Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Diazepam for Flying

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That's the annoying thing - her previous doctor DID prescribe it on the NHS. Apparently it comes down to the doctors opinion - no proper rules and regs around it. Her new ( soon to be old ) doctor just doesn't agree with it.

Have never used Diazeoam for flying but can see why others would. A very good relaxant once on the plane is a hefty dose of Night Nurse and two or three wines, makes long haul flights much more comfortable.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the girls in our office had used diazepam when she was in the UK for flying. She said doctors in the States were very reluctant to prescribe it, her doctor did give her 4 low dose tablets. When she collected them from the pharmacy she was also given a 4 page print out saying it was s controlled substance and a load of scary warnings. In the end she settled for a few G&T's.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cannabis oil? LSD is pretty good for flying as well....someone who isn’t me told me.

With LSD you can fly without leaving home.

Not quite the point, but so it goes :shrug:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Depends on how far you are flying - Diazepam can last a long time in the body and avoid booze as she can be away with the fairies for some time.

Also when is the flight - if an overnight is go with something like melatonin which you can buy over the counter and helps jet lag. For another snooze agent get something with diphenhydramine like Sleepeaze in boots.

Hypnosis is also good if you’ve got time to get sessions in before you go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
May be worth trying Melatonin as an alternative. I use it for flying and overcoming jetlag and find it incredibly helpful, particularly with the latter - helps induce a drowsy state without wiping me out, and with no ill-effects on waking up. Basically just helps induce sleep in a very gentle way. Various strengths available, I tend to find the 10mg (high strength) tablets effective without being dramatic

FWIW I have a load of colleagues that do the same (in ‘normal’ times we’re often shuttling between the UK and Hong Kong so comparing notes on how to manage sleep patterns).

You should easily be able to find a supply online however I think it’s another supplement whilst freely available OTC outside of the UK (I get mine in the US normally) it’s technically prescription only.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A lot of doctors are starting to become quite reluctant to let patients carry on with their normal dose. Lockdown was either very stressful or relaxing for regular diazepam users. Whether GP's are now using the line of "well, things are starting to get back to normal now, so........."

Diazepam is powerfully addictive. More so than heroin as users can flush that crap out of their body after a week even if they suffer flu like symptoms. Valium can take months to get off, even out of the system and the withdrawal can be hell - making even the most mild-mannered people into paranoid, nervous wrecks.

Having said all that, using it for a couple of times at low doses for stressful flights should not be a problem convincing doctors. But they read the horror stories or effects on the internet so it becomes complex.

Best of luck to the OP. Hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My missus used it for years when flying, and still has no problem getting it from the GP before a trip if she needs it.

One thing that really did help her though was having some hypnotherapy sessions. She now only takes the diazepam with her "just in case" - but the last few trips we've been on she hasn't needed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here