:nono:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Managed 4 wins in 23 games, not very good

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Appalling record, not liked by the U's fans and alleged not to have made any contact with any of the players to check on their welfare during lockdown.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Obviously nothing to do with the colour of his skin then.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I sense a bear pit thread. Clearly the correct decision though, Southend fans seem to think he’s tactically useless despite the fact their squad isn’t all that bad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, and let's hope it stays that way. If idiots turn it into a racism shit-storm, far from progressing towards equality they will potentially actually hinder the progress of future black managers - chairmen may start being put off employing a black manage for fear of being labelled a racist when the time comes (as it almost inevitably will) to sack them. Like we were by some idiots when we sacked CH.

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
Look at the squad he had to use, league position when he took over, money to bring in new players etc. Not sure anyone could have done better. I am sure there will be a queue for this position which is a poison chalice.
Predict a struggle again next season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I sense a bear pit thread. Clearly the correct decision though, Southend fans seem to think he’s tactically useless despite the fact their squad isn’t all that bad.

Why? Manager who hasn't done well leaves club at the end of their season. His race is utterly irrelevant. Why play the Bear Pit card before someone plays the race card (and that someone can just be thread banned)?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Managed 4 wins in 23 games, not very good

That is a awful win ratio. Sacking him was the right decision and if he or others moan why he has not been given a chance to manage at a higher level because of his skin colour then they should think again. If he had 14 wins in 23 games then I am sure the opportunity to manage at a higher level would have been made available to him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Nope, but very important to bring up - imagine a black man doing something or not doing something, succeeding or failing, and then not discuss the colour of his skin. That would be a crazy world to live in. What would we talk about if that wasnt the case? His personality? His competence as a manager? His results compared to the quality of the Southend squad? Too weird. Too complicated. Another 25 pages of debates surrounding the colour of his skin is clearly the civilised way to go about it.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Appointed after Potter. Doesn't impact on his place in the list of length of service.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is a awful win ratio. Sacking him was the right decision and if he or others moan why he has not been given a chance to manage at a higher level because of his skin colour then they should think again. If he had 14 wins in 23 games then I am sure the opportunity to manage at a higher level would have been made available to him.

You are the second person to say 'if' that....

But nobody has said it (on this thread, up to your post, anyway).

I think this is yet another crodo fishing thread, and he's getting bites already. I'm out. :shrug:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why? Manager who hasn't done well leaves club at the end of their season. His race is utterly irrelevant. Why play the Bear Pit card before someone plays the race card (and that someone can just be thread banned)?

He’s been a very prominent voice of the lack of BAME coaches and normally on NSC it’s only a matter of time before someone sticks the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak :lolol:

But yes, as you say unfortunately for Sol, things have gone really badly at Southend. Tough break, wonder where his next job will be, maybe a more high profile job given the publicity around lack of minority managers and coaches being more prominent now?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Because there are a bunch of racists on this board who are still allowed to post and will turn up at some point.
:facepalm: Throwing around the term racist is not acceptable IMO, and if you’ve reported those you believe to be racist and they haven’t been banned then the moderators have obviously evaluated that they are not racist as I’m sure racism is not tolerated on here.

This wasn’t why I was saying it might end up in the bear pit, just to clarify. They’ve split terms by mutual consent apparently so it clearly was felt it wasn’t working from both sides, which is fair enough.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But yes, as you say unfortunately for Sol, things have gone really badly at Southend. Tough break, wonder where his next job will be, maybe a more high profile job given the publicity around lack of minority managers and coaches being more prominent now?

The Twitter world thinks he's going to Barrow once Evatt has gone to Bolton (I'm not sure Bolton is much a step up TBH).

I think Campbell is worst enemy as he's not as good as he thinks he is. On the other hand, he did a very good job at Macclesfield (they looked relegation certs when he took over) and didn't have much to work on at Southend so I also think that he's better than a lot of his detractors give him credit for.

Jul 7, 2003
One of the arguments going around the other week was around why certain former international players were not getting the opportunities. I fear Campbell may be another Ince - did a good job at Macc but failed elsewhere.

This is nothing to do with race - just because you were a good player (and few would deny that either Campbell or Ince were not good players) does not mean you will make a good manager. Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore are two of England's greatest players but both failed miserably in management.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here