Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Space capsule or deep sea submersible

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which will scare the shite out of you most?

Last night was looking around I-Player and landed on an Attenborough 'Giants of the Antarctic Deep', BBC4.

Much to my surprise I was finding myself quite anxious as the scientists bundled into a tiny capsule and plunging down 1000m into the Antarctic ocean

I came to the conclusion I would need less changes of underwear bobbing around in space and wouldn't be screaming quite so loudly as I would in the Antarctic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jy3h

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hmm. Both seem like a twelve change of underwear trip but on balance I’d be more scared in the deep.

Catastrophic failure in space would be a relatively instantaneous death as the temperature and vacuum of space do you over in seconds.

Catastrophic failure at depth could leave you half dead in an air pocket with the rest of you crushed to oblivion OR you burst out into the water and then drown as long as you can hold your breath.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
While both sounds horrible, I would prefer going to space. If something bad would happen you'd be dead pretty quick and though life under water seems pretty cool, going to space would probably even more of a "holy shit" experience.

Crazy to imagine the first submarines were built several hundred years ago, but in general it seems people was a bit less interested in survival back in the days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBN3xfGrx_U

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Submarine, I've been on one of those tourist ones in Gran Canaria and I was OK with that but to be properly deep would freak me right out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You also have to factor in how you get there. Sure floating in space might seem nicer (it's a wide open space as opposed to a gajillion* gallons of water trying to crush you), but to get out on the ocean you just hop on a boat and cruise out there. To get into space you sit on an explodable container of jet fuel and put your body through somewhere in the region of 2852109581329487230* Gs of force to get off the planet.

(*numbers an estimate)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You also have to factor in how you get there. Sure floating in space might seem nicer (it's a wide open space as opposed to a gajillion* gallons of water trying to crush you), but to get out on the ocean you just hop on a boat and cruise out there. To get into space you sit on an explodable container of jet fuel and put your body through somewhere in the region of 2852109581329487230* Gs of force to get off the planet.

(*numbers an estimate)

2852109581329487231 Gs, for me, I'm carrying a bit of lockdown 'timber'.

I've think 20,000 leagues under the sea has affected me.
I considered I might be scared of being eaten my something mahoooosive.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think they'd both have an element of excitement . . . . And a high score on the 'shart scale'

Submarining has been a thing for a long time so must be well engineered and pretty safe, its also relatively easy to calculate the pressures involved and make things that are reliable and safe.

Danger factor 3/10 . . . . . What lurks in the dark that might loosen ones undercarriage is pretty high on the 'I want my Mummy!!!' Scale however probably a 9.9 if you saw one of those glow in the dark fish monsters

With spacey stuff the launch and flight are going to be so exciting the element of fear will pretty much dissapear . . . . But once in orbit, I'd imagine you'd start hearing noises, getting the fear and freaking out. And thats before you consider attempting to come home and not incinerating in the process.

I think down is less scary than up.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Would love space - out of gravity's control. Roller coaster launch etc. Views of the cosmos...... OR Sitting in the deep, tightening valves to stop water coming in (always wondered why they were never tight in the first place?) waiting for some monster to lurch out of the dark at you. Is there really even a choice?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Neither. Having been to the bottom of the sea when diving and upstairs on a bus I've seen both sides of the coin already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here