Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Do musicians get better with age?

Jan 26, 2012
Do musicians get better with age? The late David Bowie (69) Blackstar, Bruce Springsteen (70) Western Stars, Bob Dylan (79) Rough and Rowdy Ways and the late Leonard Cohen (82) You want it darker. They were all getting on a bit when they made them, but IMHO four brilliant albums. If you’re into this sort of thing they’re well worth a listen.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think good musicians don't lose fans so no I don't think they get better. I reckon the best albums for those 4 would be

Bowie - Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders From Mars (1972)
Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen (1968) - I'm no way an authority but I love his voice
Springsteen - Nebraska for me (1982) - Plenty would disagree I know

The four you mention are great. The Bowie album is genuinely good and was an enexpected last gift. In the case of Dylan, his voice is buggered, He can scarcely play an instrument (suspect severe arthritis), but his gift with words is undimmed - I was delighted when Murder Most Fould came out and I'm delighting in the new album. Springsteen I think will not release any bad stuff ever - I think he would retire if he felt he couldn't do it justice

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I feel like my karaoke has got marginally better over t he years so it’s a yes from me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No.

Attachments

• DF24C9AC-A81F-4AD6-AD44-9B753B2FE021.jpeg
    DF24C9AC-A81F-4AD6-AD44-9B753B2FE021.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 173

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Do musicians get better with age? The late David Bowie (69) Blackstar, Bruce Springsteen (70) Western Stars, Bob Dylan (79) Rough and Rowdy Ways and the late Leonard Cohen (82) You want it darker. They were all getting on a bit when they made them, but IMHO four brilliant albums. If you’re into this sort of thing they’re well worth a listen.
Nah.....early Bowie wipes the floor with anything he did in his later career.
Listen to cygnet committee from 1969. Immense
In my opinion of course

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only one that I can think of who got better with age was Leonard Cohen. Pretty well everyone else I can think of did their best stuff decades ago, even Neil Young.

Probably to do with the arrangements and backing singers but this is almost a happy Laughing Len rather than the one who was tailor made to slit your wrists to back in the 60’s and 70’s :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7vULqs31Q

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In my opinion of course

In your opinion of course. I think Blackstar was as good as anything else he ever did. I bought it after reading the reviews and thought it superb, and that was before his death was announced. But it is very different, and I positively like the difference,

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In my opinion of course

Cygnet Committee has always been one of my fave Bowie tracks, an absolute beast of a song, yet because it was pre-Ziggy, it has always been overlooked.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In terms of bands, rather than individual artists, I'd definitely say that four of my favourites from the 1980s have actually released some of their best albums in the last decade: Killing Joke, Wire, Half Man Half Biscuit, and Blancmange.

Oh, and Black Sabbath's final studio album, 13, was up their with their early material, both lyrically and in terms of Tony Iommi's brilliant sludgy doomy riffs.

Also, the last Sparks album Hippopotamus, was as good and as fresh or original as their 1970s material.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's a question without answer IMO, some musicians get better, as you never stop learning, as long as physically you can actually perform . . . Not many singers past 65ish are anywhere near as good as when they were 20-30ish . . . . Look at Elton John, Rod Stewart Paul McCartney etc as singers, drummers usually kark it before then anyway, guitarists seem to soldier on, Jeff Beck and Keith RIchards being prime examples

Paul Weller still cuts it (nearly 62) and plenty of others still do too . . . The BLockheads are no spring Chickens, but still superb.

Creativity is a different issue . . . . WHen you consider what The JAm did as teenagers/early 20's, then Weller did in the 90's ( WIld wood and Stanley Road) ) incredible stuff . . . . I haven't followed him closely in recent years but a few recent tracks stand out.

There seems to be an element of modernism about creativity, from Beck. Bowie, Weller and others . . .a constant reinvention and chameleon like character.

Can't help thinking about me is a Good BOwie track ;-). And to think Weller wrote man in The corner shop aged 20.

Songwriting is an art that takes time to develop, many get better with age ( Steve Mason is a good example) some are brilliant from the outset and seemingly run out of ideas . . .Kinks/Stones

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I think artists should stay relevent and evolve, like Weller. Once your band or music has had it's day - end it and go solo or reinvent yourself.

Some bands think they are evergreen like the Rollinng Stones and others go on too long like Oasis, Noel should have left after album 3 and went solo.

Leave the band and its music within its era, go out at the top, and move yourself as an artist into the next

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think artists should stay relevent and evolve, like Weller. Once your band or music has had it's day - end it and go solo or reinvent yourself.

Some bands think they are evergreen like the Rollinng Stones and others go on too long like Oasis, Noel should have left after album 3 and went solo.

Leave the band and its music within its era, go out at the top, and move yourself as an artist into the next

I get your point, but Horses for courses I’d say. I could name a number of bands who never evolved and ceased to become relevant which were, imho, brilliant because of this. And whilst I enjoy acts because they push the creative envelope I equally like some because I enjoy holding a beer in my hand and seeing and hearing them knocking out some great tunes. This helps me do things like see Yves Tumor and Def Leppard in the same week; both were great for completely different reasons.

How you receive and appreciate art is effected by so many things that one reason to like a band can be the reason to dislike another.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
No.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Paul Weller still cuts it (nearly 62) and plenty of others still do too . . . The BLockheads are no spring Chickens, but still superb.

Creativity is a different issue . . . . WHen you consider what The JAm did as teenagers/early 20's, then Weller did in the 90's ( WIld wood and Stanley Road) ) incredible stuff . . . . I haven't followed him closely in recent years but a few recent tracks stand out.

New Weller album out next week - heard three tracks so far and sounds like another great album. Weller isn't afraid to try new stuff ... most of the time it works ... not always, but you I think that's better than trotting out the same old same old all the time. I've recently been updating my 'Weller' playlist on Spotify - covering The Jam, TSC and solo stuff ... then just hit shuffle ... superb!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here