Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next Season - Will League One and Two happen?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
What are the latest rumours on whether League One and League Two happen next season?

With only a fraction of the TV income that Championship clubs receive how can they pay any wages if there is no gate income?

We've been so absorbed with the restart of the Premier League and Championship that there seems to be only limited discussions in both the mainstream media and on social media as to whether the L1 and L2 seasons can even take place in 2020/21.

Unless they can find a way of getting fans back into stadiums the outlook looks terrible.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
They should do, and the Premier League and Championship should subsidize against lost gate revenues until fans can return. Am I being a simpleton?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Um, YES?

Might not have the money they're accustomed to, but football goes on, at both their level and also at umpteen levels below them. People will always play football, will always form leagues

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Might be easier to get fans back at that level. Social distancing can be achieved at stadiums that function at significantly less than capacity and have lower total numbers. A bigger issue may be the ongoing cost of testing, if this is still a requirement.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd be surprised if they didn't come back but it's certainly a time to look at their viability. Maybe a North South split and players going part time.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Um, YES?

Might not have the money they're accustomed to, but football goes on, at both their level and also at umpteen levels below them. People will always play football, will always form leagues

But without income how do clubs pay players?
Until the government allow mass gatherings in stadiums how can their season start?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's probably 20+ clubs that arent paying their debts and taxtes atm... I think the whole "four fully professional leagues" thing could be under a bit of pressure.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Until the government allow mass gatherings in stadiums how can their season start?

Surely they would have a legal obligation to play the players they are currently contracted with anyway? Perhaps there are appearance bonuses etc and obviously all the supporting staff, but if the majority of costs are wages, that is still going to be an issue.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the OP raises a valid point. Clubs have furloughed their players but will still be making significant losses on their overheads.

Once players return to training the eligibility for furlough will end, and the furlough scheme itself will end on 31st October.

With TV income modest and no gate receipts it would appear clubs would have to sell assets to survive, so sale and leaseback of grounds and training facilities, selling players.

Some clubs may get by this way, and Prem clubs could help by getting the transfer food chain going. You wonder whether this may also force the issue with lower league clubs having arrangements with bigger clubs, i.e. feeder for players, venue for women's / reserve football.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

'Mass' gatherings relatively easily managed in the lower leagues, I'd suggest. Just need to get their social distancing act together, no? Probably far easier to manage than a busy Wetherspoons :lol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
With lower income they need to respond rationally by reducing contract offers. I think this is already happening.Runaway player salaries is a relatively modern development and needs to be replaced by developing younger, cheaper players. There should be pressure from fans whose priority will be club survival. Let’s hope the owners think the same.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All depends on how soon they can get fans back into the grounds safely. Plans would need drawing up by...August, with hopefully some fans in place by midway through the season.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
At non-league I think they've agreed not to start until fans can attend and that October is the earliest it could do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here