Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Hi all,

History Indoors is an organisation run by researchers from the University of Essex providing free history talks to the general public during the lockdown on Zoom. Our next talk on Wednesday looks at whether the pre-Premier League 1970s and 80s was a golden era or not. Terracing and affordable ticket prices versus racism and hooliganism?

This might be particularly enjoyable for Albion fans. Do you look back on pre-PL football with fondness?

The talk is at 2pm and 7pm on Wednesday 1st July. You can find out more and sign up here: https://historyindoors.co.uk/talk/the-golden-age-english-football-before-the-prem/

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So subjective,Ward 4/Mellor3. Case at Highbury. Robbie at Hereford. Stuart the week before and the list goes on.Good Luck.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
late 80s / early 90s the best.

Players getting more professional but still had the Tuesdays clubs and still a bit tasty between fans

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
So subjective,Ward 4/Mellor3. Case at Highbury. Robbie at Hereford. Stuart the week before and the list goes on.Good Luck.

You've just aged us all another ten years.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Terracing and cheap tickets are nice but hooliganism, Heysel, Hillsborough, Bradford City, and rampant racism would suggest that it wasn't a particularly golden era.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It was of its time. I grew up with it. But it's much better now, Excepting that the commercial side has created more division. There are less rags to riches.

That said, teams still bought their way to the top flight.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

We had never heard of Archer, Bellotti and Stanley in the 70s and 80s. The Goldstone was stolen in 97, so, the OPs question is pertinent.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Derby,Forest,Everton & Villa winning the league

Forest & Villa winning the European Cup

Man Utd in Div 2

Sunderland & Southampton genuine shocks winning the FA Cup

England v Scotland games were massive

Modern day football is massively overrated as illustrated last night watching Burnley against Watford

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We had never heard of Archer, Bellotti and Stanley in the 70s and 80s. The Goldstone was stolen in 97, so, the OPs question is pertinent.

Arrangements for the land theft, and personally profiting from it, were hatched in 93.

B3A00419-E08D-4345-A5BE-818A252BB9E6.png

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I loved football in the 70s and 80s, but, I’m not sure if that was just because I was young then. The Albion were great to support in those days, mainly good football, quite a lot of success, hoodoo sign over Palace for the majority of those 2 decades , beer was relatively cheap, big crowds, good atmosphere.
Generally though, English football wasn’t that great. We had , as a nation huge success in Europe, but, we were pretty crap on the international front. Hooliganism and racism were a blight on the game, but, if you weren’t an ethnic minority, it wasn’t thought to be much of a problem. The hoolies could usually be avoided, with a bit of street smarts and sometimes luck, unless you wanted a ruck yourself. The 3 big football disasters of those 2 decades did give birth to a lot of improvements across the game, and led to the driving out of the thugs.? I believe even the European ban was a good thing, as it did lead to the authorities having to face the reality of just how far down football had sunk in this country.

I would love to have seen players like Best, Marsh Curry, Bowles etc play on today’s pitches, with today’s scientific approach to training, and the modern diets. How good would they be today?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
During lockdown I have watched quite a few of the old fa cup and league games, quality of football is terrible on the most part. Add in hooliganism and racism, the answer is no. The only problem with today’s game is the money aspect, granted that is a very big problem.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
During lockdown I have watched quite a few of the old fa cup and league games, quality of football is terrible on the most part. Add in hooliganism and racism, the answer is no. The only problem with today’s game is the money aspect, granted that is a very big problem.

Some of the football was just awful. Watched an fa cup final , that while it had flashes of skill was mostly a succession of balls lumped forward and misplaced passes. Modern football looks like its from a differemt planet in comparison.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mud fields for pitches
Dirty Leeds kicking lumps out of everyone
Hoof football
Needing a sixth sense to avoid violence
Racism
Getting drowned on open terraces
Guaranteed food poisoning if you ate any food at the ground

Yep great times

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Football better now

Supporter experience better then

As for the racism. Fair enough comments on here. I have to say I didn't notice it that much or maybe at that age and at that time I wasn't as disgusted as I am now, so don't ever remember my day out being ruined by it. It was only about 5 years ago, we seriously put homophobia on the same level as racism.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here