Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus and the USA

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Also mandatory mask wearing for anyone over two years old in any public space in miami dade and Broward as of today - indoors and out.

Florida may be a red state - however all very well everyone implying Florida’s full of redneck reckless loons but the vast majority of the cases are in urban democrat tri county area with a very different demographic and a population that’s seen it’s tourism and the cruise industry decimated but have still worked very hard to keep this down. This Florida bashing is an odd narrative. Far more complex than laughing at Florida Man on twitter.

Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that Florida is full of redneck loons, or Florida bashing. I merely stated that it had experienced an alarming number of new cases today :shrug:
But if you're really interested in my extremely limited (no doubt prejudiced) understanding of Florida, which I've never visited:
-- it's a swing state, with a large electoral college, and the outcome of the Florida vote can often be key to the presidential outcome
-- it's a tourist area
-- it's got a substantial Cuban and Latin American population
-- it's kind of the opposite of a redneck state, my prejudiced view tells me that there's an awful lot of plastic surgery there -- in other words, more postmodern than premodern
-- really hope its people don't suffer too much in this pandemic

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that Florida is full of redneck loons, or Florida bashing. I merely stated that it had experienced an alarming number of new cases today :shrug:
But if you're really interested in my extremely limited (no doubt prejudiced) understanding of Florida, which I've never visited:
-- it's a swing state, with a large electoral college, and the outcome of the Florida vote can often be key to the presidential outcome
-- it's a tourist area
-- it's got a substantial Cuban and Latin American population
-- it's kind of the opposite of a redneck state, my prejudiced view tells me that there's an awful lot of plastic surgery there -- in other words, more postmodern than premodern
-- really hope its people don't suffer too much in this pandemic

I didn’t mean you necessarily mate - however it can be very Redneck when it puts its mind to it - my point was the majority of cases are in south Florida multicultural urban and democrat. The ‘oh look at the silly Americans’ and using Florida’s cases as evidence of irresponsibility or a republican indifference is very cack handed and the briefest of research outside of the nonsense media with archive pictures of a crowded south beach from five years ago will uncover that.

In reality the area affected is trying really hard and I know personally people coming down from north Florida expressing surprise at the seriousness with which its being taken in more liberal south Florida. Where the outbreaks happening.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn’t mean you necessarily mate - however it can be very Redneck when it puts its mind to it - my point was the majority of cases are in south Florida multicultural urban and democrat. The ‘oh look at the silly Americans’ and using Florida’s cases as evidence of irresponsibility or a republican indifference is very cack handed and the briefest of research outside of the nonsense media with archive pictures of a crowded south beach from five years ago will uncover that.

In reality the area affected is trying really hard and I know personally people coming down from north Florida expressing surprise at the seriousness with which its being taken in more liberal south Florida. Where the outbreaks happening.

You have the inside story.

From what I can see from afar, the bullish and previously very opinionated Governor Ron DeSantis acted irresponsibly in vehemently pushing for an end to key elements of lockdown at the end of April and very beginning of May. Swept along by what he perceived as a winning strategy, he went as far as to slate states which had gone hard and prolonged lockdown.

What do non-party polarised Floridians now think about it all?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
77% of States with an R lower than 1 voted Democrat in the last election
71% of States with an R higher than 1 voted Republican in the last election

???

Screen-Shot-2020-07-02-at-23.18.13.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9402010 said:
77% of States with an R lower than 1 voted Democrat in the last election
71% of States with an R higher than 1 voted Republican in the last election

???

View attachment 125658

That's interesting because one may expect the R to be higher in areas with higher social deprivation but this expresses the opposite. However, maybe the States with lower R which are Democrat such as New York, already passed through the first wave of the epidemic and are simply at a later stage?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
58000 new cases yesterday, I really hope the majority of people catching it are younger people who probably won’t die from it otherwise the death toll in a weeks time will start going up dramatically.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You have the inside story.

From what I can see from afar, the bullish and previously very opinionated Governor Ron DeSantis acted irresponsibly in vehemently pushing for an end to key elements of lockdown at the end of April and very beginning of May. Swept along by what he perceived as a winning strategy, he went as far as to slate states which had gone hard and prolonged lockdown.

What do non-party polarised Floridians now think about it all?

The key with Florida recently has been the lack of continuity and a failing from the hierarchy at state level to get a handle on this. Many of the decisions relating to the wearing of face masks for example have been left up to city districts. You can have one city making wearing face masks mandatory in bars restaurants and public transport and a city next door (imagine the equivalent of Brighton next to Shoreham) under different city regulators saying no masks are needed. And its all seems dependent on how high the vocal protests are for or against.
Going from my family out there and what they and their friends are saying, they are just finding the whole situation utterly frustrating and a bit crackers......and thats pre-watershed language.
The nutters you see all over the news and in social media videos really are a minority voice, but just a very vocal one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The United States reported 60,021 new coronavirus cases and 1,195 deaths on Tuesday, according to Johns Hopkins University.

In related news...

Texas and Arizona ER doctors say they are losing hope as hospitals reach capacity

As concerns over the capacity of hospitals resurface amid surging Covid-19 cases, two emergency room doctors in the United States say they worry about where the pandemic could take them next.

Dr. Mina Tran, an emergency room doctor in Texas, said 70 to 80% of her patients have been admitted with upper respiratory or coronavirus complaints.

