Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I know this is a UK issue but i'm only interested in what happens in Brighton and Hove.

This week saw 11 tons of litter removed from Brighton beach, our parks are in a disgusting state with staff having to start at 5am and spend all day clearing other people's rubbish.

Bigger bins are not the answer....they would get filled with domestic waste (old furniture, building rubbish, garden waste etc) in no time.

Maybe someone out there has the answer.

To start with, i'd increase the fine to £1,000 for dropping litter or leaving it beside a bin. This could easily pay for more enforcement officers.

Slap me if i'm wrong.....but please feel free to post your (sensible) ideas.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No fine, but anyone dropping litter has to undertake 7 hours working on picking up litter from the beach/streets.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Shoot anyone found dropping litter. Eventually there'll be no litter droppers left. Trump'esch yes, I think it might work though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ban bringing alcohol to the beach.
I know there are bars selling beers down there, i mean taking bottles and cans to the beach.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
More bins & more collections Jevs, as a council tax payer I would be happy to see an increase in CT to contribute towards this, fast food wrappers are a nightmare too, maybe tax the outlets??

Controversial but I would support a Herring Gull cull.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ban bringing alcohol to the beach.
I know there are bars selling beers down there, i mean taking bottles and cans to the beach.

Why punish those who take responsibility for their rubbish? I'm with [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] Shoot the litter bugs on sight.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ban cyclists and pedestrians. Force everyone to drive and half will give up before they get there, the other half will see the cost of parking if they can find a space, then go home. Job done.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just take it home with you after your day out. Whenever myself and the family go out to the beach or somewhere similar we always take a bin bag with us to put all our rubbish in. At the end of our time out we just tie it up and take it home and put it in our dustbin. What's so difficult about that?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
More bins & more collections Jevs, as a council tax payer I would be happy to see an increase in CT to contribute towards this, fast food wrappers are a nightmare too, maybe tax the outlets??

Controversial but I would support a Herring Gull cull.

Personally, i'd remove ALL of the bins. More bins isn't the answer....i took the bins out of the Rockery about 10 years ago and haven't noticed any increase in litter. If people are going to drop litter or leave it laying around, they'll do it whether there's a bin or not.

As for Herring Gulls....I agree but foxes, people letting their dogs to rummage around bins, even squirrels.....not sure where you'd stop.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Get more staff to clear up.

Litter happens and people need jobs.

Give the jobs to those in real need

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why punish those who take responsibility for their rubbish? I'm with [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] Shoot the litter bugs on sight.

Most of the photos I've seen of litter on Brighton beach seem to be of beer cans, bottles and boxes that have 12 bottles bought from supermarkets.

The OP has asked for suggestions, this is mine.

Lush

Mods' Pet
10p per 1kg of rubbish collected in Brighton and Hove council branded bin bags supplied on beach. The kids would barely let you get your mini scotch eggs out before they’d be begging for the container.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Fines. No excuse for littering, absolutely none at all. Take a bag and take your crap to either the nearest bin or home, it's not hard.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I am afraid there is very little you can do to change the behaviour of these morons. You can have £1000 fines but then you have to have the resources to police it - and they havent because they prioritise other things - such as paying management consultants to tell them to close down the A259 and put another cycle lane in etc.

So as well as policing it, you then need to run a collection and cleaning operation that starts at 5am and doesnt stop until midnight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here