Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] iPad Question for a thicko

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs P has a very old iPad (2nd generation I believe) and I want to install the Sky Sports app on it.

However, when trying to down load the app, it says "requires iOS 10.0 or later"

I've checked iPad settings, and it is currently in iOS 9.3.5 but if I click SoftwareUpdate, it just says iOS 9.3.5 Your Software is up to date

How I can force download and install of v 10.0?

Is it maybe because the iPad is too old it can't use v 10.0 ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it hard to believe Ian Pad produced something with built in obsolescence, so I'm sure the answer will be along shortly. :whistle:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mrs

No expert on this but I believe that will be the case. My Ipod has a much earlier version and tells me it is up to date and I have an old iphone that also has quite an old version and tells me that it is up to date.

I think Apple might want you to buy a new Ipad :wink:

I have also noticed that my Iphone SE seems to run it’s battery down quicker after every update

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mrs P has a very old iPad (2nd generation I believe) and I want to install the Sky Sports app on it.

I've checked iPad settings, and it is currently in iOS 9.3.5 but if I click SoftwareUpdate, it just says iOS 9.3.5 Your Software is up to date

Probably the last issue, ITV hub had an app upgrade recently and my 6 year old iPad Mini refused to upgrade so no ITV.

On a positive note it means I cannot watch that **** Piers Morgan.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No expert on this but I believe that will be the case. My Ipod has a much earlier version and tells me it is up to date and I have an old iphone that also has quite an old version and tells me that it is up to date.

I think Apple might want you to buy a new Ipad :wink:

I have also noticed that my Iphone SE seems to run it’s battery down quicker after every update

Probably the last issue, ITV hub had an app upgrade recently and my 6 year old iPad Mini refused to upgrade so no ITV.

On a positive note it means I cannot watch that **** Piers Morgan.

Cheers guys. I thought that might be the case.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

As others have said its because the iPad is too old and not supported to get newer versions of iOS. My Step Mum had the same issue with her iPad, which was a hand me down from me many years ago. She had to go and buy a new one as she was finding more and more apps either were out of date, couldn't be downloaded or stopped working as developers stopped supporting them.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I had the same problem.
Unfortunately you need a newer iPad with a more powerful 'engine'. You will find that a lot of modern apps with video content won't work on the older iPads.

You'll need to buy a new one and donate the older one to someone who just wants to read articles on the internet and use for photos etc.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Your IPads operating memory is not large enough to load the higher specification software,

I assume it's to redeem the Sky free access code if so have you a laptop if so down load app onto that then use the code to watch however today's game is on BT not Sky

If you are trying to down load for another reason onto your iPad then the only option is to trade it in for a new one but give it a couple of years and you will then the same problem sadly it's due to built in obsolescence

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Probably can be done if it's jailbroken, but sounds like you don't want to get into that!
Because newer operating systems have more features, by that I mean take up more memory and cpu power, I've noticed that apple limit what software will go on what hardware. This isn't a bad thing for the smooth and efficient running of the device....until you have to fork out another wad of cash.
Microsoft will allow you-within reason- to put newer software on under powered hardware. This causes systems to hang and run slower.
Linux systems......etc, etc.......too much waffle for a match day!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's called built in obsolescence and the likes of Apple and Android devices pull the same trick.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know very little about smartphones so my advice might not work at all but might be worth a try.

The rare times I need to download a smartphone app despite not having a smartphone, I emulate my browser to pretend to be one. In Chrome it works like this:

(should be called "Tools from programmers" or something similar in English)

adv1.jpg

When you press it it looks like this, and you can choose which phone model you want to emulate
:
adv2.jpg

As said I unfortunately dont know if this works on phones, but I would surprise if it didnt (somehow). If you google "iOS 10.0 emulator on old smartphone" there might be a chance you can download some app or something to "fool" his phone that it is newer than it is, and then possibly downloading the app.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apple Fanboy as I am, I think it's a bit rich to call "built-in obsolescence" on this one.

Firstly, it's down to each app developer to ensure as much, or as little, backwards compatibility as they want in their apps.

Secondly, the iPad 2nd generation is now 9 1/2 years old. In this age of disposable technology, that's a pretty good run.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Apple Fanboy as I am, I think it's a bit rich to call "built-in obsolescence" on this one.

Firstly, it's down to each app developer to ensure as much, or as little, backwards compatibility as they want in their apps.

Secondly, the iPad 2nd generation is now 9 1/2 years old. In this age of disposable technology, that's a pretty good run.

Exactly! I have always found that Apple products go on and on. I usually end up giving my 'old' Apple products to family to help 'justify' getting myself a new one.

My wife was about to buy a new laptop because her 3 year old Windows laptop was giving her so much grief. I gave her my 8 year old MacBook Air - which still looks like new - to try. She absolutely loves it ... the trackpad is still as slick as it ever was etc etc ... and I've bought a shiny new one!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Exactly! I have always found that Apple products go on and on. I usually end up giving my 'old' Apple products to family to help 'justify' getting myself a new one.

My wife was about to buy a new laptop because her 3 year old Windows laptop was giving her so much grief. I gave her my 8 year old MacBook Air - which still looks like new - to try. She absolutely loves it ... the trackpad is still as slick as it ever was etc etc ... and I've bought a shiny new one!

My mid-2010 Macbook Pro still runs like new, it can't take the latest MacOs but does everything I currently need. I never had a Windows device last that long.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

too much bloatware on windows pcs...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just a playful jab - my own built in obsolescence kicked in about 25 years ago.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I assume it's to redeem the Sky free access code if so have you a laptop if so down load app onto that then use the code to watch however today's game is on BT not Sky

If you are trying to down load for another reason onto your iPad then the only option is to trade it in for a new one but give it a couple of years and you will then the same problem sadly it's due to built in obsolescence

Nah, it's no biggy. I have Sky and BT on the main telly, but I was just going to download it to watch non-Brighton matches on iPad so Mrs P could carry on watching her crap without having to hibernate in the bedroom, or I don't have to hibernate in the office to watch footy on pc :lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I find it hard to believe Ian Pad produced something with built in obsolescence, so I'm sure the answer will be along shortly. :whistle:

Will a 10 year old google tablet load current apps?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Secondly, the iPad 2nd generation is now 9 1/2 years old. In this age of disposable technology, that's a pretty good run.[/QUO)

Moore's Law : The number of transistors in an integrated device or chip doubles about every 2 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here