Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone got a fully electric car ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I have decided that my next car, in the next year or two, or maybe even sooner will be a fully Battery Electric Vehicle, not a hybrid of any sort.

When I started looking I was happy with the choice currently available and what's in the pipeline. However, I think I'm starting to suffer from range anxiety. I know I shouldn't, I make very few journeys of more than 150 miles each way, or even 150 miles round trip and loads of BEVs cover this range now. I think it might be a case of well I like that, but this has a better range. Like looking at houses outside your price range, great but makes what you can afford look like sh*t.

So what are other NSCers experience if any with a BEV and is there anything I can take that costs less than 40 grand to cure my new found anxiety.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"Anyone got a fully electric car ?"

I've got an old Scalextric in the loft. Does that count ?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Got myself one of these. Great fun. Not the best at going round corners.

vintage-1960s-scalextric-model-racing-car-game-by-triang-in-the-uk-2APJ2ER.jpg

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I had a Nissan Leaf on loan for a couple of days; was very impressed. Car went like stink and from memory had a range of about 220 miles. Comes with an App so you can set the heat/air con before going out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Doesn't the Hyundai Kona come in below your target price range and above your target anxiety range?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Was considering one myself recently but like you do worry about range and battery life,

"You can expect electric car batteries to last for around 10 years. However, battery capacity will decline with age and use, potentially to around 60% of its original figure after a decade of typical use. That means an EV with a 100-mile range would only be capable of 60 miles on a full charge" - RAC

Decided to get a small litre petrol for the time being giving me better range and emissions are far more efficient than I thought. Next car in another 10 years will be electric I'm pretty sure.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Having taken a fabulous test drive in a Tesla, intellectually I would consider a fully electric car. However, as I don't have a fully electric garage i.e. no power source, it's a no from me. However, a reasonably priced hybrid could one day be an option.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Doesn't the Hyundai Kona come in below your target price range and above your target anxiety range?

The Kona and e-Niro are my first choices due to range 250 miles plus and equipment, This is where my 'range anxiety' or I prefer to call it 'range jealousy' comes in as I want that range at a cheaper price, I can't justify to myself spending over £30,000 on something that is going to sit in the driveway for 95% or more of it's life.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Last time out I promised myself I would only buy at least a part-electric car. This was not so much out of consideration for the environment, rather fear over the residual value of a traditionally fuelled car.

This was, of course, in a pre-Covid world and I was still in my naive, narrow-minded mindset that bad things like climate change and killer pandemics never really happen. Alas, I was able to get a great deal on a diesel SUV, and so a diesel SUV is what I bought.

My two biggest issues were the purchase cost and the apparent lack of infrastructure. I sincerely hope that these last few months bring about a greater awareness of Mother Earth and accelerate the take up of electric vehicles, and subsequently bring about a decrease in price of the technology and an increase in nationwide infrastructure, it just feels a bit chicken and egg.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Was considering one myself recently but like you do worry about range and battery life,

"You can expect electric car batteries to last for around 10 years. However, battery capacity will decline with age and use, potentially to around 60% of its original figure after a decade of typical use. That means an EV with a 100-mile range would only be capable of 60 miles on a full charge" - RAC

Decided to get a small litre petrol for the time being giving me better range and emissions are far more efficient than I thought. Next car in another 10 years will be electric I'm pretty sure.

Not sure how old that RAC report was but many electric cars have 8 to 10 years warranty on the batteries to maintain at least 80% power. Hyundai even offer a lifetime warranty on the battery for the original owner.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

That advice is woefully out of date. Even the 1st generation Leaf batteries, with poor thermal management are out living the car, and being used as storage as 2nd life batteries.

The degradation of cells has been over estimated base upon some early failures and newer cell chemistry, cooling and charge management means that for most new cars, the manufacturers are offer 8 to 10 year warranties on batteries now.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107864_electric-car-battery-warranties-compared

To the original question, there are a number of cars with 300 mile plus ranges now, which will be enough for all but the biggest bladdered amongst us.

