Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus and the USA

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And here we go again....

Some areas of Missouri are the first to reach the tipping point of Delta prevalence where the steady decline of cases turns around and hospital beds begin to fill up.

It's one of the areas with very low vaccination take-up to date, making it ripe for this more transmissible variant to rip through.

As the U.S. emerges from the COVID-19 crisis, Missouri is becoming a cautionary tale for the rest of the country: It is seeing an alarming rise in cases because of a combination of the fast-spreading delta variant and stubborn resistance among many people to getting vaccinated.

Intensive care beds are filling up with surprisingly young, unvaccinated patients, and staff members are getting burned out fighting a battle that was supposed to be in its final throes.

The hope among some health leaders is that the rest of the U.S. might at least learn something from Missouri’s plight.

“If people elsewhere in the country are looking to us and saying, ‘No thanks’ and they are getting vaccinated, that is good,” said Erik Frederick, chief administrative officer at Mercy Hospital Springfield, which has been inundated with COVID-19 patients as the variant first identified in India rips through the largely non-immunized community. “We will be the canary.”​

Source of the above and a good summary of the current situation in Missouri >>> https://apnews.com/article/mo-state...demic-health-89fa995c59397228d8d56e1ab45890ab

Get jabbed people - they work!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A couple of days old … Biden’s still blocking entrants to the US, including from Canada. 2021 shirley now another wash out for hopes of travelling there.

18 months and possibly more of complete isolation, that should have a devastating effect on a huge tourism sector.

I’m guessing surviving due to its internal market of 330m folk?

8DF57DF1-507D-4B1F-AA41-66012695705B.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A couple of days old … Biden’s still blocking entrants to the US, including from Canada. 2021 shirley now another wash out for hopes of travelling there.

18 months and possibly more of complete isolation, that should have a devastating effect on a huge tourism sector.

It's far from complete isolation. Residents from many countries can still enter the US directly, including those from Mexico and Canada. They have to fly though, it's the land borders that are closed.

Many of those free to enter the US can do so from countries that have been, or are, in worse positions than the UK too.

And, finally, UK residents are free to enter the US, just not directly from the UK. You can enjoy two weeks on the beaches of the likes of Barbados or Mexico and then enter the US restriction free.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's far from complete isolation. Residents from many countries can still enter the US directly, including those from Mexico and Canada. They have to fly though, it's the land borders that are closed.

Many of those free to enter the US can do so from countries that have been, or are, in worse positions than the UK too.

And, finally, UK residents are free to enter the US, just not directly from the UK. You can enjoy two weeks on the beaches of the likes of Barbados or Mexico and then enter the US restriction free.

So that wall was built after all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Simon Calder’s mentioned the UK to Mexico to US ruse/route for ages. Are you tempted? I can’t be bothered just now, but will in 2022 if Biden’s stance continues.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Simon Calder’s mentioned the UK to Mexico to US ruse/route for ages. Are you tempted? I can’t be bothered just now, but will in 2022 if Biden’s stance continues.

I had a serious look at going via Mexico or Barbados for a while. I've got a shitload of Virgin miles and there was decent availability to get PE/Upper into Barbados and back home from Miami.

Getting a dog sitter for 4-5 weeks was the problem - both of our regular sitters were booked up. Beyond that, there's the nagging doubt of something going wrong, which could be any of...

- US banning entry completely from your first stop. Unlikely, but a possibility.
- UK making the US 'red', requiring hotel quarantine upon arrival. Again, unlikely but it was always clear to me that one Delta took a grip over there, things could worsen rapidly.
- One/some of us group testing positive before flying home.

The latter was the main potential issue for us, since having to wait it out in the US before being able to fly home would mean Mrs B missing the start of a new job in September and Bozza jnr missing the start of secondary school.

If it was just me, I'd not think twice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a serious look at going via Mexico or Barbados for a while. I've got a shitload of Virgin miles and there was decent availability to get PE/Upper into Barbados and back home from Miami.

Getting a dog sitter for 4-5 weeks was the problem - both of our regular sitters were booked up. Beyond that, there's the nagging doubt of something going wrong, which could be any of...

