Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think long term the worse thing we ever did was win the World Cup in 1966. It turned football in this country inwards and we didn't develop our coaching like the Dutch, Germans then eventually Spanish and French did. Thankfully at around the turn of the century we began to take youth development seriously and seem to be producing good English players.

This plus foreign players coming over en masse since the 90s, combined with better facilities and preparation has made it a much higher standard, even down the pyramid.

By the end of the 90s the stadiums were falling apart and with hindsight Hillsborough was inevitable at some stage. If the Sky money has done nothing else it has built some great stadiums. Hooliganism and racism - although the later was as much a societal problem as a football specific one - have been heavily reduced or pushed to the margins.

I am sure the 70s and 80s were fun to live through but they were of their time.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Personally I loved it and preferred football in the 70/80's. While hooliganism is clearly bad it did ensure a commaride amongst away fans and I made a large number of friends I never would have otherwise. Quality of play was lower but it was a more physical game then. In them days an away game was an adventure a bloody scary one at times...

Of course I was a teenager/20's then and life generally was more fun :lol:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
As mentioned on an Albion Roar pod cast, the 70s football paticularly with Wardy et al was the Zeitgeist of the times.
I was spending my leisure time being herded into the North Stand, or watching a Punk band playing live in Brighton or London.
I feel privileged to of had the experience.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Hi all,

If you missed the talk on Wednesday, it has now been uploaded on the History Indoors YouTube channel:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
We had our roundtable discussion on the topic at the weekend. If you're not sick to death of podcast style football chat, you can watch three Ipswich fans, an Albion fan and an Ebbsfleet United fan talk about nostalgia, safe standing and new stadiums below. I manage to talk about Withdean and the Amex a fair bit!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Still look forward to next game as much as any decade. Not since Ward though has there been a player I looked forward to watching as much as team. Win or lose always did something special that you would talk about for days

Jan 30, 2008
Personally I loved it and preferred football in the 70/80's. While hooliganism is clearly bad it did ensure a commaride amongst away fans and I made a large number of friends I never would have otherwise. Quality of play was lower but it was a more physical game then. In them days an away game was an adventure a bloody scary one at times...

Of course I was a teenager/20's then and life generally was more fun :lol:
love it or hate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp6RsimlWi8
regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
I think long term the worse thing we ever did was win the World Cup in 1966. It turned football in this country inwards and we didn't develop our coaching like the Dutch, Germans then eventually Spanish and French did. Thankfully at around the turn of the century we began to take youth development seriously and seem to be producing good English players.

This plus foreign players coming over en masse since the 90s, combined with better facilities and preparation has made it a much higher standard, even down the pyramid.

By the end of the 90s the stadiums were falling apart and with hindsight Hillsborough was inevitable at some stage. If the Sky money has done nothing else it has built some great stadiums. Hooliganism and racism - although the later was as much a societal problem as a football specific one - have been heavily reduced or pushed to the margins.

I am sure the 70s and 80s were fun to live through but they were of their time.

https://youtu.be/KQdMGCFbdpw
regards
DF

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Time for the poll to settle the matter once and for all!

[tweet]1280532018716164096[/tweet]

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The money in game is mad from top to bottom including many Div1/2 players earning £150/200k pa. and all this could easily make me disillusioned with game now. However we are so lucky to have Bloom as owner and do feel as well as supporting Albion we are supporting Bloom. Without doubt would feel differently if we had a foreign owner

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I feel the 'edge' has been taken out of going to a game, although having moved overseas, I haven't made it to many in the last decade. Sometimes I was scared shitless as an 11 year old through my teens in the old north stand but the buzz that came with it was something else. I've felt a bit underwhelmed the few times i've been to a game in England over the last 10/15 years and I don't like how the FA are messing with the game.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The money in game is mad from top to bottom including many Div1/2 players earning £150/200k pa. and all this could easily make me disillusioned with game now. However we are so lucky to have Bloom as owner and do feel as well as supporting Albion we are supporting Bloom. Without doubt would feel differently if we had a foreign owner

Yeah and the solutions don't seem overly obvious either. I was all for a salary cap to be introduced to restrain the crazy spending on wages. I then listened to the Price of Football podcast where it's explained that this may widen the gap between the Premier League and the EFL even further. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here