Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Home security systems - any experts on here?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I recently bought a new house (thanks again to [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] for sorting the mortgage!) and I’m looking to fit a new security system. The house is in a nice part of Leeds, but Leeds being Leeds - as much as I love the city, it’s a bugger for burglary and car crime. The house itself is also a little bit exposed, being a corner plot.

There seem to be a few different options; the old school bog standard alarm box, smart DIY solutions and fully monitored, professional solutions.

Now, I want a bit more than the bog standard offering, and I don’t trust myself to set-up a system myself properly. So that leaves me with the monitored option, essentially, if the alarm goes off they call you to let you know. Trouble is, I’ve had some quotes (ADT and Verisure) and whilst I’m comfortable with the installation cost, there’s a monthly fee of about £40 for the monitoring.

It just seems to be in the age of smart phones that the idea of a real person calling you just feels a bit old hat. In my mind, they only reason they would do that is to justify a healthy monthly fee.

So, any recommendations as to which way to go? The ideal solution seems to be something which alerts you via an app should something go awry, but I can’t seem to find such a thing.

Thoughts welcome!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
this is the best security system we ever had. tania.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You’re possibly taking me on a slight tangent here, but we have been considering getting a dog now we’ve got a bit more space in the house. Genuine question, do you feel that having one makes your house more secure?

My wife has always felt much more secure at home on her own when we have had a dog. Could be placebo though

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you get the right kind of dog yes . . . . ours is definitely territorial, but not agressive, It's not the ultimate deterrant, unless trained specifically as a guard dog, but would put off the chancers.

TBH Tania the Doberman was as soft as shit, having said that, she did scare the shit out of someone who had a go at my mum in the pub once . . . most impressive. SOme dogs have a very good perception of danger. Our current hound is a Patterdale cross . . . . he's pretty good too. look how scary he is Rocco pub.JPG

theres a good camera system a few colleagues use I've been looking at . . .I'll find it in a minute.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Depends on the dog but yes they can definitely be a deterrent for some - my sister has at times had up to five German Shepherds(the dogs) - she’s never been burgled!
Of course the main benefit of dogs is they’re just wonderful!

We had the Ring security system put in with one camera at the front. Was around £250 installed and I pay a low annual monitoring fee. It sends an alert to your phone whenever triggered and gives you video of what’s happening - very pleased with it!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So, any recommendations as to which way to go? The ideal solution seems to be something which alerts you via an app should something go awry, but I can’t seem to find such a thing.

Thoughts welcome!

I have got the Blink CCTV system fom Amazon, works by WIFI and linked to my phone by an app, very simple to set up. The basic package includes one camera, but extra cameras are not expensive.

I do have an intruder alarm system, but this was installed when the house was built.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
eufy cam e . . . . wi-fi . . .phone app etc. apparently very good . . .you can also set zones and sensitivity, one guy at work said his was going off every minute as it picked up every passer by, bike, car etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Swedish company Verisure are great, starting at £30 pcm.

https://www.verisure.co.uk/lp/m/alarms-for-home?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyP_o0f6h6gIVDLDtCh3nFA2REAAYASAAEgLV1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/verisure.co.uk

Wireless alarm systems are easy to install and use in maintaining security. It is not only about location, but also about how these alarms react by sending alerts to the central control panel.
Wireless alarm systems secure your home’s doors and windows through detectors, which communicate with the control panel through signals. If an intruder breaks in, the detectors activate the monitoring system, which sends all collected data to the Alarm Receiving Centre via broadband or via the mobile network (GSM). If mobile coverage fails, or problems arise with your Internet connection, your alarm system remains connected thanks to the dual connection paths.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You’re possibly taking me on a slight tangent here, but we have been considering getting a dog now we’ve got a bit more space in the house. Genuine question, do you feel that having one makes your house more secure?

My parents used to have a serving police officer live two doors up. He always swore that the best security system was a dog. Apparently burglars aren't scared of alarms as they assume people won't pay much attention and by the time the monitoring company / police get their act together they can be gone. Now a dog can be dangerous.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
An old friend of mine, in his drug addled misspent youth, made most of his drug money from burglary. He once told me that the only thing that stopped him breaking in was a dog. Alarms didn't bother him.

I must say that modern alarms are probably far better than what was available at the time and also that he has totally transformed his life and regrets those days.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I recently bought a new house (thanks again to [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] for sorting the mortgage!) and I’m looking to fit a new security system. The house is in a nice part of Leeds, but Leeds being Leeds - as much as I love the city, it’s a bugger for burglary and car crime. The house itself is also a little bit exposed, being a corner plot.

There seem to be a few different options; the old school bog standard alarm box, smart DIY solutions and fully monitored, professional solutions.

