Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Take the Ball, Pass the Ball

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was shown after the City / Liverpool game on Sky Sports and may be repeated on that channel. I managed to record it and watched last night.

A documentary about Pep's time at Barca featuring, among many others, my favourite football writer in the whole world, Sid Lowe. Not one for Madrid fans it has to be said but for anyone else who likes football and particularly coaching it's fascinating.

What I found particularly interesting was the insistance on playing out from the back and the fact that some really top quality players cannot do it and also the bringing through of youth / academy players who had been schooled that way. That's not happening so much at Barca any more and is hurting them but it rang a few local bells......

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
[tweet]1278935624360300544[/tweet]

I wouldn't mind having a hobbit sized autistic Messi playing for us :lol:

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Was shown after the City / Liverpool game on Sky Sports and may be repeated on that channel. I managed to record it and watched last night.

A documentary about Pep's time at Barca featuring, among many others, my favourite football writer in the whole world, Sid Lowe. Not one for Madrid fans it has to be said but for anyone else who likes football and particularly coaching it's fascinating.

What I found particularly interesting was the insistance on playing out from the back and the fact that some really top quality players cannot do it and also the bringing through of youth / academy players who had been schooled that way. That's not happening so much at Barca any more and is hurting them but it rang a few local bells......

Very much this

It was really interesting.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You can play a drinking game when Sid Lowe calls in on Football Weekly - drink every time he says the word “caveat”. Never made it through a whole episode without passing out.

Same with Luke Moore on Football Ramble with the word “ersatz”. You can tell he’s learnt it fairly recently and very keen to drop it in wherever even vaguely applicable.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It was a lot harder to play out from the back before the rule change last summer though. It is the superior way to play, as you generally lose possession 60-70% of the time when you kick it long.

You would have seen it even more from BHAFC, if Ryan didnt prove to be one of the best long passing GK:s in the league. Along with Alison in Liverpool, Ryan is the only keeper who succeeds with over 50% of the long passes (50,8% to be exact).

Strategy clearly remains in general though despite Potter allowing Ryan to kick it long a bit more than early in the season.

Shortest average length goal kicks in PL:

Less than 40 yards: 5 teams (from shortest to longest):
1. Manchester United (34,4 yards)
2. Manchester City
3. Brighton
4. Liverpool
5. Chelsea

More than 60 yards, 7 teams (from shortest to longest):
1. Southampton
2. Crystal Palace
3. Newcastle
4. West Ham
5. Watford
6. Burnley
7. Sheffield United (75,9 yards)

Or to summarize: teams with ambitions & modern managers play it short, teams without ambition & with Jurassic Park managers play it long.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or to summarize: teams with ambitions & modern managers play it short, teams without ambition & with Jurassic Park managers play it long.

Brilliant. Top work Swannie :thumbsup:

I can see it now, short kick by Maty, incerception by Pookie, one nil Naarwitch. :facepalm:

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here