Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Magnificent TV

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Defund the BBC.

No, actually don't to that. That's a terrible idea.

Jul 7, 2003
...and also worth reading Neil's book which has more stories than they could fit into the film.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Never watched it before tonight (although had heard it was good), was a really wonderful film.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Was a great watch

Still think the Beeb offers great all round value, if public service broadcasting is allowed to go the way of the US, Canada or even Australia Britain will be weaker for it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One of the best films I’ve watched. Handled really well. Cutting in the real life figures during the film is a great idea.

Turns me into a puddle every time.

I've seen it before, but still laugh at the funny bits and have tears running down my face at the sad bits. A lovely, well-made film.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really enjoyed watching that again a film that lifts your spirits, everyone plays a leading role in this remarkable story of a caring community all supporting each other to their own ability

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watched again for the 3rd or 4th time - beautiful

Watched with the teenaged Jnrs, first time for Lil Miss Stat, who also loved it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Thank you. We watched after reading your OP and loved it. Particularly enjoyed the scene where Neil wound up the flash young player with the flash underpants, also when he gave the team talk in the style of Brian Clough and Macari thought he was being impersonated. Lou Macari did a wonderful thing when he gave Neil a job.
I’m only surprised I hadn’t come across the story before as it seems a unique one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you. We watched after reading your OP and loved it. Particularly enjoyed the scene where Neil wound up the flash young player with the flash underpants, also when he gave the team talk in the style of Brian Clough and Macari thought he was being impersonated. Lou Macari did a wonderful thing when he gave Neil a job.
I’m only surprised I hadn’t come across the story before as it seems a unique one.

"When did Keele offer you a job?"
"Tomorrow".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The book is only available via Kindle, but I downloaded it yesterday. As has been previously posted, there is a lot more of his life story.

His BAFTA speech on Youtube is great.

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Saw this again the other night, nice to see its still well recieved.

I went to Keele and first met him outside the student union. He immediately tried to recruit me to Neil Baldwin's AFC. I had no idea who he was or why he was there, and I didnt take up his offer.

I ended up joining through friends a year later, most of us joined at the same time.

We heard the fanciful stories of famous friends, which we immediately disregarded. But every once in a while, he would show us a letter or a photo to prove it. Gordon Banks? 'A very nice man'. Kevin Keegan? 'A very nice man'. The more the myths about his life were confirmed, the more the mystery grew!

Neil was brilliant to be around. We'd train once or twice a week and Neil would always hang around, clinging onto a shopping bag. He'd yell shouts of disbelief at a missed shot or would just single someone out indiscriminately. 'Oi! What did you do that for? Youre rubbish!'. We'd find it hilarious - no one wanted to be singled out. But once he got the first laugh, that was it, green light for an hour of a non stop barrage of criticism - he would keep yelling until we left to get changed and go to the pub.

I remember one game when my back four were hopelessly hungover. I made a double save during a 2 on 1, before the 3rd attempt went past me and in when i was sprawled on the ground. Id let him down. Neil was furious. Neil roared 'oi, Eddy, NO MORE! NO MORE!'. And he didnt stop for the rest of the game. At half time he wouldnt look me in the eye! 12 years on and it still gets yelled at me when I catch up with former team mates who played that day.

I always loved the bemused look of our opponents if they didnt know us or him when Neil got vocal. I dont think we ever bothered to explain beyond 'oh, thats Neil'. We once played away against a Cambridge University team. We went out drinking with them and Neil sat in the corner occasionally badgering one of us for a drink or some chips. By the time it was time for us to move to the next bar he had made friends with everyone in there.

He'd sit in the lesiure centre at Keele and make stencils of all the games. Im pretty sure he would give us a rating out of 10, like they do in newspaper match reports. I remember he let me flick through his old stencils, and he showed me a rejection letter from from the FA for the England job. It was a brilliant reply. Im sure he still applies every time the job comes up, using statistics hand picked from his stenciled record to push his case. I understood then how much it meant to him every time I let a goal in, or when we won!

Id usually wear a Brighton top at training, and Neil would usually say good things about us. So for that reason, if you havent seen it yet, maybe give it a watch!

I've tried to attach a couple of photos, one of my debut (an outfield performance so bad I ended up becoming the keeper!) and one after a training session - looking back I'm struck by how happy we all were. Marvellous!
188735_4610628270_7868_n.jpg1929532_507615779478_3543_n.jpg

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Saw this again the other night, nice to see its still well recieved.

I went to Keele and first met him outside the student union. He immediately tried to recruit me to Neil Baldwin's AFC. I had no idea who he was or why he was there, and I didnt take up his offer.

I ended up joining through friends a year later, most of us joined at the same time.

We heard the fanciful stories of famous friends, which we immediately disregarded. But every once in a while, he would show us a letter or a photo to prove it. Gordon Banks? 'A very nice man'. Kevin Keegan? 'A very nice man'. The more the myths about his life were confirmed, the more the mystery grew!

Neil was brilliant to be around. We'd train once or twice a week and Neil would always hang around, clinging onto a shopping bag. He'd yell shouts of disbelief at a missed shot or would just single someone out indiscriminately. 'Oi! What did you do that for? Youre rubbish!'. We'd find it hilarious - no one wanted to be singled out. But once he got the first laugh, that was it, green light for an hour of a non stop barrage of criticism - he would keep yelling until we left to get changed and go to the pub.

I remember one game when my back four were hopelessly hungover. I made a double save during a 2 on 1, before the 3rd attempt went past me and in when i was sprawled on the ground. Id let him down. Neil was furious. Neil roared 'oi, Eddy, NO MORE! NO MORE!'. And he didnt stop for the rest of the game. At half time he wouldnt look me in the eye! 12 years on and it still gets yelled at me when I catch up with former team mates who played that day.

I always loved the bemused look of our opponents if they didnt know us or him when Neil got vocal. I dont think we ever bothered to explain beyond 'oh, thats Neil'. We once played away against a Cambridge University team. We went out drinking with them and Neil sat in the corner occasionally badgering one of us for a drink or some chips. By the time it was time for us to move to the next bar he had made friends with everyone in there.

He'd sit in the lesiure centre at Keele and make stencils of all the games. Im pretty sure he would give us a rating out of 10, like they do in newspaper match reports. I remember he let me flick through his old stencils, and he showed me a rejection letter from from the FA for the England job. It was a brilliant reply. Im sure he still applies every time the job comes up, using statistics hand picked from his stenciled record to push his case. I understood then how much it meant to him every time I let a goal in, or when we won!

Id usually wear a Brighton top at training, and Neil would usually say good things about us. So for that reason, if you havent seen it yet, maybe give it a watch!

I've tried to attach a couple of photos, one of my debut (an outfield performance so bad I ended up becoming the keeper!) and one after a training session - looking back I'm struck by how happy we all were. Marvellous!
View attachment 125677View attachment 125678

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

What a brilliant post!

Probably one of favourite ever on here. Thanks for sharing all that.

NSC never ceases to amaze me in it's breadth and depth of reach. Who could have imagined that we would have someone who actually played for Neil Baldwin's AFC amongst our number?

:bowdown: :goal:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here