Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Overseas holidays allowed from 6 July (without quarantining on return)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To much of the continent.

DDDDD3EB-D726-464D-BC37-5E68BD5F3A70.png

Travel writers had previously advised that once this news breaks, flight bargains will disappear.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just in time, booked two weeks in Lanzarote next month since trip to Mexico went West.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Champions League meant to be finished in Lisbon ! That didn't work out well !

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Looking at the Easyjet site, Gatwick flights to cities such as Amsterdam in August, just a few quid. Copenhagen also, but care’s required as some countries aren’t yet letting travellers in.

Remain unconvinced atm that air travel is really safe enough(unfortunately). especially with connecting flights as an extra bonus chance of catching something. Going to stick with the ferry and car

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So what is Trumplite going to about America which should be in the dark red zone requiring full quarantine.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’m weighing up Le Shuttle and driving, versus flights.

Think i read somewhere You have to stay in the car during the tunnel ride now,no more standing around and stretching your legs whilst in transit, no onboard toilets open either. Seems a fairly safe way to do it.
Gave up flying to Switzerland ages ago for long breaks. Always drive now, quite economical when more than 1 person + added bonus of stopping there and back and visiting somewhere new each trip. The realisation that getting there and back via Belgium and Germany doesnt add that much time really, saves a wad on tolls and extends the new places in the middle of nowhere to visit is an added bonus.
The car is your friend in Europe

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think i read somewhere You have to stay in the car during the tunnel ride now,no more standing around and stretching your legs whilst in transit, no onboard toilets open either. Seems a fairly safe way to do it.
Gave up flying to Switzerland ages ago for long breaks. Always drive now, quite economical when more than 1 person + added bonus of stopping there and back and visiting somewhere new each trip. The realisation that getting there and back via Belgium and Germany doesnt add that much time really, saves a wad on tolls and extends the new places in the middle of nowhere to visit is an added bonus.

I guessed they’d stop the standing out of the car, but that’s no hardship for 45 minutes.

Flying in recent decades (due to Lockerbie, 9-11, shoebomber, etc) is now an exhaustive and lengthy process, compared to before. I remember rocking up at Gatwick in the late 80’s for flights to Scotland, with hold luggage, and departing about an hour later.

I can see the attraction you mention. We’ve done some big drives to The Alps and NE Spain in recent years, as I’m the only driver overseas, we have to take motel stops both ways, adding a couple of days. I admit, driving is very unenvironmental.

An alternative is Eurostar and using the high speed trains on the continent. Expensive for four in peak season, but that’s worked well for us.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
To much of the continent.

View attachment 125389

Travel writers had previously advised that once this news breaks, flight bargains will disappear.

Don’t think bargains will disappear yet- as the formal announcement hasn’t been made yet. People need to hear an official announcement that the FCO guidance will chance from a specific date, to know that they can book and have valid travel insurance when they travel. And they will want formal confirmation that there is no quarantine requirement on return.

Once there is an official announcement, bookings may then pick up significantly.

I have seen some quotes from people in the travel industry saying that the expect prices to remain low, because they expect demand to remain low.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Lots of concerns about flying to Europe at present. Will travel insurance be valid, will you be able to enjoy the break (restaurants, bars operating near normal etc), will flights schedules be near normal, sitting on a plane for 2/3 hours with a mask on, no easy toilet access with kids. Etc Etc. I can understand why the Government is trailing but practically is it too late for this Summer I wonder.

I agree that Le Shuttle sounds a bit more attractive

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This is great news , there are many families who will look forward to a bit of respite and something to look forward to after the last 13 weeks if your one of those that doesn’t think it’s safe that’s fine but do respect the views of others that do.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Cancelled our holiday for August and glad I have, there will be plenty of restrictions still in place, anybody that thinks it will be a normal holiday will be in for a shock,

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is great news , there are many families who will look forward to a bit of respite and something to look forward to after the last 13 weeks if your one of those that doesn’t think it’s safe that’s fine but do respect the views of others that do.

Clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But what makes you think it is SAFE?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Cancelled our holiday for August and glad I have, there will be plenty of restrictions still in place, anybody that thinks it will be a normal holiday will be in for a shock,

Depends on the country, depends on the type of holiday.

Drive to the continent via the tunnel and stay in a house / villa- and yes your holiday could be very normal bar the possibility of wearing a mask in the supermarket.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
More confusing mixed messages.

We can open pubs, restaurants, shops and then go on holiday,

but can’t

Send our kids to school, have a game of squash or badminton, go to a health club?

Stay alert. Don’t go to the beach as it isn’t earning the economy much money, but by all means get on a flight to Benidorm, get bladdered for 2 weeks meeting people from various nationalities, then return home. Meanwhile let’s lose our shit because people had a day at Bournemouth beach.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here