Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No more three o'clock kick offs?

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
Heard this the other day
There may never be a Saturday three o'clock kick off in the Prem.
The way that matches are being shown now, might be the norm with the focus on TV audiences.
So for the ten Prem games each weekend, Saturday and Sunday would have one at twelve, one at two, one at four and one at eight.
Add to the Friday and Monday night matches
They have changed the rules with regards Saturday kick offs being televised, so another reason this may happen?
It would mean that every Prem League game would be shown live by one company or another.
Thoughts?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They're going to have to do something to get more games into less time if Euro 2021 is going to happen and I would expect part or all of next season to be behind closed doors. Sorry if that's a depressing message but it'll only take a little spike in the autumn, which we all know will happen, to keep big gatherings banned until there's a vaccine or cure.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why not have a game at 3 and a game at 5, rather than a game at 2 and a game at 4 ?

:shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine they'd have to put something into the broadcast contracts regarding liability in the event of another lockdown, or similar. The return of the premier league has been driven by the need to fulfil their broadcast contracts. If every game was to be televised, that would give TV companies even more power. And really, selling more games to be televised is the only way they're likely to improve on the last lot of TV deals.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
We might have a fight on our hands when things return to normal. Re the drinks break (new to be advertising break) and returning to a point where we werent exactly happy with the schedules. Nothing we can do now though.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I said this when it was first announced. They were already looking at doing this anyway to follow the Spanish model so it is nailed on that it will continue like this now.

I really hope the drinks break doesn't though.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
There are other leagues than the premier league - so unlikely to be any football between 3-5pm on a Saturday

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 'may's' and 1 'might', with 'heard this the other day' thrown in as an opening gambit.

I hazard a guess much of the new normal will become normal but I'll not get getting hot under the collar about it just yet.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We might have a fight on our hands when things return to normal. Re the drinks break (new to be advertising break) and returning to a point where we werent exactly happy with the schedules. Nothing we can do now though.

Just hoping the new drinks break doesn't continue into next season as it does offer up the potential for ad breaks to be shown in live games. With the TV companies already looking at putting them in during VAR checks in future seasons the game as we knew it might be completely different if constant changes keep being made.

Personally I hope not.

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
Another point I forgot to include in the original post, is that it would mean supporters of lower league or non league teams could watch their matches at three, and then watch the Premier League games before and after, in their club bars, bringing more money to them as well?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They're going to have to do something to get more games into less time if Euro 2021 is going to happen and I would expect part or all of next season to be behind closed doors. Sorry if that's a depressing message but it'll only take a little spike in the autumn, which we all know will happen, to keep big gatherings banned until there's a vaccine or cure.

When I was a yoof and started watching the Albion play with 3pm ko, the time to me, was part of the package that comes with the game.
With the introduction of Sky, sponsors, foreign viewers and other cash cows, as already mentioned, the 3pm will become a thing of the past.
Money talks IMO.
In fairness to fans who have to travel from one side of the country to the other, a midday ko would be more apt, only my opinions :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So for the ten Prem games each weekend, Saturday and Sunday would have one at twelve, one at two, one at four and one at eight.

Another point I forgot to include in the original post, is that it would mean supporters of lower league or non league teams could watch their matches at three, and then watch the Premier League games before and after, in their club bars, bringing more money to them as well?

They could watch the 12 o clock kick off match and the 8 o clock kick off, but this would be a very long day of football.
But they couldn't watch all of the 2 o clock or 4 o'clock kick offs.

I go to non league when the Albion are not playing or if I can't go away, some non league clubs have the 12.30 kick off showing in the bar and sometimes the later afternoon kick off match on.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
2 and 4 could potentially be better in the winter as the sun goes down later then and the floodlights will need to be used less. That would reduce costs and energy consumption. Would need to do the actual numbers but it could be better that way.

Lights have to be on before the start of a game as they are not allowed to be switched on during therefore even if a game is midday the lights will be on especially in the HD world. I'm sure the cost of lights being they are LED are nowhere near the old style

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here