Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Hove Recycling/Tip Old Shoreham Road

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Has anybody visited it lately, tried three weeks ago however the council were putting in a temporary cycling lane and would only allow a few to access the site,tried again two weeks ago progressed to the short access road but held for 40 mins whilst heavy vehicles were being dealt with, you could not turn round and leave because staff had arranged tight distance between queuing cars.
What is the present situation?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went last week just after a heavy rain shower and had a 5 minute wait. When we left the queue was back to the hour wait sign. I’m a bit of a pro you see, it’s all about timing. They seem to be operating at maybe 40% capacity, if that.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Has anybody visited it lately, tried three weeks ago however the council were putting in a temporary cycling lane and would only allow a few to access the site,tried again two weeks ago progressed to the short access road but held for 40 mins whilst heavy vehicles were being dealt with, you could not turn round and leave because staff had arranged tight distance between queuing cars.
What is the present situation?

Pretty similar, they close the temp gates at the OSR entrance once the line of cars extends to the junction and you can’t stop at that point

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cant comment on Hove, but I went to the site on Wilson Avenue on Thursday morning around 10am, waved straight in with no queue briefly spoke to one of the guys working there who said after a bonkers two days when they re-opened its gone very quiet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Pretty similar, they close the temp gates at the OSR entrance once the line of cars extends to the junction and you can’t stop at that point

The stewards idea of being backed up to the junction and mine is entirely different. I've driven past a number of times to see the closed barrier across at the top of the road but they could easily have tagged on 5 or 6 extra cars to the queue.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
3 car fulls in the last couple of weeks (eventually had to do all that cutting back in the Garden, 'sorry love, tips closed' doesn't seem to cut it any more).

Two occasions drove straight in, once had to do the loop round Holmes Avenue, Corals, and Sackville junctions, but got in 2nd time. When i went round the 2nd time, i think he recognised that I had been round, as he specifically let me in, out of 3 cars trying to go in. And when I got in, i was right on the yellow line painted about 15-20 yards down the entrance road, which I assume is the limit they work to. Even from there, it was only about 15-20 mins wait, despite passing the 1hr wait sign halfway down the entrance road.

I'd agree that it's currently operating at 40% ish.

I've picked weekdays mid morning or early afternoon. Wouldn't want to risk a weekend. It is a bit of a pain, but chatting to the guys there, they are trying to do the best they can. Always found Hove dump very friendly and helpful, just need to be prepared for a bit of a wait and, at worst, a loop or two round the block :thumbsup:

*edit* I case anyone didn't know, you can't turn right into the dump from the OSR, hence the round the block thing.

Last edited:

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Good intel from NSC, thanks all. A bit drizzly this morning, went at 10am (Hove) straight in, no queue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dunno if it's in play anywhere else but my local tip is reintroducing 'proof of residency' from Thursday onwards.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Been a couple of times and not had bad queues. First time I went I was by the hour marker and was in the gates within 5 minutes. Next time I think I queued for 15 minutes.

As a word of warning you can't turn right across Old Shoreham Road into the dump if you're coming from the west so need to come from the east so you can turn left into it.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Re that cycle lane, the approach from Sainsburys driving towards Hove is harebrained and plain dangerous. One of my relatives lives near there and when I visit, I've found you can't actually use the left hand lane safely any more at the traffic lights when facing West, because you'd have to throw your car in front of others or have a race to move first when the lights turn green, to avoid the sudden cycle lane.

There will be a bad accident there, it's not hard to predict.

As for the Hove tip - the set up in both directions is sheer stupidity on the OSR and unsustainable when traffic gets busier. What were they thinking?

sticklebrick

Apr 27, 2008
Re that cycle lane, the approach from Sainsburys driving towards Hove is harebrained and plain dangerous. One of my relatives lives near there and when I visit, I've found you can't actually use the left hand lane safely any more at the traffic lights when facing West, because you'd have to throw your car in front of others or have a race to move first when the lights turn green, to avoid the sudden cycle lane.

There will be a bad accident there, it's not hard to predict.

As for the Hove tip - the set up in both directions is sheer stupidity on the OSR and unsustainable when traffic gets busier. What were they thinking?

https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=696&RPID=35892987&HPID=35892987

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here