Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus and the USA

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
can't help feeling your last sentence sounds like England
True, at least Johnson has the common sense to keep mostly out of the limelight. Further embarrassment for Trump's handling of the Covid-19 crisis is the fact that the US will be on the list of countries whose citizens will be restricted from visiting the EU.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All Trump seems to care about is his S&P500 which is insane in a crisis. He’s all smiles when it rises, blames traders when it slumps the mans a moron.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Probably worthy of its own thread given the escalating situation over there, which doesn't even seem to be a second wave, more an extension of the first one.

Florida has just announced nearly 9,000 new infections today, a new record. The previous record was c5,000 from earlier this week, so things seem to be escalating fast, as is also the case in the likes of Texas.

In Florida they have immediately moved to stop bars selling alcohol for on-premises consumption, since it is believed that people returning to bars has been a catalyst for the virus spreading quickly again.

My second son and his wife are singers on the Carnival cruise liners and were sent home from Florida during their rehearsal period prior to the new season starting. They are awaiting information on if and when they are to return to continue their contracts! He understood that they would hear something this week regarding their return so will update as soon as i hear from him. He's a good lad and as soon as he returned here at the end of March he applied and got work delivering parcels (75p) a drop off though these rates have now improved and he's now earning a reasonable living which was necessary as they had just bought their first house together even though they were/are still being paid their contract remuneration from Carnival. He doesn't expect to return any time soon but is hoping they will give some sort of return date even if its next year!!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Florida sets new daily record with 9,585 Covid-19 cases

Florida health officials have reported 9,585 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, according to the Florida Department of Health (DOH).

Saturday's data is the highest single day reporting of coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic, surpassing Friday's 8,942 reported cases.

Florida now has 132,545 Covid-19 cases in the state, according to DOH's daily report.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Florida health officials have reported 9,585 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, according to the Florida Department of Health (DOH).

Saturday's data is the highest single day reporting of coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic, surpassing Friday's 8,942 reported cases.

Florida now has 132,545 Covid-19 cases in the state, according to DOH's daily report.

With just a 21m population.

To benchmark to some European nations hit hard by covid, with far greater populations, daily new cases (using a 7 day rolling average) for each peaked as follows:
Spain 7,800
UK & Italy 5,500
France 4,500

Governor Ron DeSantis is now bottling the non-Alt Right media, releasing his daily locations diary, in the evening once all his appointments are over, to avoid questions.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
With just a 21m population.

To benchmark to some European nations hit hard by covid, with far greater populations, daily new cases (using a 7 day rolling average) for each peaked as follows:
Spain 7,800
UK & Italy 5,500
France 4,500

Governor Ron DeSantis is now bottling the non-Alt Right media, releasing his daily locations diary, in the evening once all his appointments are over, to avoid questions.

Be interesting to see if they end up with horrendous mortality rates like New York and over here. Or even worse. Given that some people are keen to promote 'the virus is weakening' this may answer some of those questions. Although politically USA is in a very bad place, I would trust their figures far more than Brazil, Mexico or India.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Be interesting to see if they end up with horrendous mortality rates like New York and over here. Or even worse. Given that some people are keen to promote 'the virus is weakening' this may answer some of those questions. Although politically USA is in a very bad place, I would trust their figures far more than Brazil, Mexico or India.

It crossed my mind that Trump would love John Hopkins University to shut the **** up with their annoying facts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably worthy of its own thread given the escalating situation over there, which doesn't even seem to be a second wave, more an extension of the first one.

Florida has just announced nearly 9,000 new infections today, a new record. The previous record was c5,000 from earlier this week, so things seem to be escalating fast, as is also the case in the likes of Texas.

In Florida they have immediately moved to stop bars selling alcohol for on-premises consumption, since it is believed that people returning to bars has been a catalyst for the virus spreading quickly again.

I guess you've seen this.....

Florida.PNG

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Im seeing quite a few people saying that Governor Desantis administration is even suppressing the real numbers in Florida, which allegedly are far worse than are being let on.
Dont know what to make of that, but certainly a number of people are sharing the same rumour....... mind you, the land of the conspiracy theory and fake news, who knows.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The truly worrying and, genuinely horrifying, part of all this is that the USA is meant to be one of the best educated countries in the world.

Using religion to justify your argument happens everywhere.
You are much more likely to see evidence of it happening stateside here in the UK as opposed to other countries because people have the freedom to preach their particular brand of religion over there and others are free to criticise it.......... sounds like a good compromise to me. I find religion daft, but i will stand shoulder to shoulder with religious types in having the right to believe what they do, and the rights of others to say...."you know its bonkers , right"

It would be unfair to generalise the whole of the US based on the religious rant of one silly person, i know plenty of yanks and none are like her at all. They are pretty much like you and me, decent people just trying to get on with their life, paying their bills, providing for family and trying not to be dickheads to others.
(exceptions always exist)

But getting back on track( so i dont get bear tagged off the thread), Florida is really worrying, its rising away from the east coast hot spots through to Tampa and Orlando westward and Jacksonvile northward. Tallahassee might provide a natural border further west into the gulf shores but its not looking good.

I am genuinely concerned for family and friends out there. They are not the panicking type of people but the sudden rise has got them completely spooked.

Edit. ps not having a go at you, but do get rather bored of the generalisations of Americans, which is not representative when you actually visit the place and meet the people.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Im seeing quite a few people saying that Governor Desantis administration is even suppressing the real numbers in Florida, which allegedly are far worse than are being let on.
Dont know what to make of that, but certainly a number of people are sharing the same rumour....... mind you, the land of the conspiracy theory and fake news, who knows.

Well...

A scientist who was fired from overseeing Florida’s Covid-19 database has created her own coronavirus dashboard – which she says proves Florida is not ready to reopen.

Dr Rebekah Jones was fired by the Florida department of health in May. She said she was sidelined after she refused to manipulate data regarding the severity of Covid-19, which would have restricted the state’s plan to reopen its economy.​

Source >>> https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...s-cases-counter-rebekah-jones-fired-scientist

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Dr Rebekah Jones was fired by the Florida department of health in May. She said she was sidelined after she refused to manipulate data regarding the severity of Covid-19, which would have restricted the state’s plan to reopen its economy.[/indent]

She has got an axe to grind, but that is scandalous if true. Manipulating data is fraud. That's a crime of dishonesty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here