Upcoming changes in battery chemistry and shape mean that we may see 500 mile batteries at rapidly decreasing cost in the next year or 2.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
I've had a Leaf for 6 years. You need a drive (with a fitted charger) to minimise filling up at recharging points. Most of my journeys are less than 50 miles for which this car is brilliant. No Congestion charge (I live in London) no tax, dirt cheap servicing. Yes range has now dipped in its old age to about 80 miles but thats OK for 90% of my needs. For the other 10% a petrol car sits in the garage.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Last time out I promised myself I would only buy at least a part-electric car. This was not so much out of consideration for the environment, rather fear over the residual value of a traditionally fuelled car.

This was, of course, in a pre-Covid world and I was still in my naive, narrow-minded mindset that bad things like climate change and killer pandemics never really happen. Alas, I was able to get a great deal on a diesel SUV, and so a diesel SUV is what I bought.

My two biggest issues were the purchase cost and the apparent lack of infrastructure. I sincerely hope that these last few months bring about a greater awareness of Mother Earth and accelerate the take up of electric vehicles, and subsequently bring about a decrease in price of the technology and an increase in nationwide infrastructure, it just feels a bit chicken and egg.

Similar issues here but am relieved that the charging infrastructure is expanding crazy, there are now more charging points than there are petrol stations, and most people with home charging would never need them anyway. Can't fill up with diesel or unleaded at home can ya.!

Time to charge up was a concern but now that's coming down to the length of time it takes to have a cup of coffee, last remaining barrier for me is the initial cost for the range I want. I need to get it into my head that I don't need a 250 mile range to pop down to the supermarket or to get to work.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You buying outright or leasing?

My company car lease runs out in September, and the company I work for has now changed policy and I'll be given extra cash (of which the Treasury will grab a significant chunk) instead of another car. So I've begun researching what I can get on a lease, and electric is high on my priority list. At the moment, it's looking like the Renault Zoe R135 - quoted range is 245 miles, charge time is good, and you get a fully installed wall charger for home as part of the deal. Not yet got far enough with my research as to whether you get the charger on lease deals or if it requires buying to own.

And yeah, I know the Zoe has a reputation - but the latest models (if you go for the R135 motor and top spec options) look like really good value for money.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Guessing the technology is getting better all the time but a mate has just got his second leaf (so he must like them) but the battery did perform worse than that. He'd had is old one was about 5 years old and towards the end he was getting 45-50 miles out of a charge which started life with a 120 mile range.

His new one is supposed to 220 miles but realistically he gets about 180 but that may be down to how he drives.

They aren't cheap though he didn't get much change from £40k for his new leaf which is putting me off at the moment. Guess you need to weigh that up against how much you'll save in fuel.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My next car will definately be fully electric, currently have a Toyota hybrid and looking at my mileage/usage (retired) I realised that all my trips are under 50 miles except for a couple of trips a year to see relatives and we would either use train or hire a petrol car.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My neighbour has a Jaguar iPACE. I have driven it up and down to London a few times recently so he can have heart surgery, and he's given me his spare key.

It is easily the most stunning car I've driven. Would I have one? Hell, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqtNHuFq5k

Edit: this top gear presenter is a dick. Keeping it charged is a piece of piss. If you worry about running out of electricity you need to get out more. Or, er, stay in more.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
You buying outright or leasing?

My company car lease runs out in September, and the company I work for has now changed policy and I'll be given extra cash (of which the Treasury will grab a significant chunk) instead of another car. So I've begun researching what I can get on a lease, and electric is high on my priority list. At the moment, it's looking like the Renault Zoe R135 - quoted range is 245 miles, charge time is good, and you get a fully installed wall charger for home as part of the deal. Not yet got far enough with my research as to whether you get the charger on lease deals or if it requires buying to own.

And yeah, I know the Zoe has a reputation - but the latest models (if you go for the R135 motor and top spec options) look like really good value for money.

I intend to purchase, retirement is on the horizon, which is getting a lot closer and don't want ongoing monthly payments. Zoe spec looks good, would need to see one in the flesh (metal) but it looks small, Clio ish size and I really want mid (focus) size at least.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here