk to shops, station, easy access to Brighton and The Amex but.....we are early retired, late 50's who had a plan to travel a lot over the next few years. Covid has put a bit of a stop on that for a while and possibly longer. During the lockdown period we've been rethinking what we want to do with the next few years and where we want to be. Our consensus is we'd ideally like to stay in Sussex but in a house with more land so that we can get stuck into it as a project (ours is a relative new build with a corresponding tiny garden) and away from estates that attract young families (we are gradually getting more intolerant of kids noise!). Ideally close to the coast but happy to move further inland for the right place, content to be further away from the railway than now. Budget is going to be around £600k so it rules out some of the more "exclusive" villages. Also would consider crossing the border to a neighbouring county - most likely Hampshire as we have kids in Southampton.

So where would NSC suggest we look at moving to?

The area around Emsworth might be worth a look. On the rail link to Soton and near the A27. Chichester is up the road and there's an interesting coastline to explore. Perhaps a bit pricey but for £600k you'd get something decent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Selsey, pagham area will give you most house/land for your money if you are looking to stay in Sussex and be near Hampshire.

Nah Selsey's a right ballache if you want to go anywhere.

I'd draw a square from Chi to Midhurst, Peterfield to Havant and have a look inside that.

Rowlands Castle, the Hartings, the Marsden's around Midhurst, less so Petersfield.

All well connected but just rural enough to not be blighted by mass new build developments.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure I'd want to be west of Chichester, or possibly even Arundel, if I expected most of any travelling I do to be eastwards. The traffic buildup can be horrendous.

So if trips to Brighton, or similar, are going to be more frequent than trips to your family in Hampshire, I'd probably not look any further west than Arundel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure I'd want to be west of Chichester, or possibly even Arundel, if I expected most of any travelling I do to be eastwards. The traffic buildup can be horrendous.

So if trips to Brighton, or similar, are going to be more frequent than trips to your family in Hampshire, I'd probably not look any further west than Arundel.

Yeah that's a good call.

The move really ought to be centred around which direction you intend to travel from your new base.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Retired last year at 58 and moved from Hove to Seaford, downsized but live only a couple of stone throws from the beach, absolutely love living here and have enjoyed lockdown with some fantastic walks from home. Seaford head, Cuckmere Haven, Alfriston and Friston forest all walkable. The Amex 35 minutes on a direct train makes it quicker to get to than from Hove. Worth a look around here, with avoiding rush hour Brighton only 25 minutes by car Eastbourne barely 20 Lewes a mere 15. Chuffed we made the move tbh. Worth a thought??? Just noticed the Southampton connection so probably the wrong county.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200619_080658.jpg
    Screenshot_20200619_080658.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 327

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here