Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was TB right to sack Chris Hughton?

Was TB right to sack Chris Hughton

• Total voters

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
[Wish we could get Chris back to a game as gust of honour in front of a packed Amex to say goodbye properly.[/QUOTE]

Never going to happen. Do you honestly think he would come back following the way the club got rid of him? Would love to think it would happen but just can't see it.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
[Wish we could get Chris back to a game as gust of honour in front of a packed Amex to say goodbye properly.

Never going to happen. Do you honestly think he would come back following the way the club got rid of him? Would love to think it would happen but just can't see it.[/QUOTE]

Not saying I think it will happen. I’m saying I wish it could happen.

You see plenty of ex-managers in the hospitality areas, even ones we sacked!

Takes time though for wounds to heal.

Perhaps it will be as an opposition manager, although I think that’s unlikely in the prem.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Excellent Championship manager unfortunately it ends there.

He didn’t learn anything from his PL time at Norwich which was the most disappointing.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
right decision in every sense but I think unceremonious nature of it left left a rather bitter taste for some. it would have been nice if the fans had know before city that he was leaving.

in terms of a footballing choice it was 100% correct. people always say with regards to the 'hughton was sacked due to his style of play' argument "wouldn't you rather play awful football and win games than try to play nice football and get relegated". people forget that hughton wasn't winning games, which is primarily why he was sacked. I think tony has been vindicated in his choice so far, and the club now has a very high ceiling under gp. some people however (*cough* john barnes *cough*) are still struggling to accept that the right decision was made last may. Ch will always be an albion legend though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[Wish we could get Chris back to a game as gust of honour in front of a packed Amex to say goodbye properly.

Never going to happen. Do you honestly think he would come back following the way the club got rid of him? Would love to think it would happen but just can't see it.[/QUOTE]

Would be grand if an NSC-arranged meal could be, er, arranged like we've done in the past for certainly FDM and, I think, Calde and also Bruno. We need to praise CH like we should. IMHO, like

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Massive gamble by Bloom and as much as I liked CH and what he did for the club , I actually stopped going to games because of the negative football and the one aim seemed just to stay up .

If I've read all Bloom and Barbers statements correctly, just staying up isn't what this club is about anymore .

Potter is not scared of making changes or styles of play and seems to adapt well to in match situations , Bloom is no mug and handing Potter a 5 year contract as a relative unknown as a top flight manager makes a statement of intent to push forward both on and off the pitch .

We may still be a #teamlikebrighton but something special is starting to happen at this club and if the recruitment gets things right I see us making steady progress in the next 4 seasons under Potter and Brighton And Hove Albion will be a club respected and known all over the world .

I love the way we play now and yes we will get turned over every now and then but at least Potter gives it a go .

Chris Hughton will always be a good part of the clubs history but in all honesty would people want to watch his 1 dimensional gameplan every week ?

Bloom took the gamble and early signs are it was the correct thing to do , we're not safe yet but I think the club can start preparing for another season in the Premier league.

So summing up yes I was shocked and yet not surprised if that's possible but it was the correct thing to do imo obviously.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Yes. It was a sad day and Hughton will always be a hero of mine, but we were only heading one way (imho it wasn't up).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Never going to happen. Do you honestly think he would come back following the way the club got rid of him? Would love to think it would happen but just can't see it.
.[/QUOTE]

We all know the lengths many of our fans went to in the dark days and indeed getting permission for Falmer, iirc [MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]largeone even sent a valentines card to two Jags.

If the fans really have an appetite or “saying goodbye” then I’m sure some could organise something?

Me, well all I’ll say is it must be awful having the inevitable handsome compensation burning a hole in my pocket. [emoji23]

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It’s a big yes from me , just as it was at the time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes, especially because we had Potter lined up.

Ditching CH for someone likely to be not much better would have been wrong.

GP is clearly an outstanding and progressive manager. We are very lucky to have him. (Tony Bloom seems to be a lucky sort of bloke.)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes. His time was up, the team weren't responding to his management anymore and he seemed powerless to change it.

Just a shame that he couldn't have left on a high. Imagine how emotional that man city game would have been if we knew that Bruno AND Hughton were both leaving.

A man of great integrity and decency he'll always hold a special place in Albion history. 2015-18 were three incredible years. I really, really hope he gets the chance to come back to the Amex to receive the welcome/farewell/love he fully deserves.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still don't know whether it was the right thing or not, and maybe never will. :shrug:

I look at Newcastle last season, now this season under Steve Bruce and never would have guessed Bruce would bring them goals and a bit of flair. Sometimes it just comes right for a manager, the players all get confidence at the same time, the belief in what their doing flows through the side, and the manager ends up looking a genius. You could perhaps look at Southampton's season as well. They were dire in the early parts, now they're beating Man City. You then look at Miracle Eddie, and he didn't become a bad manager over night, confidence and belief are fickle mistresses.

All that said, Potter has bought a swagger, a flexibility to tactics, and investment in youth that has been refreshing and at times exciting. That isn't to say he's had his own equally poor period this season that bares comparison with last. We were the last side in the entire football league to win a game in 2020. It's not easy this management lark.

Perhaps Hughton wasn't actually sacked for his technical / tactical / management know how, but as an elder statesman of English football, maybe he too just couldn't get beyond #teamslikebrighton. Perhaps Potter as a young man making his own path in football is perfect because #teamslikeÖstersund get to the Champions League if you play with ambition and to your strengths.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sometimes managers run out of road. I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do it as Chris is such a nice bloke, but the hard reality is TB put in £200m+ and you have to do what protects your investment.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Right decision. I could never see him changing his style to a more attractive and positive form of football that would keep the fans entertained and keep the club in the premiership.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes, and the timing was very professional. Season ended, sorted, move on. Would have been very strange to have that hanging over the Man City game,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I went for 'Yes, but I wasn’t happy about it at the time', but that 'time' didn't last long.

In some ways, TB probably did CH a favour, because I fear the football would've remained the same and the team would've been struggling straight from the off.

The Potter appointment wasn't made with this season in mind, I think (and hope) that the real fruits of it will come in the following years, now that he has a season of PL management experience and the new/young players are coming through. It's potentially exciting times!

Difficult for TB to do it any differently, because it would've been weird for everyone if he'd have been sacked before the City game and then still been in charge. I don't think CH would need it – because he knows how much the vast majority of fans love him and appreciate the job he did – but some kind of recognition to him from the fans would be nice, if however possible. Might not be possible, or approved of, but maybe as a half time guest at a PL game at some point in the future?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
He'll be back. As a guess I'd say 2022/23 season after taking a championship side up.
Right person at the time, similar to Gus. They both took us one step further up the ladder but then got stuck.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would be grand if an NSC-arranged meal could be, er, arranged like we've done in the past for certainly FDM and, I think, Calde and also Bruno. We need to praise CH like we should. IMHO, like

Curry night?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here