Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Should we turn the Sahara Desert into a huge solar farm?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Earlier myself and Lil Miss Stat were listening to last weeks Infinite Monkey Cage (Radio 4 science and comedy) about The Sun.

The snail guy casually mentioned:-

'If the Sahara desert was turned into a solar farm we'd have free energy in perpetuity'.

L-M-Stat said, not unreasonably 'so why don't we do that'.
The silence of my answer was deafening.

https://theconversation.com/should-we-turn-the-sahara-desert-into-a-huge-solar-farm-114450

This is again a big number that requires some context: it means that a hypothetical solar farm that covered the entire desert would produce 2,000 times more energy than even the largest power stations in the world, which generate barely 100,000 GWh a year. In fact, its output would be equivalent to more than 36 billion barrels of oil per day – that’s around five barrels per person per day. In this scenario, the Sahara could potentially produce more than 7,000 times the electricity requirements of Europe, with almost no carbon emissions.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Would you trust the worlds energy supply in the hands of a few corrupt African dictators?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sure if you covered all of the sahara, it would lower the temperature and in fact change the weather for that area. The cost would also be beyond your average oil rich arab country(who would prefer to sell you fossil fuel).
Another hypothetical situation would be hydropower, or wind turbines filling every available square foot of the atlantic....not cost effective. Have all the politicians of the world talk into giant balloons. The hot air most come out with could melt the polar ice caps.
How about sending satellites up to harness the suns power. The amount of copper wire needed could be another thing though.
Basically it all comes down to how much will it cost?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Earlier myself and Lil Miss Stat were listening to last weeks Infinite Monkey Cage (Radio 4 science and comedy) about The Sun.

The snail guy casually mentioned:-

'If the Sahara desert was turned into a solar farm we'd have free energy in perpetuity'.

L-M-Stat said, not unreasonably 'so why don't we do that'.
The silence of my answer was deafening.

https://theconversation.com/should-we-turn-the-sahara-desert-into-a-huge-solar-farm-114450

This is again a big number that requires some context: it means that a hypothetical solar farm that covered the entire desert would produce 2,000 times more energy than even the largest power stations in the world, which generate barely 100,000 GWh a year. In fact, its output would be equivalent to more than 36 billion barrels of oil per day – that’s around five barrels per person per day. In this scenario, the Sahara could potentially produce more than 7,000 times the electricity requirements of Europe, with almost no carbon emissions.

Could the same not have been said of oil, and several countries seem to have stitched up the rest of the world over that commodity!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Sounds a good plan, could be the break Africa needs. Hopefully solar panels last longer than the ones in the lights in my garden.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was so disconcerting the way the fella just dropped it into his conversation and nobody said a word.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sounds a good plan, could be the break Africa needs. Hopefully solar panels last longer than the ones in the lights in my garden.

**** Africa why aren’t us the Belgium’s, French and Portuguese not over there already exploiting them ........ so now we go soft as an empire do we............... we’ll only need trinkets ffs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes.

I'm gonna need a fukken long extension lead mind.

you jest, this is a fundemental problem. how do you transport the energy from there to Europe or elsewhere? there were schemes to deploy high voltage DC network some years ago, nothing seems to have some of it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-cant...my-perhaps-lessening-the-poverty-and-violence

The Sahara is "owned" by Africans in at least 11 countries. Many of those countries are not exactly paragons of political stability (e.g. Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Sudan, Tunisia).

Unstable governments make multi-billion-dollar projects terrifying for investors. To make a project interesting enough, it would need to be of some size. To justify the investment in long-distance transmission lines, for example, you will likely want to place millions of panels somewhere. This won't be cheap. Doing this in about half the countries where the Sahara is would be a frightening prospect.

Transmitting power over great distances can be done, but it's not the optimal solution. Building large-scale solar in Africa would be an amazing way for some of these countries to massively improve their economies. But electrical grids in many of those places are not exceptionally good and, if they are, there is typically a reasonable source of power today. So what's the compelling reason to do this? Exporting the power to Europe. To do that will require power lines of 500-2000 miles in some cases, with power losses of up to 10% or more[2]. The math of better African solar resources might look less impressive when it takes a loss on long-distance transmission.

The time scale of these kinds of deals challenges modern institutions like western banks, governments and corporations... In the developing world, it might be a bridge too far. Even within a single country like the U.S., it takes years to build a utility-scale solar plant with modern machinery, world-class roads, access to capital, sometime government loan guarantees, et al. To do a big project in Algeria over a decade that involved sending power to Switzerland is an idea that has the makings of a great James Bond film, but might prove very challenging in practice. From financing it to getting it built to getting the power across the Mediterranean, there are a lot of moving parts. Never mind the chances of shifting political winds in either country creating a delay that could upend the process years into it. Uncertainty is a great challenge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
you jest, this is a fundemental problem. how do you transport the energy from there to Europe or elsewhere? there were schemes to deploy high voltage DC network some years ago, nothing seems to have some of it.

Can't they just load it into converted oil tankers? (solar powered ones of course)

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
One massive directional mirror in the sahara.
One massive "collector" mirror in the UK.
Point the first mirror in the direction of the second.
Problem solved. Just route planes around the "death" ray.
I saw something like it in a James Bond film.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
One massive directional mirror in the sahara.
One massive "collector" mirror in the UK.
Point the first mirror in the direction of the second.
Problem solved. Just route planes around the "death" ray.
I saw something like it in a James Bond film.

And if we put our mirror on a gimbal, we could melt the French

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would you trust the worlds energy supply in the hands of a few corrupt African dictators?!

Of course not, which is why [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] asked "should we..." and, frankly, some good old-fashioned British imperialism is exactly what the world needs right now.

So let's go and stake a claim for the Sahara - what could possibly go wrong?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't already? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here