[Albion] Brighton v Man U player ratings

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Chastening stuff

Ryan - 5 - No fault for any of the goals

Montoya - 4 - His winger had the measure of him
Burn - 5 - Left exposed by his colleagues on the counter for their brilliant third. Interesting to see him stay at CB after Bernardo came on
Dunk - 6 - Reliable, but couldn't get us playing
Duffy - 4 - Gave possession away once or twice, barely had any chance to play to his strengths against a team who play it on the floor. His big moment of the match was the header he lost to Maguire to set up their third

Lamptey - 4 - Couldn't get in the game. He'll learn from this.
Stephens - 2 - Daydreamed for their crucial opener. Been a fabulous servant, but he can't take us any further now
Propper - 3 - Lazy play for their second. Loose in possession. Offered nothing going forward. His worst performance of the season
Bissouma - 6 - MOM - Energy, vision and commitment. His good form since restart continues

MacAllister - 4 - Hard to judge him on this tough run of games, but he has shown only flashes. Corners not good enough
Connolly - 4 - Willing runner, but couldn't hold the poor outballs he received and didn't take his two half chances

Trossard - 6 - At least he threatened. Maybe he's our supersub
Maupay - 4 - He's no good playing wide and deep. He needs to be right up there.
Mooy - n/a
Bernardo - n/a - Good to see him back
March - n/a

Potter - 3 - Tried to be a bit clever today. Let down by some poor individual performances.
Officials - 2 - The usual performance in a Man U type team against a Brighton type team. Shamelessly biased.

To beat Man U, you need them to play badly, us to play well, and the fine margins to go our way. 0/3

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Officials 2? The ball may have gone out of play before their second goal but apart from that not seen anything wrong from the officials tonight. Blaming them for what Jamie Redknapp calls a “really poor Brighton performance” isn’t the answer.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Chastening stuff

Ryan - 5 - No fault for any of the goals

Montoya - 4 - His winger had the measure of him
Burn - 5 - Left exposed by his colleagues on the counter for their brilliant third. Interesting to see him stay at CB after Bernardo came on
Dunk - 6 - Reliable, but couldn't get us playing
Duffy - 4 - Gave possession away once or twice, barely had any chance to play to his strengths against a team who play it on the floor. His big moment of the match was the header he lost to Maguire to set up their third

Lamptey - 4 - Couldn't get in the game. He'll learn from this.
Stephens - 2 - Daydreamed for their crucial opener. Been a fabulous servant, but he can't take us any further now
Propper - 3 - Lazy play for their second. Loose in possession. Offered nothing going forward. His worst performance of the season
Bissouma - 6 - MOM - Energy, vision and commitment. His good form since restart continues

MacAllister - 4 - Hard to judge him on this tough run of games, but he has shown only flashes. Corners not good enough
Connolly - 4 - Willing runner, but couldn't hold the poor outballs he received and didn't take his two half chances

Trossard - 6 - At least he threatened. Maybe he's our supersub
Maupay - 4 - He's no good playing wide and deep. He needs to be right up there.
Mooy - n/a
Bernardo - n/a - Good to see him back
March - n/a

Potter - 3 - Tried to be a bit clever today. Let down by some poor individual performances.
Officials - 2 - The usual performance in a Man U type team against a Brighton type team. Shamelessly biased.

To beat Man U, you need them to play badly, us to play well, and the fine margins to go our way. 0/3

Not far off here, bad day at the office for most bar Bissouma and Trossard really.

Stephens as bad as Propper and Mac, all very ineffective.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Ryan 5 - at fault for the first
Montoya 5 - struggled
Burn 5 - can’t cope with movement
Duffy 5 - see Duffy
Dunk 6
Propper 4 - awful first half, with the others
Stephens 5
Bissouma 7
Lamptey 6
MacAllister 5
Connolly 5

Trossard 6.5
Maupay 5
Mooy n/a
Bernardo n/a
March n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I could launch into a few of them but I'm gonna lay off as the manager left them pretty high and dry this evening playing a ridiculous formation against a Man Utd team that's flying at the moment.

I'm hoping it'll pay off with getting three points against Norwich.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
6 - average

Ryan 5 - at fault for the first
Montoya 5 - struggled
Burn 5 - can’t cope with movement
Duffy 5 - see Duffy
Dunk 6
Propper 4 - awful first half, with the others
Stephens 5
Bissouma 7
Lamptey 6
MacAllister 5
Connolly 5

Trossard 6.5
Maupay 5
Mooy n/a
Bernardo n/a
March n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah think this is about right

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ryan 4.5
Montoya 5
Burn 6.5
Dunk 6
Duffy 6
Stephens 5
Propper 5
Bissouma 6.5
MacAllister 5
Lamptey 6
Connolly 5.5

