Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool's underwhelming squad

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I came across this article on the BBC's website and selected a combined team of Man City's record breaking squad and this season's champions Liverpool.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53198040

My conclusion is Man City's side is far better and Liverpool have drastically outperformed this season. Am I correct in this conclusion or has the lockdown sent me a little stir crazy

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I came across this article on the BBC's website and selected a combined team of Man City's record breaking squad and this season's champions Liverpool.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53198040

My conclusion is Man City's side is far better and Liverpool have drastically outperformed this season. Am I correct in this conclusion or has the lockdown sent me a little stir crazy

No, and yes.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Liverpool's midfield looks ridiculously weak, on paper, by comparison, but theyve all played out of their skin this season

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Man City's defence looks ridiculously weak by comparison

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
it shows football is a team game and the most effective teams have the right balance and more to do with the sum of its parts not individual players

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If Man City had one decent CB (I like Laporte but he's made of MDF) and a decent replacement for when Aguero isn't available then it would have been much closer.

Just so happens that Liverpool have a great defence and haven't been too impacted by injury. City's squad has great depth though.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I got more Liverpool than Man City, but I remember in the 80s didn’t Man U have more ‘star’ players than Liverpool - it’s all about the sum of the parts = Leicester title winning team (take out Mahrez, N’Kante and Vardy there was nothing great about the rest)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
City are nailed on to win it next season. I'm going in large

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Full backs at Liverpool are much much better. Would take vvd and Alison as well. Fabinho over an aging Fernandinho and mane and maybe salah. Their squad is weaker than cities but as a starting 11 I personally I think is better especially as a unit.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Personally my opinion is that Man City should be winning everything domestically, and most things at a canter. Any of the other teams which win stuff is an upset, even Liverpool. This is based primarily on the fact their squad is far superior to any other club (they can basically put out two complete different first XIs which can beat almost anyone in the league hands down, no other club can do this), have the financial resources to blow almost anyone in world football out of the water and have the greatest manager of his generation in charge.

So Liverpool have a great team but I believe it's still an upset that they (or anyone) are winning the league ahead of City.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
not sure that would plug a 25 point gap

They also say its alot harder to retain a title than win it a first time

But City had already retained their title. They won it two seasons in a row with 100 and 98 points respectively. This season the most they can get is 84 points if they win every game for the rest of the season.

The main differences this season were they let Kompany go and didn't replace him (a big mistake) and lost two key players to injury. I am not saying they would have won it with them fit but they certainly would have got a lot closer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here