Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
A small bugbear of mine. A shot that hits the post is a miss. It didn't bail us out: if the post hadn't been there, it would still have been a miss. It's a header off target that just happened to be quite close!

If you're playing basketball and your intended three pointer hits the rim and bounces out, it's not a good shot just because it was close. It's a miss.

Also, perhaps we made them look bad.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think we were very lucky not to concede in the last 10mins or so and Farke was the one who picked the wrong starting 11 this time.
If Pukki and the other 2 had started, the result may have been very different.
I think the end of next season will be a better time to assess Potter, after possibly another couple of player additions and bringing players up the ranks.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Let's not go overboard here. grateful for the win obviously, but this was a game between two very poor teams, where we just came out on top, just escaping relegation doesn't turn Graham Potter into a master tactician.

This, with bells on. :thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
OzMike;9404897[B said:
]I think we were very lucky not to concede in the last 10mins or so[/B] and Farke was the one who picked the wrong starting 11 this time.
I think the end of next season will be a better time to assess Potter, after possibly another couple of player additions and bringing players up the ranks.

I disagree.
We restricted them to half chances. Ryan wasn't pulling off save after save, neither did they waste golden opportunities.
The fact that they hit the post doesn't change the fact that they managed very little in the way of shots on target, in their "must win" match.

A very mature away performance from Potter. Building on 3 impressive draws.

As others have said, channelling his inner-Hughton, has reaped dividends.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I disagree.
We restricted them to half chances. Ryan wasn't pulling off save after save, neither did they waste golden opportunities.
The fact that they hit the post doesn't change the fact that they managed very little in the way of shots on target, in their "must win" match.

A very mature away performance from Potter. Building on 3 impressive draws.

As others have said, channelling his inner-Hughton, has reaped dividends.

Maybe that was largely down to the fact that Farke left his best players sitting on their arses for the lion share of the match.

Statistically a poor game with a moment of brilliance from Mooy and Trousard.

Shots - Norwich 12, Brighton 8

Shots on target - Norwich 1, Brighton 2

Corners Norwich 0, Brighton 2

We got the job done, but let's not turn this into something it ain't, we have probably just survived once again. :smile:

Having said that, I'm backing Potter to do a lot better next season..:thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Maybe that was largely down to the fact that Farke left his best players sitting on their arses for the lion share of the match.

Statistically a poor game with a moment of brilliance from Mooy and Trousard.

Shots - Norwich 12, Brighton 8

Shots on target - Norwich 1, Brighton 2

Corners Norwich 0, Brighton 2

We got the job done, but let's not turn this into something it ain't, we have probably just survived once again. :smile:

Having said that, I'm backing Potter to do a lot better next season..:thumbsup:

Glass half empty vs Glass half full.

It was ever thus/

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If anyone doesn't think we are playing better football from last season, then they have very short memories. I remember feeling so down after the Bournemouth and Cardiff games plus numerous others last season from Xmas in.

Not only are we playing better football but we are safe with 5 games to go and you could argue we were safe after the Arsenal or Leicester games. I know mathematically we still aren't safe but come on.

There are negatives about Potter for me but I would rather these than put up with the Hughton style of football. Negatives being, vast changes to the team every game and slow play. We were pretty poor attacking wise yesterday up until the goal which was very good. It would be great to have that style all the time but we are not a top 6 team, yet...

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I think we were very lucky not to concede in the last 10mins or so and Farke was the one who picked the wrong starting 11 this time.

His plan was to bring the best players on vs a tired Brighton as we had been in previous matches. But we are fitter now and Potter knew that was his plan.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The difference a post makes! People would be up in arms if that had crept in.

I wouldn't have been. This was a mustn't lose game not a must win. The win is a bonus. I'm more pissed off that we didn't steal the win against Leicester.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His plan was to bring the best players on vs a tired Brighton as we had been in previous matches. But we are fitter now and Potter knew that was his plan.

This...and Potter countered it with Stephens and then Duffy. A second goal would have made it totally comfortable, but always felt like we were in control, without getting out of third gear. Tactically a very competent performance IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was thinking that. Many thought Fulham would storm the prem relative to most promoted teams. Many thought villa would too. Many people will automatically think Leeds will too. And as for West brom, they were bang average/poor in the prem for quite a while before finally falling through the trap door...

