Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield United

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I watched their cup game today, whilst they created opportunities against a porous Arsenal defence, they looked like they were missing the energy and dynamism that had them previously chasing the Champions League spots.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Their squad is top four championship at best on paper. Euphoria of promotion and along with enthusiastic fans won’t last long. I might be wrong just can’t see top players working with Wilder almost in the Warnock mould.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Their squad is top four championship at best on paper. Euphoria of promotion and along with enthusiastic fans won’t last long. I might be wrong just can’t see top players working with Wilder almost in the Warnock mould.

When Sander Berge (sp?) came on I thought to myself that he’d be gone by January.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One season wonders.

Every PL manager next season needs to have a little chat with the ref before a game against Sheffield Utd. They play at the very limits of the law. That said, they were League One not so long ago, are not their entitiled neighbours and have been something totally different to enjoy this season, so if my first sentence doesn't come true I won't be gutted. I'd much rather someone like West Ham went down either this season or next.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
8 of their 11 league wins this season have been by 1 goal.

Doesn't take much to turn these into draws or defeats iif they concede the first goal. Could well be the difficult second season coming.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Massive overachievers this season and deserve all the plaudits.

Maybe they can stay up next season to continue to gloat over The Massive and then to send Dirty Leeds down.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I agree regarding top players working with Wilder, always appears angry and often rude. He also doesn't mind calling his players out to the press, even his keeper who was superb early in the season yet made one mistake and he pinned the loss on him in all the interviews not holding back at all. His methods may work when all is good but hit an issue and the enforced respect will disappear.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Prior to the break they had a real momentum that they seemed to be able to carry into each subsequent fixture. It's almost as if this hiatus in the season has allowed them to look down rather than up and their knees have gone all wobbly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am not so sure making judgments on teams for next season based on their performance in the restart is going to prove useful. It's a strange scenario and is measuring very different things than a normal season.

Mine wasn't based on their restart, but their season overall.

They play a lot of decent stuff. Wingbacks, overlapping CBs, some decent holding from our old mucker Norwood and nuisance strikers who don't necessarily score themselves, but set up others.

But it's all based on breaking up other teams early doors. If they don't stop the possession or the break with a little trip they're on the back foot. Their whole game is about it. Have a word with the ref, tell him what they do and see an unjustified yellow come in on their first challenge and I'd be interested in their Plan B. And there is no doubt that lockdown has given teams the opportunity to do exactly that. How do you counteract the cynical challenges and overlapping defenders? Let me spend lockdown studying that video.......

I'm not massively happy about it either. Despite them taking us to bits at the Amex we had a good chat with some of their fans in the train queue home and a quick pint with them after. Proper football fans, nothing "modern" or entitled about them. As a football club I wish them well. But they will need to spend big to avoid being found out next season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree regarding top players working with Wilder, always appears angry and often rude. He also doesn't mind calling his players out to the press, even his keeper who was superb early in the season yet made one mistake and he pinned the loss on him in all the interviews not holding back at all. His methods may work when all is good but hit an issue and the enforced respect will disappear.

PL managers are on the whole smart and have worked out how to combat is system by now, can he adapt himself is the question or just carry on blaming his players.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Remember Reading when they went up ? . Very similar in my opinion and look what has happened to them

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
PL managers are on the whole smart and have worked out how to combat is system by now, can he adapt himself is the question or just carry on blaming his players.

It is odd management, he never praises his players saying it's the least he expects of them but is quick to criticise. I suppose currently he has the upper hand as many of his squad could only ever dream of playing in the premiership and therefore accept his ways. That will change. The praise given to his team I have seen him in an interview turn it around in such a way that the credit was for him only.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
They do now have a Middle-East owner and have had a years experience in the Premier League.
They've also had some injuries.
I'm sure they will remain very competitive and would back them to stay up next season all the time Wilder is there.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
They have missed Jack O’Connell badly... he was on our radar for a while, very similar to Webster in how he plays (in a centre back 3, he goes much further forward like a spare man)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It looks like they've run out of steam, but what a season they've had and big respect to Chris Wilder and his team. The challenge now is to bring in new faces who can build on the base they've established. Will they keep Dean Henderson? Where are the goals coming from? It is important they get a win or two before the end of the season otherwise they'll be on a bad run going into next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here