Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Diazepam for Flying

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Long story short - Mrs W has a very deep seated fear of flying. She spent 10 years not flying but two years ago her doctor prescribed Diazepam and it's worked wonders. Unfortunately she was forced to move from her old surgery ( in Shoreham ) to Benfield Health Hub in Hangleton. She's just tried to get some Diazepam for some flights we have booked later this year and the arse of a doctor said "he doesn't prescribe it as he thinks it's irresponsible". Bang go those trips !!!

I have a complaint in with the Practice Manager but some questions :

1. Does anyone on here use Diazepam to fly ?

2. Does anyone on here get it prescribed by their doctor for flying and have a doctor in the BN3 area - if so which practice ?

3. Anyone know a doctor that will prescribe it privately ?

*** Please ensure this is a Covid-19 free thread ! ***

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You may know this - but NHS won't prescribe it. You need to get it privately like you say on point 3

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
My mums doctor used to prescribe her a couple for flights, but last time she went which was a few years ago she was denied them because doctors said he had received guidance to say that prescribing them for flights shouldn’t be encouraged as if there is an emergency it could cause you to not be responsive enough and could be dangerous, she now just has a wine or 7 before the flight.

Probably depends on the doctor though, my experience with doctors is nowadays they are much more reluctant to hand out pills.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Long story short - Mrs W has a very deep seated fear of flying. She spent 10 years not flying but two years ago her doctor prescribed Diazepam and it's worked wonders. Unfortunately she was forced to move from her old surgery ( in Shoreham ) to Benfield Health Hub in Hangleton. She's just tried to get some Diazepam for some flights we have booked later this year and the arse of a doctor said "he doesn't prescribe it as he thinks it's irresponsible". Bang go those trips !!!

2. Does anyone on here get it prescribed by their doctor for flying and have a doctor in the BN3 area - if so which practice ?

1. Yes
2. Yes, sorry no.
3. no.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You may know this - but NHS won't prescribe it. You need to get it privately like you say on point 3

That's the annoying thing - her previous doctor DID prescribe it on the NHS. Apparently it comes down to the doctors opinion - no proper rules and regs around it. Her new ( soon to be old ) doctor just doesn't agree with it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cant help you with the local stuff obviously but in a worse case scenario where you cant get hold of it, maybe you could ask the doctor for something he would likely be a bit more lenient about prescribing, like Atarax?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Google ‘CBD Oil for Flying’ and see what you think. A trip down to Holland & Barrett would get you that. It also might have a placebo affect thar could help your wife, above and beyond its apparent anti-anxiety benefits (obvs don’t mention that last bit to her though) :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My Mrs gets it from the GP for flying. Last time was a year ago so don't know if they've changed the guidance since then.

This is entirely unhelpful obviously as we're not in Brighton, sorry.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Link removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Buying unprescribed drugs over Whatsapp ? Nice

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the annoying thing - her previous doctor DID prescribe it on the NHS. Apparently it comes down to the doctors opinion - no proper rules and regs around it. Her new ( soon to be old ) doctor just doesn't agree with it.

Yes that's very poor. Like a doctor seen about a termination who went on and on about adoption because their religion led them to oppose abortion....capitulated in the end but only after a great deal of excruciating argument, so I was told.

My advice would be to insist that it is legal and necessary and she needs it. Denying the meds is malpractice. **** me, if you 'thkweem and thkweem antil you're thick' the ****ers will prescribe antibiotics for the common cold.

Best of luck with it.

edit: just fund this....https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowT...pam_Valium_for_fear_of_flying-Air_Travel.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here