Now, I want a bit more than the bog standard offering, and I don’t trust myself to set-up a system myself properly. So that leaves me with the monitored option, essentially, if the alarm goes off they call you to let you know. Trouble is, I’ve had some quotes (ADT and Verisure) and whilst I’m comfortable with the installation cost, there’s a monthly fee of about £40 for the monitoring.

It just seems to be in the age of smart phones that the idea of a real person calling you just feels a bit old hat. In my mind, they only reason they would do that is to justify a healthy monthly fee.

Thoughts welcome!

I have a little experience on this front, burgled three times in SBS - Cameras and alarms made little difference, though of course one would assume a burglar would prefer a house without both. Make sure fences are secure and have anti climb devices (spikes on top for instance) on them, make sure your door is solid and not panelled, in short, make it difficult for burglars.

I'd echo Zefarelly's thoughts though, get a dog, best way to dissuade a burglar...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Swedish company Verisure are great, starting at £30 pcm.

https://www.verisure.co.uk/lp/m/alarms-for-home?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyP_o0f6h6gIVDLDtCh3nFA2REAAYASAAEgLV1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/verisure.co.uk

Wireless alarm systems are easy to install and use in maintaining security. It is not only about location, but also about how these alarms react by sending alerts to the central control panel.
Wireless alarm systems secure your home’s doors and windows through detectors, which communicate with the control panel through signals. If an intruder breaks in, the detectors activate the monitoring system, which sends all collected data to the Alarm Receiving Centre via broadband or via the mobile network (GSM). If mobile coverage fails, or problems arise with your Internet connection, your alarm system remains connected thanks to the dual connection paths.

£360 per year - how much does that reduce insurance premiums? I’m not sure I have valuables that couldn’t be replaced on insurance. I guess if you have antiques, unique jewellery or art that cannot be replaced it’s worth it. But my laptop, TV, Xbox, smart devices, bikes, they can have them as I’ll likely end up with newer versions on insurance anyway.

I’ve been burgled once when I was a student in ‘98, they got my computer and stereo but the worse part was all the CDs, however even on a cheap student policy it was all replaced and I ended up with a cracking computer upgrade. The feeling of being invaded isn’t nice though, I slept with a 4 iron by the bed for a while.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a little experience on this front, burgled three times in SBS - Cameras and alarms made little difference, though of course one would assume a burglar would prefer a house without both. Make sure fences are secure and have anti climb devices (spikes on top for instance) on them, make sure your door is solid and not panelled, in short, make it difficult for burglars.

I'd echo Zefarelly's thoughts though, get a dog, best way to dissuade a burglar...

I often think cool looking security cameras and alarms have the reverse effect of deterrent but actually say ‘there be valuables here.

Been looking at options myself so interested to read different opinions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£360 per year - how much does that reduce insurance premiums? I’m not sure I have valuables that couldn’t be replaced on insurance. I guess if you have antiques, unique jewellery or art that cannot be replaced it’s worth it. But my laptop, TV, Xbox, smart devices, bikes, they can have them as I’ll likely end up with newer versions on insurance anyway.

I’ve been burgled once when I was a student in ‘98, they got my computer and stereo but the worse part was all the CDs, however even on a cheap student policy it was all replaced and I ended up with a cracking computer upgrade. The feeling of being invaded isn’t nice though, I slept with a 4 iron by the bed for a while.

In honesty, I don’t know.

Friends in Sweden have a Verisure system. They have a set up where, as they get home a bit later from work than their kids from school, there are several safety measures throughout the house so that Verisure (with no invasion of privacy) are on call to deal with any possible intruder/weido incident.

They live in a very safe quiet town, but you know what the Swedes are like when it comes to safety (Volvo).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I often think cool looking security cameras and alarms have the reverse effect of deterrent but actually say ‘there be valuables here.

Been looking at options myself so interested to read different opinions.

We have an ADT alarm. If we're out then there is little we or ADT can do to stop something being stolen. We have it for peace of mind while we sleep and while our daughter is at home by herself. If it's set off at night then it gives me time to get my muscular :whistle: frame out of bed and deal with the situation. If our daughter is at home by her self there is an emergency key sequence that gets the alarm company to call the police immediately. I guess it mostly depends on if you think it will give you peace of mind - it will never really stop a determined burglar. Costs us £27 a month.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have an ADT alarm. If we're out then there is little we or ADT can do to stop something being stolen. We have it for peace of mind while we sleep and while our daughter is at home by herself. If it's set off at night then it gives me time to get my muscular :whistle: frame out of bed and deal with the situation. If our daughter is at home by her self there is an emergency key sequence that gets the alarm company to call the police immediately. I guess it mostly depends on if you think it will give you peace of mind - it will never really stop a determined burglar. Costs us £27 a month.

Good point Westdene, it is a relatively small cost in view of feeling safe and peace of mind. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here