Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What should be our focus for the last 5 matches?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If any operations are needed get them done now - Alzate, and possibly Connolly and Webster, who have both had niggles in the second half of the season. I'd like to give more game time to the youngsters, but White's loan has been extended to the end of the season, and I expect the same applies to Clarke, Walton and Molumbey. Ostigard and Gyokeres? - maybe some time on the bench?
I'd like to see Lamptey and Mac Allister start every match to get them acclimatised for next season, and it would be good to persist with and practising playing two up front.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If any operations are needed get them done now - Alzate, and possibly Connolly and Webster, who have both had niggles in the second half of the season. I'd like to give more game time to the youngsters, but White's loan has been extended to the end of the season, and I expect the same applies to Clarke, Walton and Molumbey. Ostigard and Gyokeres? - maybe some time on the bench?
I'd like to see Lamptey and Mac Allister start every match to get them acclimatised for next season, and it would be good to persist with and practising playing two up front.

excellent post....would be good to give some forward time to some of the U-23 forwards like Cashman or throw in young U-18 Tolaj.....

TNBA

TTF

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
best way to prepare and have momentum for next season is to get as many points this. a couple of players in for a couple of games yes, but mostly no experimentation. we dont seem to do well at that i'd rather a two or three strategies and learn them, rather than the tinkering.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I just want us to turn up and compete like we have all season. We have a recent record of flip flops and the beach once the basic target is reached

Play as if the games are the first 5 of the season rather than the last 5

As much as I would love us to get loads of points and catch teams above us, we have to think of next season. It's such a short off season that we could get a start on other teams by making sure players are rested and going through as much of a normal pre season as possible.

It would hurt to go all out in meaningless games and end up with Maupay or Dunk doing their hamstring and missing the start of the season.

Sending them all to the beach isn't such a bad idea really. We have an opportunity to be well prepared and should take it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As much as I would love us to get loads of points and catch teams above us, we have to think of next season. It's such a short off season that we could get a start on other teams by making sure players are rested and going through as much of a normal pre season as possible.

It would hurt to go all out in meaningless games and end up with Maupay or Dunk doing their hamstring and missing the start of the season.

Sending them all to the beach isn't such a bad idea really. We have an opportunity to be well prepared and should take it.

Get what you are saying but we now have an opportunity to go out and enjoy games, but we do need to be competitive imo. Going though the motions can result in injuries too.

These are not meaningless games as it gives Potter freedom to introduce ideas/tactics that a relegation battle precludes. Potentially useful for next season

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
1. Catching Southampton and being the top club on the south coast
2. A goal for Connolly
3. Blood some more youngsters, maybe Sanders, Cochrane, Jenks or Roberts
4. Build a plan to hit the ground running in September
5. Give Muzza and Ali J some minutes. Both important squad players and true professionals
6. Catch Palace. They have a tough run in. Why not?

Perfect !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Once relegation is mathematically impossible I'm fairly certain GP will be more interested in giving the young players a chance (showing that they are close and just need to continue to work hard to improve) rather than getting three points that only matters on a piece of paper.

A normal year a player like i.e. Kayal would also get a bit of play time to say farewell to the fans etc, seems fairly pointless now though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Get what you are saying but we now have an opportunity to go out and enjoy games, but we do need to be competitive imo. Going though the motions can result in injuries too.

These are not meaningless games as it gives Potter freedom to introduce ideas/tactics that a relegation battle precludes. Potentially useful for next season

Yeah, you're right, there will be a happy medium between straining every sinew and playing the same XI six times in three weeks, and just not bothering. Certainly Potter and this set of players are not going to throw the games, no way. Plus a jammy win for Villa today and west ham and Watford win their winnable next games, and it will all look a bit tighter again. May well not be safe until the Newcastle game.

Will be fun to watch us with the pressure off last couple of games I reckon though

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Once relegation is mathematically impossible I'm fairly certain GP will be more interested in giving the young players a chance (showing that they are close and just need to continue to work hard to improve) rather than getting three points that only matters on a piece of paper.

A normal year a player like i.e. Kayal would also get a bit of play time to say farewell to the fans etc, seems fairly pointless now though.

This is my hope. Would be great to see Jenks and Taylor Richard given a chance in the final games.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Connolly had his op in March apparently.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Planning for next season as soon as we are safe. The closed season will be short. We need to make the best use of the time between getting safe and kicking off the new season in early Sept. Anything else is unnecessary risk verging on negligent. What might that mean?

- give time to some of the squad players
- give the youngsters bench time
- get Alzate's op sorted out asap
- get the conditioning programmes in place
- of course win where we can (points mean dollar of course) but the bigger prize is next season

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
After a (strange) year in charge - let GPott decide who's (first team) in and who's not
Sit the entire post-Covid squad down and set the objective for the remaining 5 games
Have grown up conversations with the senior players on the fringes of next season and sort out what's best for them and the club
Identify two players that can be bought in (for money) to improve the first team
Get Ashworth to SMASH his contact book
Drive down the squad age

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Potter must have a dream formation that he wants to play so I'd pick a match, Southampton or Newcastle, and coach the squad with the tactics suggesting that this is there chance to show how they fit in long term and to find out which replacements we might need. I imagine his plans consist of 3 CB's some useful wing backs and midfielders who can pass accurately over short distances

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think its 2M extra money for how high you finish in the table, so I guess try and get as many points as possible.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Reaching or surpassing the 40 point mark would feel like a tangible reward for the team’s progress and looks very achievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here