In Arizona, which saw its lowest-ever number of available ICU beds Tuesday, Dr. Murtaza Akhter told CNN's Don Lemon that so many patients are coming in, he is already having to make tough decisions over resources.

"I'm trying not to be an alarmist. I'm an emergency physician -- we're prepped for this. Dr. Tran and I both trained very hard for this. But we can't just build beds overnight. We can't just hire staff overnight. And like I said, our numbers are only increasing," he said. "It's only going to get worse and that's the scary part."
With a rise in hospitalization rates across the US, doctors like Akhter are reporting waiting lists for ICU beds and having to decide who will be admitted for treatment and who will not.

Surges in hospitalization and infection rates have followed larger crowds gathering in newly reopened public spaces. Every state has launched its plan to reopen, and 35 are currently seeing more new cases reported compared to last week.

Tran applauded Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's decision to close down bars once again but said she does think the state was too quick to open back up.

While many states have paused or rolled back reopening in light of a resurgence of cases, Akhter said seeing individuals continue to disregard safe practices as his emergency room treats coronavirus patients makes him feel like he is "losing hope."​

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
In related news, Arizona is moving into Biden's column and Texas is becoming competitive.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The United States reported 60,021 new coronavirus cases and 1,195 deaths on Tuesday, according to Johns Hopkins University.

In related news...

Texas and Arizona ER doctors say they are losing hope as hospitals reach capacity

As concerns over the capacity of hospitals resurface amid surging Covid-19 cases, two emergency room doctors in the United States say they worry about where the pandemic could take them next.

Dr. Mina Tran, an emergency room doctor in Texas, said 70 to 80% of her patients have been admitted with upper respiratory or coronavirus complaints.

In Arizona, which saw its lowest-ever number of available ICU beds Tuesday, Dr. Murtaza Akhter told CNN's Don Lemon that so many patients are coming in, he is already having to make tough decisions over resources.

"I'm trying not to be an alarmist. I'm an emergency physician -- we're prepped for this. Dr. Tran and I both trained very hard for this. But we can't just build beds overnight. We can't just hire staff overnight. And like I said, our numbers are only increasing," he said. "It's only going to get worse and that's the scary part."
With a rise in hospitalization rates across the US, doctors like Akhter are reporting waiting lists for ICU beds and having to decide who will be admitted for treatment and who will not.

Surges in hospitalization and infection rates have followed larger crowds gathering in newly reopened public spaces. Every state has launched its plan to reopen, and 35 are currently seeing more new cases reported compared to last week.

Tran applauded Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's decision to close down bars once again but said she does think the state was too quick to open back up.

While many states have paused or rolled back reopening in light of a resurgence of cases, Akhter said seeing individuals continue to disregard safe practices as his emergency room treats coronavirus patients makes him feel like he is "losing hope."​

We saw this coming a couple of weeks ago, Trump still in total denial though and convinced he's doing a good job.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
looks like the US is matching Johnson's government in congratulating themselves for a job well done.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53330509

We reported earlier that the US has passed 3 million confirmed cases of coronavirus, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
Vice President Mike Pence has just confirmed this at a press conference, and added that more than 130,000 people had died.
Removing his mask to address reporters, Pence went on to defend President Trump's handling of the pandemic. He said the latest wave of cases seemed to be flattening out.
"While we mourn with those who mourn, because of what the American people have done, because of the extraordinary work of our healthcare workers around the country, we are encouraged that the average fatality rate continues to be low and steady," he said.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Another record for the USA yesterday, 60000 cases. Deaths have now started increasing at the time you would expect as well, around 14-21 days after the second surge of cases. Not good at all and it will get much worse.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another record for the USA yesterday, 60000 cases. Deaths have now started increasing at the time you would expect as well, around 14-21 days after the second surge of cases. Not good at all and it will get much worse.
I refer you to post #95 in this thread. US leadership in denial.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
BREAKING: ‘All the Hospitals Are Full’: In Houston, Overwhelmed ICUs Leave COVID-19 Patients Waiting in ERs
https://www.propublica.org/article/...d-icus-leave-covid-19-patients-waiting-in-ers

Texas congressmen and senators still denying there is even a problem and as recent as yesterday were pushing for schools to be re-opened as "We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others" - Sen Cornyn.

Seems like if you don't know and your cities are overwhelmed, maybe do something to help out and put a pin in reopening schools for a few days??

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BREAKING: ‘All the Hospitals Are Full’: In Houston, Overwhelmed ICUs Leave COVID-19 Patients Waiting in ERs
https://www.propublica.org/article/...d-icus-leave-covid-19-patients-waiting-in-ers

Texas congressmen and senators still denying there is even a problem and as recent as yesterday were pushing for schools to be re-opened as "We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others" - Sen Cornyn.

Seems like if you don't know and your cities are overwhelmed, maybe do something to help out and put a pin in reopening schools for a few days??

Senator Cornyn sounds as thick as :shit:.

It was known by March, April at the very latest that kids are most definitely transmitters, as we all are.

It was also accepted that although kids gets covid, but their youthful, healthy bodies are 99.9% of the time barely affected by the virus.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hopkins is a day behind but their data are the gold standard. As noted above the US reports over 60,000 new cases in a day for the frst time. This upward trend is obviously the result in an increase in testing, which is the finest testing in the world.

didn't they do well.PNG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here