Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion interested in Ivan Toney

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I have a mate who is a Posh season tiket holder.

He has been raving about Toney for the last couple of years, even asked a bookie for odds he gets an England cap (Got 50/1).

He calls him by far the best striker he has has seen at London Road, and he's seen CMS, Aaron McClean, Connor Washington, Lee Tomlin, Jack Marriott and Dwight Gayle in the last decade. All sold for multiple millions and many of whom played in the top two divisions.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I have a mate who is a Posh season tiket holder.

He has been raving about Toney for the last couple of years, even asked a bookie for odds he gets an England cap (Got 50/1).

He calls him by far the best striker he has has seen at London Road, and he's seen CMS, Aaron McClean, Connor Washington, Lee Tomlin, Jack Marriott and Dwight Gayle in the last decade. All sold for multiple millions and many of whom played in the top two divisions.

That's funny, my mate's uncle knows a chap who's sister is married to a season ticket holder at Posh and he reckons he's shithouse :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would be surprised if we paid close to Peterborough's valuation for a League 1 player. Hope we're looking in the Championship (maybe Ollie Watkins) or in Europe instead.

Be a bit like when we got Sam Baldock from Bristol City.
They wouldn't let him leave for less than 8 million, we eventually got him for about 2, iirr.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Be a bit like when we got Sam Baldock from Bristol City.
They wouldn't let him leave for less than 8 million, we eventually got him for about 2, iirr.

Peterborough don't have a history of selling players for cheap, especially if there are a couple of Premier League clubs interested. May depend on the player and how long is left on his contract.

If we can get him for a reasonable fee, we may decide to do what we did with Matt Clarke and sign him, then loan him out to a Championship team to see how he does with the step up.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9396849 said:
That's funny, my mate's uncle knows a chap who's sister is married to a season ticket holder at Posh and he reckons he's shithouse :thumbsup:

He was also fulsome of praise for Ben White, when no one had heard of him.

I'll bump this thread when Toney makes his England debut.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Brentford have bid 10m for him (3.5m is add on)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t touch Toney with a barge pole but if that’s an indication someone has agreed a fee with Watkins then maybe I’m interested.

Have to eat humble pie with my previous comments on Watkins as have watched and read a bit more about style etc.

Having said that suspect we’re priced out of the equation hence turning attention to Dia.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What impresses me is that Peterborough seem to be able to sell their top goalscorers and then just seem to continue in the same form with another player seamlessly slotting into the position

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What impresses me is that Peterborough seem to be able to sell their top goalscorers and then just seem to continue in the same form with another player seamlessly slotting into the position

Possibly a bit easier to do if you're in a lower league ? standing still is suicidal in the PL.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Possibly a bit easier to do if you're in a lower league ? standing still is suicidal in the PL.

Not many clubs manage to do it so it cannot be that easy. Although Almeira and Athletico Madrid seem to be two bigger clubs than Peterborough who have a continual conveyor belt of strikers

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

The exact thing that makes me weary of buying another Peterborough striker. Their entire modus operandi is to buy low and sell high. The easiest way of doing that is to play a type of football that creates chances for their striking commodities and ship them on at grossly inflated fees.

The players themselves are ok-ish but it’s their football that makes them stand out. In other tactics/formations they tend not to pull up too many trees - see also:

CMS
Assombalonga [possivle exception to the rule but injury prone]
Conor Washington
Dwight Gayle
Aaron McClean

Don’t get me wrong it’s a fantastic business model but the players are all a bit emperors new clothes.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The exact thing that makes me weary of buying another Peterborough striker. Their entire modus operandi is to buy low and sell high. The easiest way of doing that is to play a type of football that creates chances for their striking commodities and ship them on at grossly inflated fees.

The players themselves are ok-ish but it’s their football that makes them stand out. In other tactics/formations they tend not to pull up too many trees - see also:

CMS
Assombalonga [possivle exception to the rule but injury prone]
Conor Washington
Dwight Gayle
Aaron McClean

Don’t get me wrong it’s a fantastic business model but the players are all a bit emperors new clothes.

Don't really agree. The players you've mentioned have had decent careers at Championship level after they've left Peterborough. Just because none have made the step up to Premier League doesn't make them flops. Toney is in the same category from what I've seen.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
But we shouldn't be in the market for 'decent championship career' strikers should we? None of them have recreated their prolific form elsewhere so i'd say the model works very well for Peterborough and i'm happy for them but I wouldn't buy a striker from them.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
But we shouldn't be in the market for 'decent championship career' strikers should we? None of them have recreated their prolific form elsewhere so i'd say the model works very well for Peterborough and i'm happy for them but I wouldn't buy a striker from them.

Don't think we are or ever were in the market for Toney. I'm sure we've looked at him but we've probably looked at a lot of strikers...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And hopefully both sides of the equation are balanced by one or other moving to us?

I’ve got a feeling now that we’ll take a £15m Nunez style striker rather than a £25m Watkins or £35m Edouard.

I’m not sure we’ll be splashing the cash in this Covid era, part exchanges are our best bet for top talent I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here