Maupay 6
Trossard 7 MOTM
Mooy 6
Bernardo 6
March 5

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Ryan 6 - ok, oddly enough hardly made a save.
Montoya 5 - struggled.
Dunk 6 - not his best but no booking, looks at home at this level.
Duffy 4 - kills the way we want to play, so uncomfortable on the ball and too easy to press into mistakes. I’d thank him and sell him this window.
Burn 5 - worst performance of the season. Bernardo needs to fight him for the LB slot.
Propper 3 - shocking, easily his worst 45 minutes in our shirt.
Stephens 4 - hopefully next season is our 4th in this division, we cannot still have Dale as a first choice CM if we want to see a 5th.
Lampty 5 - really tough on him, had just put in a 8 debut performance and then gets played out of position.
Bissouma 7 - MOM yet again. Didn’t look out of his depth against some world class midfielders, our midfield needs to be built around him.
MacAllister 5 - improved after HT once he had more options.
Connolly 6 - worked hard first half, looked dangerous once he had a partner.

Maupay 6 - caused them problems, we look a different team with and without him.
Trossard 7 - very good when he came on.
Mooy 5 - didn’t do much
Bernado 5 - glad he’s back
March an

Potter 3 - this is becoming a worry, that was such a strange starting 11 and system, he changed it 2nd half and we immediately improved but the game was gone by then. Needs to be far more positive, we showed them far too much respect 1st half.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Difficult game, fair loss. Potter's starting tactic proved suboptimal and individually you could expect more from plenty of players. That said, it was a really difficult game and the major difference between the teams were neither tactics or underperforming individuals, but raw class - they could very well be the best side in the league at the moment.

Ryan - 4
While I dont think he made mistakes on any of the goals, he would probably have saved one or two of the goals on his best day. A four rating feels a bit harsh but he really didnt do any complicated saves and his distribution was less accurate than it usually is.

Montoya - 4

Manchester abused him in November and did it again today. Poor with the ball, poor without it. A bit better in second half.

Duffy - 6

Average performance, did win some duels but his weaknesses were obvious as well. His performance sort of highlighted how much Webster has grown from the beginning of the season, as we really missed him both defensively and his skills on the ball.

Dunk - 6
Oddly enough didnt have that much to do as United primarly attacked on the wings and rather than cross it went for cutbacks. No particular mistakes but no real heroics either.

Burn - 5
One of his worst games despite Potter deciding to lend him Bissouma as an assistant for the first 30 minutes. Lots of poor passes and questionable defensive actions, yet I have to say that he was not completely ripped apart like Montoya on the right side in first half.

Lamptey 5
His role today was to counter-attack and help out Montoya in defense. About the counter-attacking I cant say much - the passes from midfield and defense was just too poor, and defensively he didnt have much success but played in a difficult and unusual role. That said, I'm not 100% opposed to him as a midfielder/winger - I think it could work out, but didnt today.

Pröpper 4

Started well the first 10-15 but then became perhaps the biggest offender in giving away the ball too easily. Unfortunately I still dont see the fantastic, high-quality playmaker a lot of people think he is, even though he is clearly allround and good enough to start in this team.

Stephens 5
Poor first half were he was always too slow and poor on the ball but really grew in the second half and showed its too early to count him out.

Bissouma 8
Did okay in helping Burn until Potter placed him centrally, which is when he turned into the monster we've seen over and over again the last six months. Earlier today I wrote that Maupay is the best player on the team, but this man is certainly challenging for it - he is very rapidly turning into a key player which I would never have imagined while watching him against Sheffield W in the FA Cup in the beginning of the year.

Macallister 5
Did alright but could have done a lot more in some situations, especially in first half. Worked hard and will turn into a fine player.

Connolly 6
Did what he could in first half, meaning usually not much as it was him against three or four United players all the time. Looking sharper together with Maupay. Tough game, decent performance.
Subs:

Trossard 7
Close to 8, looked really lively and could with a bit of luck and skill bagged a hattrick. As usual I feel he is about three times better when he comes on as a sub rather than starting.

Maupay 6
Didnt do much himself but his movement on the pitch makes all of the team so much stronger. Would have preferred if he rested a full 90 but Potter isnt as defeatish as I am.

Mooy, Bernardo, March N/A, but it was nice to see Bernardo back.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Difficult game, fair loss. Potter's starting tactic proved suboptimal and individually you could expect more from plenty of players. That said, it was a really difficult game and the major difference between the teams were neither tactics or underperforming individuals, but raw class - they could very well be the best side in the league at the moment.

Ryan - 4
While I dont think he made mistakes on any of the goals, he would probably have saved one or two of the goals on his best day. A four rating feels a bit harsh but he really didnt do any complicated saves and his distribution was less accurate than it usually is.

Montoya - 4

Manchester abused him in November and did it again today. Poor with the ball, poor without it. A bit better in second half.