- US banning entry completely from your first stop. Unlikely, but a possibility.
- UK making the US 'red', requiring hotel quarantine upon arrival. Again, unlikely but it was always clear to me that one Delta took a grip over there, things could worsen rapidly.
- One/some of us group testing positive before flying home.

The latter was the main potential issue for us, since having to wait it out in the US before being able to fly home would mean Mrs B missing the start of a new job in September and Bozza jnr missing the start of secondary school.

If it was just me, I'd not think twice.

Attrition, we’re down to just 2 out of 4 in Ibiza, for not dissimilar reasons including Mrs.W who’s a practitioner at Worthing Hospital …. she was stressed at the thought of testing positive here or the location going amber+/red.

A Sussex cattery owner told me that the savvy are booking their slots ages ahead, before looking at flights!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Attrition, we’re down to just 2 out of 4 in Ibiza, for not dissimilar reasons including Mrs.W who’s a practitioner at Worthing Hospital …. she was stressed at the thought of testing positive here or the location going amber+/red.

A Sussex cattery owner told me that the savvy are booking their slots ages ahead, before looking at flights!

I was going to do that much earlier in the year but given all the uncertainty, I didn't think that was fair on the dog-sitter(s), since they may well turn business away due to my booking, which ultimately could be cancelled.

Maybe I need to be a bit more selfish!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

View attachment 139020

He is mental.

The list of banned countries is basically UK/EU/China/Iran/Brazil

South America/most of Africa is fine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is mental.

The list of banned countries is basically UK/EU/China/Iran/Brazil

South America/most of Africa is fine.

Canada by air fine, by road not fine.

Mexico was okay including Brits, both when Mexico had bad numbers, Brits Delta variant.

Their travel industry are bemoaning Biden’s inconsistencies.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Canada said they'd be willing to open up the land border next week. This was after months of the US wanting Canada to do so.

Then as soon as Canada announces it, the US decide they want it closed for at least another month :lolol: :facepalm:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think the states were close to opening up to the UK, EU etc but the Delta bump has squashed that plan.

October seems a bit more likely now.

Can't really blame them for that.

I still don't understand how Mexico is so freely open both ways, it's bizarre. When I was in Mexico city I could almost feel Corona in the air, it was rife, yet I could just take a flight into the states with hardly any checks or hassles.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Visiting the US could be about to get difficult again, just after things eased up...

The Biden administration is preparing stricter testing requirements for all travelers entering the United States, including returning Americans, to curb the spread of the potentially dangerous omicron variant, according to three federal health officials.

As part of an enhanced winter covid strategy Biden is expected to announce Thursday, U.S. officials would require everyone entering the country to be tested one day before boarding flights, regardless of their vaccination status or country of departure. Administration officials are also considering a requirement that all travelers get retested within three to five days of arrival.

In addition, they are debating a controversial proposal to require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to self-quarantine for seven days, even if their test results are negative. Those who flout the requirements might be subject to fines and penalties, the first time such penalties would be linked to testing and quarantine measures for travelers in the United States.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/30/omicron-stricter-travel-rules-us-entry/

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Visiting the US could be about to get difficult again, just after things eased up...

The Biden administration is preparing stricter testing requirements for all travelers entering the United States, including returning Americans, to curb the spread of the potentially dangerous omicron variant, according to three federal health officials.

As part of an enhanced winter covid strategy Biden is expected to announce Thursday, U.S. officials would require everyone entering the country to be tested one day before boarding flights, regardless of their vaccination status or country of departure. Administration officials are also considering a requirement that all travelers get retested within three to five days of arrival.

In addition, they are debating a controversial proposal to require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to self-quarantine for seven days, even if their test results are negative. Those who flout the requirements might be subject to fines and penalties, the first time such penalties would be linked to testing and quarantine measures for travelers in the United States.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/30/omicron-stricter-travel-rules-us-entry/

Which wont be lifted till March/April

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Can understand the purpose now, but once country has more self induced infections than travelling in, its more questionable.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here