I do feel Sheffield United will struggle next season though. They’re players are quite basic and performing with a level of newly promoted excitement and hysteria they won’t be able to maintain season after season. My tip for the trap-door.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We were pretty poor attacking wise yesterday up until the goal which was very good. It would be great to have that style all the time but we are not a top 6 team, yet...

It’s interesting how we tend to view a striker who does little all game but then conjures up a single piece of magic to win a game versus a team which does the same. The striker is lauded with quotes like “that’s why he’s world class” etc. Teams get “lousy performance but we managed to hang on for a win”.

This isn’t a criticism of your post btw, I do exactly as I have just stated. I’m just musing.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Norwich are dreadful. I like Potter but a post like this after that game is laughable :lolol:

It was a poor performance but we got the job done against a team who were worse than us, I thought our tempo was lacking throughout the game personally.

Agreed.
We got the job done- just. If that shot had rebounded off the post to a Norwich player to tap in,NSC would be a very different place.

We scored a great goal and really should have gone on to dominate and score more but became sloppy on the ball and in the last 15-20 minutes seemed to be happy to hoof it upfield rather than keep the ball.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do feel Sheffield United will struggle next season though. They’re players are quite basic and performing with a level of newly promoted excitement and hysteria they won’t be able to maintain season after season. My tip for the trap-door.

Especially if they qualify for European football.
That will really stretch their squad.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
We do have some moaning fans, had to turn off phone during the game yesterday as my friends BHA group was full of doom and gloom. But all clubs have them, including my Palace friend who proudly stated on resumption of the season 'I know you will laugh, but we are going to get a European place this year' and last night' this is probably the worst Palace team I have seen in the premier league, no passion, no skill, no tactics and if Sakho plays again then the Brighton win would have been my last ever game. Bring in Dyche as Roy has not got a clue. See you were lucky again'

I rest my case, we all have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
I'm not going to rave about today's substitutions but our starting line up and tactics were spot on, we liited them to pot shots and nothing too difficult to handle.

Potter across the season has done a grand job in transforming our style of lay and developing some average players into footballers. I cannot wait until next season to see how we set up and play under Potter
It shows how good Potter is to come into a new club, in his first season managing in the Premier League and competely transform the team's style of play and finish with a higher points total in his very first season (as well as on average the team scoring more goals per game and conceding fewer goals). It's quite the accomplishment what Potter has achieved so far.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This...and Potter countered it with Stephens and then Duffy. A second goal would have made it totally comfortable, but always felt like we were in control, without getting out of third gear. Tactically a very competent performance IMO.

Yep. :thumbsup:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'll take a little piece from [MENTION=28481]neilbard[/MENTION] here, in the apology thread.

It has felt very Hughtony.

Plotting a course to not get relegated, as opposed to imposing Potter's will and winning or die trying.

When this team has been good, it's been sensational.
But there's been a lot of attrition as well, certainly far more than we were sold 12 months ago, and in August.

Obviously I accept there's a degree of 'if the cloth fits', but I still expected more, because I was promised more.

Today could have been an embarrassment, Norwich weren't fit to be in the same division and yet were never put to the sword.

I do expect more, considerably more, next season, despite what you can read here we have a sensational squad who from now on must be looking up and only up.
Very worried about fan expectations reading the above !! People are expecting us to brush Norwich aside. A team who only got beaten 1-0 by Liverpool recently and beat Leicester at home only a few games ago.

We are about where we should in line with how much we have spent and how good our squad is, I'm still not convinced our squad is any better than west ham or Bmuff for instance.

We've played great stuff at times but unfortunately in a lot of those games we've come away with nothing. Potter is finding out it almost pays to play more defensive football in this league, so we are probably more likely to see more rather than less of this next season.

I hope we don't turn into Stoke fans and accept only free flowing champagne football going forward because it will punish us in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do you ever browse opponents message boards before and/or after games? All message boards are the same, some a lot worse than NSC, in terms of negativity etc when they lose.

Always makes me chuckle when people think our fans are any different to others. It's the same the world over in any sport. Certain percentage of sports fans anywhere are pessimistic by nature, just as in life in general

Indeed.

And a minority are nobbers. ??? :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here