Duffy - 6

Average performance, did win some duels but his weaknesses were obvious as well. His performance sort of highlighted how much Webster has grown from the beginning of the season, as we really missed him both defensively and his skills on the ball.

Dunk - 6
Oddly enough didnt have that much to do as United primarly attacked on the wings and rather than cross it went for cutbacks. No particular mistakes but no real heroics either.

Burn - 5
One of his worst games despite Potter deciding to lend him Bissouma as an assistant for the first 30 minutes. Lots of poor passes and questionable defensive actions, yet I have to say that he was not completely ripped apart like Montoya on the right side in first half.

Lamptey 5
His role today was to counter-attack and help out Montoya in defense. About the counter-attacking I cant say much - the passes from midfield and defense was just too poor, and defensively he didnt have much success but played in a difficult and unusual role. That said, I'm not 100% opposed to him as a midfielder/winger - I think it could work out, but didnt today.

Pröpper 4

Started well the first 10-15 but then became perhaps the biggest offender in giving away the ball too easily. Unfortunately I still dont see the fantastic, high-quality playmaker a lot of people think he is, even though he is clearly allround and good enough to start in this team.

Stephens 5
Poor first half were he was always too slow and poor on the ball but really grew in the second half and showed its too early to count him out.

Bissouma 8
Did okay in helping Burn until Potter placed him centrally, which is when he turned into the monster we've seen over and over again the last six months. Earlier today I wrote that Maupay is the best player on the team, but this man is certainly challenging for it - he is very rapidly turning into a key player which I would never have imagined while watching him against Sheffield W in the FA Cup in the beginning of the year.

Macallister 5
Did alright but could have done a lot more in some situations, especially in first half. Worked hard and will turn into a fine player.

Connolly 6
Did what he could in first half, meaning usually not much as it was him against three or four United players all the time. Looking sharper together with Maupay. Tough game, decent performance.
Subs:

Trossard 7
Close to 8, looked really lively and could with a bit of luck and skill bagged a hattrick. As usual I feel he is about three times better when he comes on as a sub rather than starting.

Maupay 6
Didnt do much himself but his movement on the pitch makes all of the team so much stronger. Would have preferred if he rested a full 90 but Potter isnt as defeatish as I am.

Very good analysis.
Agree with all this.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Also agree largely with Swansman but Biss was 7 max.

Worst performance by far was from GP whose funky random team selections continue to bemuse.

The Lamptey/ Montoya combo seemed to make no sense before the game and my fears were proven correct

Let’s hope he sets up properly against Norwich. Our season may depend on this.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Officials 2? The ball may have gone out of play before their second goal but apart from that not seen anything wrong from the officials tonight. Blaming them for what Jamie Redknapp calls a “really poor Brighton performance” isn’t the answer.

United were head, shoulders and torso above us last night, no arguments there, but there’s a huge difference going in at half-time 1 goal down than 2 down. In the world of VAR, where having a toenail offside means a goal can be ruled out, that second goal was an absolute disgrace. It doesn’t excuse the woeful performance, but if that gets correctly ruled out, maybe it’s a different game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ryan - 4

Montoya - 4

Duffy - 6

Dunk - 6

Burn - 5

Lamptey 5

Pröpper 4

Stephens 5

Bissouma 8

Macallister 5

Connolly 6
Subs:

Trossard 7

Maupay 6

This is an excellent, accurate and well written analysis.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Man U were quicker in thought and speed than our players in every position, none of our team based upon their own abilities played that poorly.
Second half much improved but by then the game was over and Man U had taken their effort levels down several notches.
Onwards and upwards Norwich next a must not loose game

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is an excellent, accurate and well written analysis.

... and this is somewhat different:

Ryan 5 -- unlucky with the goals, I wouldn't blame him for any of them
Montoya 4.5
Duffy 4.5 -- neither of these two exactly made a case for starting regularly
Dunk 6
Burn 4.5 -- can't fault his effort, but Bernardo please
Stephens 4 -- too slow, the first goal indicated that he doesn't know what goalside means, relatively tidy in possession though
Propper 3 -- I'm a fan, but that was a dreadful 45 minutes of football. Dozy on the right of defence twice to let opponents run past him, awful distribution, although one good cross
Bissouma 7 MotM again
Lamptey 5 -- tried his hardest, good strength and speed, but feeding off scraps
Mac Allister 5 -- he had few opportunities to show what he can do
Connolly 5.5 -- harried, hustled and never stopped running, another good effort

Trossard 7 -- got on the ball a lot in the final third (something he hasn't done much of in 2020), and showed his inventiveness
Maupay 6
Mooy, March, Bernardo n/a

We were beaten by the better team, who are beginning to look the part, we did help them, but sometimes you just have to concede that we were well beaten rather than we lost.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan 5

Montoya 4
Duffy 4
Dunk 6
Burn 6

Bissouma 6
Stephens 4
Propper 4
Lamptey 5