Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hong Kong

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it is clear you have never been to HK, their economy is not based on skilled labourers but very highly skilled and bloody hard working professionals. If it does happen I would guess they would soon spread out across the Democratic West where they would be welcome due to their skills, settle in and start making money for themselves and their new Countries.

Agree 100% - typical HK-er in my experience is highly educated, highly professionally qualified (it's rare for us to hire anyone in HK without an MSc) and works far harder, with high degree of diligence than comparable colleagues in many other locations (including the UK and US). Most of the 'skilled labourers' in HK are immigrants to HK. Many HK professionals coming into the UK (whatever the % is) will provide serious competition for jobs - particularly in sectors like finance, banking tech etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Agree 100% - typical HK-er in my experience is highly educated, highly professionally qualified (it's rare for us to hire anyone in HK without an MSc) and works far harder, with high degree of diligence than comparable colleagues in many other locations (including the UK and US). Most of the 'skilled labourers' in HK are immigrants to HK. Many HK professionals coming into the UK (whatever the % is) will provide serious competition for jobs - particularly in sectors like finance, banking tech etc.

Yes yes yes. But can they make a Yorkshire pudding and do they put brown sauce, red sauce or no sauce on a bacon sarny? The last question filtered out German spies in the war...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Interesting to hear from someone who's there - however your opinion is certainly not the same as my (Hongkonger) friends.

More news coming out from there today.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53275405

You have to be a little open minded with the news you read from the west, including BBC because it's extremely biased. The same can be said for Chinese state media, so unless you live in China, it's difficult to have a balanced view and find a middle ground. When I look at BBC news I keep hearing about some kind of concentration camps in Xinjiang. The reality is very different from what most people are fed by Trump and Johnson.

You are right in some aspects, the Hong Kongers are amongst the most intelligent in the world, fantastic people who would integrate easily into the 'western culture' that exists in the UK. I just can't see the British loving this demographic coming in and taking 'their' jobs which are of course at a premium.

Either way, despite what Raab/Johnson promote, very few local Hongkies will move to UK in the short term given that UK has worlds highest coved death rate. In the Chinese culture money and health is king, of which UK has neither.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
That would mean shutting down huge chunks of the mobile network and would be hugely expensive to replace. Probably not the wisest course of action during a partial lockdown
You could also ask the Chinese to stop modernising the British railway system, and introducing a high speed rail network to UK. Or what about the nuclear power stations they are building?

The reality is, the Chinese have some of the most sophisticated technology in the world, and like the middle east, Trump/Johnson can't accept that the US/UK are not as important as they think they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here