Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Electric Scooters - Road Trials

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
So what does NSC think? Good idea or a disaster?

Electric scooters will be allowed on the roads for the first time as the government prepares to approve trials.

The first tests will take place on urban roads next month under plans to give people a green alternative to the car. Commuters have already been told to avoid public transport because of a cut in capacity on buses and trains to maintain social distancing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Great idea, but maybe in cycle lanes to begin with. If on the actual carriageway there should be enforced wearing of HiVis to give car drivers a chance.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Disaster .... :rant:

Too slow on roads, potentially lethal on pavements

Similar speed to cycling.

With more and wider cycle routes in town now, I think we'll see loads of these. I'm very interested in one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
great idea. about time. our rules on what can go on roads or pavements are archaic, no good reason low powered vehicles cant sit alongside bicycles in catagorisation.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Having seen a woman fly arse over tit in the middle of the carriageway on Tower Bridge (as I was cycling alongside her at the edge), I'm not convinced by their safety. There was no obvious cause
for it, just a small incident magnified by the inherent instability and tiny wheels.

She was, of course, not wearing a helmet so was lucky to escape head injury, and also very lucky that a gap in traffic behind her meant that she wasn't immediately run over by a vehicle.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Driven at 20 + mph by people of any age who have little to no road sense, with tiny wheels on severely potholed roads, and who have not passed any kind of test of their knowledge or competency??? Great idea.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see electric scooters in the road all the time, usually in the bike lanes, tbf, but still. I didn't realise it wasn't legal.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Disaster .... :rant:

Too slow on roads, potentially lethal on pavements

If we are talking those little tiny ones, yes. I was on the seafront road to lancing the other day and on the cycle lane on the seafront was one of these whizzing along.... I slowed a little and matched his speed and it was 24-26 mph ! Surely in certain areas vehicles should NOT exceed 20 mph ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we are talking those little tiny ones, yes. I was on the seafront road to lancing the other day and on the cycle lane on the seafront was one of these whizzing along.... I slowed a little and matched his speed and it was 24-26 mph ! Surely in certain areas vehicles should NOT exceed 20 mph ?

I saw a youtube review of one which can get up to 45mph and is nicknamed the widowmaker.

I think they are an excellent way of getting traffic off our roads, but like e-bikes, speed needs to be limited to go in public spaces

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Having nearly wiped out a couple of people riding in the dark, with lights barely worthy of the name, wearing dark clothes and nothing to protect them while they rode through a red light directly in front of me by St. Peter's Church the other day I can't exactly say I'm a fan.

If you think the hatred of cyclists is bad wait until the first car driver gets done for killing some stupid twunt riding one of these.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I borrowed one from my son and loved it. Up to 30 mph with the wind blowing though my hair (the little bits still left) they are just great fun to ride. If I can do so safely and legally, I'm in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Having nearly wiped out a couple of people riding in the dark, with lights barely worthy of the name, wearing dark clothes and nothing to protect them while they rode through a red light directly in front of me by St. Peter's Church the other day I can't exactly say I'm a fan.

If you think the hatred of cyclists is bad wait until the first car driver gets done for killing some stupid twunt riding one of these.

Interesting acknowledgement that the hatred will most likely be towards the dead scooter rider in this instance rather then the driver

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Had them here for 2 summers. I ride one a few times per week. They're great.... But also a nightmare.

If everyone respects the environment and puts them back where they should be, rides sensibly in bike lanes or on suitable roads they're amazing. Much better than waiting for a bus.

But the reality is that people leave them everywhere, ride them like idiots and give their credit card details to their 12 year old children so they can use them. Also car drivers in my experience don't respect the riders as they would a regular cyclist, let alone another car.

So be prepared. You'll hate them unless you're riding one.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Had them here for 2 summers. I ride one a few times per week. They're great.... But also a nightmare.

If everyone respects the environment and puts them back where they should be, rides sensibly in bike lanes or on suitable roads they're amazing. Much better than waiting for a bus.

But the reality is that people leave them everywhere, ride them like idiots and give their credit card details to their 12 year old children so they can use them. Also car drivers in my experience don't respect the riders as they would a regular cyclist, let alone another car.

So be prepared. You'll hate them unless you're riding one.

We’ve just got them here in Bergen and are experiencing exactly this. Suddenly there were 200 bright green scooters lying around on pavements throughout the city. There’s no stations or designated collecting points. There isn’t any regulation of them as there doesn’t seem to be a law stopping the hire company just putting them out onto the street without permission.

A lot of people consider them a nuisance and an eyesore. They can also be quite dangerous if driven recklessly.

Apart from that they seem fun. :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw a youtube review of one which can get up to 45mph and is nicknamed the widowmaker.

I think they are an excellent way of getting traffic off our roads, but like e-bikes, speed needs to be limited to go in public spaces
Jeez! The one I saw doing 25 mph was going along the cycle path half of a path about 6' wide, shared with pedestrians... A scooter doing 45 mph long there would be insanity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here